|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-19 18:52:35
|
The perfect release date for DEVIL Linux 1.0 is Oct 31, or Halloween! Or the evening of Oct 30th (Devil's night)! :-) Why didn't anyone thing of that before ... Duh! :-) It's a little less than two weeks, and will give us a chance to do some publicity. I think news sites will be more apt to pick up our press release(s) if we make a big deal about it happening on Halloween. Heiko, approve the date and I'll write up something. Other people should feel free to write articles too. I know a fellow LUG member who works at OSDN (slashdot, newsforge, sourceforge, linux.com, freshmeat, etc.) who told me before that he'd help me get something posted. (assuming I can write something decent) Heiko, you should compile 1.0-final a few days in advance so it's ready to go, just don't post it for download until 10/31. What ya think? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-20 02:19:49
|
Howdy ! Bruce Smith wrote: >The perfect release date for DEVIL Linux 1.0 is Oct 31, or Halloween! >Or the evening of Oct 30th (Devil's night)! :-) > I think Halloween is more commonly known then Devil's night (though I would prefer it). >Why didn't anyone thing of that before ... Duh! :-) > Yeah why not ? >It's a little less than two weeks, and will give us a chance to do some >publicity. I think news sites will be more apt to pick up our press >release(s) if we make a big deal about it happening on Halloween. > >Heiko, approve the date and I'll write up something. Other people >should feel free to write articles too. > Approved ! Release date will be October 31 ! Yes please write something up, your english is much better then mine. Anybody else wants to write something ? The only request we ( I ) have is, that it is ready for review by Bruce and myself on October 29th. >I know a fellow LUG member who works at OSDN (slashdot, newsforge, >sourceforge, linux.com, freshmeat, etc.) who told me before that he'd >help me get something posted. (assuming I can write something decent) > Cool ! Pay him a beer. ;-) >Heiko, you should compile 1.0-final a few days in advance so it's ready >to go, just don't post it for download until 10/31. What ya think? > > Fully agreed. It's better to do it a few days earlier, since I had some problems with the build machine last time. cya Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-20 02:59:06
|
Hej!
Heiko Zuerker wrote on 20.10.2003 03:10 MET:
> Approved ! Release date will be October 31 !
Devil Linux 1.0 Halloween Edition :-)
> Yes please write something up, your english is much better then mine.
>
> Anybody else wants to write something ?
> The only request we ( I ) have is, that it is ready for review by Bruce
> and myself on October 29th.
What we can mention is:
* kernel version (FreeSWAN and netfilter patches applied, maybe
mention some other important patch here)
* a lot new software (just mentioning the most important ones)
compiled with GCC stack smashing protector
* runs mostly from CD
* supports USB flash media as config storage
* can even be installed on usb flash and maybe other flash devices
* new build system for creating customized versions
--
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock
____________________________________________________________________
Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock
URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl...
____________________________________________________________________
|
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 06:44:07
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Hej! > > Heiko Zuerker wrote on 20.10.2003 03:10 MET: > >> Approved ! Release date will be October 31 ! > > > Devil Linux 1.0 Halloween Edition :-) > > >> Yes please write something up, your english is much better then mine. >> >> Anybody else wants to write something ? >> The only request we ( I ) have is, that it is ready for review by >> Bruce and myself on October 29th. > > > What we can mention is: > * kernel version (FreeSWAN and netfilter patches applied, maybe > mention some other important patch here) > * a lot new software (just mentioning the most important ones) > compiled with GCC stack smashing protector > * runs mostly from CD > * supports USB flash media as config storage > * can even be installed on usb flash and maybe other flash devices > * new build system for creating customized versions > Ok here's more to mention: * Kernel Security through GRSecurity * SMTP / POP3 / IMAP4 / SPAM Filter / Virus Scanner * Optional Harddisk Support. * Can be booted from USB flash media, many other device can be easily supported * Even Lotus Notes 5/6 Server in a chroot jail is supported and even pre-configured * Easy-to-use build system, to create the exact version *you* want * Setup Program There's more...... Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 14:51:29
|
> > There's more...... > Check also out what's on the introduction page on our website. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-20 13:01:24
|
> >The perfect release date for DEVIL Linux 1.0 is Oct 31, or Halloween! > >Or the evening of Oct 30th (Devil's night)! :-) > > I think Halloween is more commonly known then Devil's night (though I > would prefer it). True. I would advertise the release date as Halloween, but really upload the ISO's the night before. Kind of a "sneak preview". :-) > >It's a little less than two weeks, and will give us a chance to do some > >publicity. I think news sites will be more apt to pick up our press > >release(s) if we make a big deal about it happening on Halloween. > > > >Heiko, approve the date and I'll write up something. Other people > >should feel free to write articles too. > > > Approved ! Release date will be October 31 ! Great! > Yes please write something up, your english is much better then mine. OK, if you (or others) could give me a list of items that should be mentioned, (like Friedrich did), that would be very helpful. > Anybody else wants to write something ? > The only request we ( I ) have is, that it is ready for review by Bruce > and myself on October 29th. We might want to post some blurbs before then too. > >Heiko, you should compile 1.0-final a few days in advance so it's ready > >to go, just don't post it for download until 10/31. What ya think? > > > Fully agreed. > It's better to do it a few days earlier, since I had some problems with > the build machine last time. If you want help uploading, I have access to a lot of bandwidth. Or I can help compiling too, let me know ... - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-20 17:00:24
|
Bruce Smith wrote on 20.10.2003 14:21 MET: >>Yes please write something up, your english is much better then mine. > > OK, if you (or others) could give me a list of items that should be > mentioned, (like Friedrich did), that would be very helpful. Maybe you can make up some clever text post it to the list and then we can start commenting on it and giving our own suggestions. Someone here in the marketing department? -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-10-22 17:56:21
|
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:27:23AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > > > There's more...... > > > > Check also out what's on the introduction page on our website. Also: Could be easily customized so you could turn your DL version into a: Lotus Notes Server Firewall (with secure tunneling [freeswan, openvpn]) DNS Server (bind, djbdns) Email Server (smtp+pop+webmail [qmail,fetchmail,squirrel,qpopper]) Web Server + Accelerator (qos+web proxy/cache [apache,Squid]) Distributed compiler cluster [mosix] ... -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 19:38:59
|
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:27:23AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> > >> > There's more...... >> > >> >> Check also out what's on the introduction page on our website. > > Also: > > Could be easily customized so you could turn your DL version into a: > > Lotus Notes Server > Firewall (with secure tunneling [freeswan, openvpn]) > DNS Server (bind, djbdns) > Email Server (smtp+pop+webmail [qmail,fetchmail,squirrel,qpopper]) > Web Server + Accelerator (qos+web proxy/cache [apache,Squid]) > Distributed compiler cluster [mosix] > Don't mention Apache, this is in 1.1. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-27 14:30:26
|
Ok, I've merged your suggestions to mention in the form of a press release. For the moment I'm hosting it on my LUG's web server. I believe this should be finalized and moved to the devil-linux.org site before the release date. Please review and comment: http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/devil-linux-1.0-press-release.php - BS |