|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-20 04:20:30
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >Another message that hasn't showed up yet. >I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. > > You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config will screw other things up. It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-20 12:36:28
|
On 10/19/2003 09:15:21 PM Heiko Zuerker wrote: >Bruce Smith wrote: > >>Another message that hasn't showed up yet. >>I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. >> >> >You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config will= >screw other things up. > >It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new did you try to update a 0.5 configuration ? You should do it, before you add it to 1.0 cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-20 15:08:05
|
> did you try to update a 0.5 configuration ? > You should do it, before you add it to 1.0 I no longer have any 0.5 configs. Can someone send me their etc from a 0.5? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-20 17:49:33
|
On 10/20/2003 08:23:28 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >Another message that hasn't showed up yet. >> >I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. >> > >> You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config wi= ll >> screw other things up. >> >> It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new > >Would it be better to unconditionally omit copying /etc/sysconfig/conf= ig >and display a message to "run setup" to rebuild it? > >I can do it either way. There are some settings which should be upgraded. I.e. timezone, hostname, keyboard... Can you "update" those? Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-21 19:59:17
|
> >> >Another message that hasn't showed up yet. > >> >I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. > >> > > >> You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config will > >> screw other things up. > >> > >> It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new > > > >Would it be better to unconditionally omit copying /etc/sysconfig/config > >and display a message to "run setup" to rebuild it? > > > >I can do it either way. > > There are some settings which should be upgraded. > I.e. timezone, hostname, keyboard... > > Can you "update" those? I'll do better, I'll "update" every value that changed! :-) I also keep copies of the old & default config files, PLUS I keep a log of everything changed at: /etc/sysconfig/upgrade.log Changes committed (in 1.1). - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 02:44:26
|
>> >> >Another message that hasn't showed up yet. >> >> >I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. >> >> > >> >> You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config >> will >> >> screw other things up. >> >> >> >> It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new >> > >> >Would it be better to unconditionally omit copying >> /etc/sysconfig/config >> >and display a message to "run setup" to rebuild it? >> > >> >I can do it either way. >> >> There are some settings which should be upgraded. >> I.e. timezone, hostname, keyboard... >> >> Can you "update" those? > > I'll do better, I'll "update" every value that changed! :-) > > I also keep copies of the old & default config files, PLUS > I keep a log of everything changed at: /etc/sysconfig/upgrade.log > > Changes committed (in 1.1). STOP ! STOP ! If you add more stuff, we need to start charging for it. ;-) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-22 13:49:49
|
> >> There are some settings which should be upgraded. > >> I.e. timezone, hostname, keyboard... > >> > >> Can you "update" those? > > > > I'll do better, I'll "update" every value that changed! :-) > > > > I also keep copies of the old & default config files, PLUS > > I keep a log of everything changed at: /etc/sysconfig/upgrade.log > > > > Changes committed (in 1.1). > > STOP ! STOP ! > > If you add more stuff, we need to start charging for it. ;-) OK, I'm done with that ... for now. :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-20 18:10:39
|
On 10/20/2003 10:26:31 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> did you try to update a 0.5 configuration ? >> You should do it, before you add it to 1.0 > >I no longer have any 0.5 configs. > >Can someone send me their etc from a 0.5? You can use a default etc.tar.bz2 and just change a few things. Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-20 14:08:41
|
> >Another message that hasn't showed up yet. > >I think we should consider adding this feature to 1.0 final. > > > You should add a warning, that i.e. keeping /etc/sysconfig/config will > screw other things up. > > It would also be good to keep a file /etc/sysconfig/config.new Would it be better to unconditionally omit copying /etc/sysconfig/config and display a message to "run setup" to rebuild it? I can do it either way. - BS |