|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-16 13:43:42
|
On 10/16/2003 09:18:26 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >General question (not necessarily directed toward UPnP): > >Do we need to start getting picky about what software is included? > >One of these days in the not so distant future, the DL ISO is going to= >become too large to fit on a single CD. In my experience it's much >easier to reject software requests now, as opposed to removing softwar= e >later to reduce the size. (at least we won't piss off people as much := ) > >Or maybe we don't worry about it, and when DL doesn't fit on a CD any >longer we start building different ISO's? (firewall edition, mail >server edition, web server edition, ... stupid software edition :) > >Or maybe DL goes DVD-only after it surpasses the 650/700MB limit? > >As I said, I'm not picking on UPnP. I haven't read about it yet, and >don't really understand what it is. This is just something I've been >wondering about for awhile ... It's a very good point. I'm not sure how we should handle it. It's sometimes hard to decide if we really need a specific software. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-16 14:23:51
|
On 10/16/2003 09:57:07 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >One of these days in the not so distant future, the DL ISO is going= >to >> >become too large to fit on a single CD. In my experience it's much= >> >easier to reject software requests now, as opposed to removing >software >> >later to reduce the size. (at least we won't piss off people as muc= h >:) >> > >> >Or maybe we don't worry about it, and when DL doesn't fit on a CD a= ny >> >longer we start building different ISO's? (firewall edition, mail >> >server edition, web server edition, ... stupid software edition :) >> > >> >Or maybe DL goes DVD-only after it surpasses the 650/700MB limit? >> >> It's a very good point. > >I'm afraid it'll happen soon. Especially if we keep adding everything= >that is requested. Everybody is going to want something different. > >> I'm not sure how we should handle it. >> It's sometimes hard to decide if we really need a specific software.= > >Let me say first that I'm NOT in favor of a DVD distro, which leaves u= s >with two other options (as far as I can tell): > >1) Get tough and start rejecting software requests. > >2) Keep accepting all/most reasonable requests and plan on creating >multiple editions (ISO's) sometime in the future. > >I'm actually leaning toward #2. If we go with #1 and don't accept >another software request ever again, we'll still run out of room somed= ay >because existing packages will continue growing in size. I agree with 2, too. ;-) We were talking about this earlier, it should be fairly easy to add profiles to our menuconfig. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-16 14:47:51
|
> >Let me say first that I'm NOT in favor of a DVD distro, which leaves us > >with two other options (as far as I can tell): > > > >1) Get tough and start rejecting software requests. > > > >2) Keep accepting all/most reasonable requests and plan on creating > >multiple editions (ISO's) sometime in the future. > > > >I'm actually leaning toward #2. If we go with #1 and don't accept > >another software request ever again, we'll still run out of room someday > >because existing packages will continue growing in size. > > I agree with 2, too. ;-) Yeah. I'd only agree with #1 if I get what *I* want included! ;-) Speaking of adding crap, how about "gpm"? Sometimes it'd be nice to be able to copy/paste stuff with a mouse. And it'd be easier for users to send exact error messages to us! :-) > We were talking about this earlier, it should be fairly easy to add > profiles to our menuconfig. Deciding what to put in the profiles will be the difficult thing. Everyone will want a different combination, like the recent poster who's running Samba on his firewall because money is tight ... (not picking on him, I just see Samba being in a different profile that the firewall stuff) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-16 15:17:39
|
On 10/16/2003 10:47:37 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >Let me say first that I'm NOT in favor of a DVD distro, which leave= s >us >> >with two other options (as far as I can tell): >> > >> >1) Get tough and start rejecting software requests. >> > >> >2) Keep accepting all/most reasonable requests and plan on creatin= g >> >multiple editions (ISO's) sometime in the future. >> > >> >I'm actually leaning toward #2. If we go with #1 and don't accept >> >another software request ever again, we'll still run out of room >someday >> >because existing packages will continue growing in size. >> >> I agree with 2, too. ;-) > >Yeah. I'd only agree with #1 if I get what *I* want included! ;-) Same here. ;-) >Speaking of adding crap, how about "gpm"? >Sometimes it'd be nice to be able to copy/paste stuff with a mouse. >And it'd be easier for users to send exact error messages to us! :-) Why not.... >> We were talking about this earlier, it should be fairly easy to add >> profiles to our menuconfig. > >Deciding what to put in the profiles will be the difficult thing. >Everyone will want a different combination, like the recent poster >who's running Samba on his firewall because money is tight ... >(not picking on him, I just see Samba being in a different profile >that the firewall stuff) I would say we do it base on our best judgment. If a user really doesn't like how we selected it: get the build system = and create your own version. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-10-20 00:31:41
|
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:16:32AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >(not picking on him, I just see Samba being in a different profile > >that the firewall stuff) > > I would say we do it base on our best judgment. > If a user really doesn't like how we selected it: get the build system and > create your own version. thats what i do. i build a custom version of dl that fits my needs every month (more or less). I only include what i need on my firewall/network storage servers. I hope that this month i'll have enough time to build my first usb based release :) -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-20 00:58:28
|
Diego Torres wrote: >On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:16:32AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > >>>(not picking on him, I just see Samba being in a different profile >>>that the firewall stuff) >>> >>> >>I would say we do it base on our best judgment. >>If a user really doesn't like how we selected it: get the build system and >>create your own version. >> >> > >thats what i do. i build a custom version of dl that fits my needs every month (more or less). I only include what i need on my firewall/network storage servers. > >I hope that this month i'll have enough time to build my first usb based release :) > > > I'm glad to hear that our users actually use this feature. ;-) cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-16 13:57:09
|
> >One of these days in the not so distant future, the DL ISO is going to
> >become too large to fit on a single CD. In my experience it's much
> >easier to reject software requests now, as opposed to removing software
> >later to reduce the size. (at least we won't piss off people as much :)
> >
> >Or maybe we don't worry about it, and when DL doesn't fit on a CD any
> >longer we start building different ISO's? (firewall edition, mail
> >server edition, web server edition, ... stupid software edition :)
> >
> >Or maybe DL goes DVD-only after it surpasses the 650/700MB limit?
>
> It's a very good point.
I'm afraid it'll happen soon. Especially if we keep adding everything
that is requested. Everybody is going to want something different.
> I'm not sure how we should handle it.
> It's sometimes hard to decide if we really need a specific software.
Let me say first that I'm NOT in favor of a DVD distro, which leaves us
with two other options (as far as I can tell):
1) Get tough and start rejecting software requests.
2) Keep accepting all/most reasonable requests and plan on creating
multiple editions (ISO's) sometime in the future.
I'm actually leaning toward #2. If we go with #1 and don't accept
another software request ever again, we'll still run out of room someday
because existing packages will continue growing in size.
FWIW ... :-)
- BS
|