|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-14 19:50:30
|
RTFM ;-) http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s07.html#d0e864 cya Heiko On 10/14/2003 03:30:03 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >I recently had this brilliant idea to install Linux on a couple older >boxes. I have a P5-166 and a P5-100. Both have 80MB of memory, and a= >IDE CD drive. Both PC's boot a Windows-98 CDROM fine. When I boot >either PC from the latest DL CD, it reads the CD briefly, then I get: > >isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it... >isolinux: Failed to access CD-ROM device; boot failed. > >The same DL CD works fine on a newer PC. I tried a new CD drive on th= e >P5-1xx PC's and I get the same error. I checked for a newer BIOS on >both PC's, and they are already running the latest. > >A lot of google'ing leads me to believe this is a common problem with >older BIOS's. The syslinux/isolinux page implies old PC's like this m= ay >work with "memdisk" instead of isolinux, but that requires a floppy >image, which we don't produce and a standard size floppy image would b= e >too large to produce with all the modules we include in the initrd. > >Any suggestions before I try and produce a floppy image (minus the SCS= I >modules), and try and make it boot with memdisk, or standard mkisofs a= nd >a eltorito boot image ??? > >P.S. This is bad if DL won't boot on older PC's ... = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-14 21:00:13
|
On 10/14/2003 04:46:41 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> RTFM ;-) >> >> http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s07.html#d0e864 > > >That would be great, if it worked ... :-( > >When running linux.bat from C: I get: > >Uncompressing Linux ... >Invalid compressed format (err=3D2) >Halting system > >Got another RTFM for me? ;-) I was so sure I got you this time... I didn't use that function for quite a while, can you try it on a machi= ne where you know DL is booting? Just to make sure there are no memory problems or so. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-14 21:20:35
|
> >When running linux.bat from C: I get: > > > >Uncompressing Linux ... > >Invalid compressed format (err=2) > >Halting system > > I didn't use that function for quite a while, can you try it on a machine > where you know DL is booting? > Just to make sure there are no memory problems or so. No memory problems, I ran memtest86 for 26+ hours before I started. :-) The problem appears to be loadlin needs to be upgraded to version 16c. >From the loadlin-16c readme: LOADLIN-16c =========== Support for loading bzImages bigger than 1MB compressed. Those images may be produced by kernels >= 2.4.5 (setup_header_version >= 0x0202). So, I copied loadlin.exe (16c) to my floppy, and ran it from there. Boots fine! :-) BTW, the linux.bat kernel parameters probably need to be updated too, since they don't match the parameters in isolinux.cfg. Is this a bug fix for 1.0, or a new 1.1 feature? ;-> - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-14 23:16:48
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > So, I copied loadlin.exe (16c) to my floppy, and ran it from there. > Boots fine! :-) > > BTW, the linux.bat kernel parameters probably need to be updated too, > since they don't match the parameters in isolinux.cfg. > > Is this a bug fix for 1.0, or a new 1.1 feature? ;-> As it fixes a problem it is definitely a bug fix, I'd say. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-15 01:45:19
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >> So, I copied loadlin.exe (16c) to my floppy, and ran it from there. >> Boots fine! :-) >> >> BTW, the linux.bat kernel parameters probably need to be updated too, >> since they don't match the parameters in isolinux.cfg. >> >> Is this a bug fix for 1.0, or a new 1.1 feature? ;-> > > > As it fixes a problem it is definitely a bug fix, I'd say. > Agreed. RC2 is already uploaded, so it will go into RC3 then. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-15 12:25:46
|
> >> So, I copied loadlin.exe (16c) to my floppy, and ran it from there. > >> Boots fine! :-) > >> > >> BTW, the linux.bat kernel parameters probably need to be updated too, > >> since they don't match the parameters in isolinux.cfg. > >> > >> Is this a bug fix for 1.0, or a new 1.1 feature? ;-> > > > > As it fixes a problem it is definitely a bug fix, I'd say. > > > Agreed. Wow, an actual bug for 1.0 ... :-) > RC2 is already uploaded, so it will go into RC3 then. What's the best way to handle this one? The current source file is: loadlin16.tar.bz2 The author doesn't offer a new tar file, only a new loadlin.exe binary. Shall I replace the loadlin.exe binary and tar up my own package and name it loadlin16c.tar.bz2 ? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-15 12:52:26
|
On 10/15/2003 08:25:43 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >> So, I copied loadlin.exe (16c) to my floppy, and ran it from ther= e. >> >> Boots fine! :-) >> >> >> >> BTW, the linux.bat kernel parameters probably need to be updated >too, >> >> since they don't match the parameters in isolinux.cfg. >> >> >> >> Is this a bug fix for 1.0, or a new 1.1 feature? ;-> >> > >> > As it fixes a problem it is definitely a bug fix, I'd say. >> > >> Agreed. > >Wow, an actual bug for 1.0 ... :-) No. Actually a bug in <=3D 1.0-RC2 ;-) >> RC2 is already uploaded, so it will go into RC3 then. > >What's the best way to handle this one? > >The current source file is: loadlin16.tar.bz2 >The author doesn't offer a new tar file, only a new loadlin.exe binary= . Do I hate this... But at least there's an update. >Shall I replace the loadlin.exe binary and tar up my own package and >name it loadlin16c.tar.bz2 ? Name it loadlin16-devil.tar.bz2 , so we don't wonder in a couple of month... cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-15 13:16:06
|
> >Shall I replace the loadlin.exe binary and tar up my own package and > >name it loadlin16c.tar.bz2 ? > > Name it loadlin16-devil.tar.bz2 , so we don't wonder in a couple of > month... I named it loadlin16c-devil.tar.bz2, PLUS I added a Devil-Linux.txt file in the package telling what I did. I'll be uploading shortly ... - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-14 20:46:49
|
> RTFM ;-) > > http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s07.html#d0e864 That would be great, if it worked ... :-( When running linux.bat from C: I get: Uncompressing Linux ... Invalid compressed format (err=2) Halting system Got another RTFM for me? ;-) - BS |