|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 20:25:41
|
On 09/03/2003 04:07:20 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> for a long time I wanted to add vesa support and run my textmode in = a >> higher resolution. >> I didn't do it because I had some issues on some computers. >> >> But since Bruce wrote that nice script to modify files on the CD, we= >could >> offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter. > >I'll try it! > >What file do we change? Do you have a list of the VGA=3D values handy= ? # Normal VGA console vga =3D normal # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k # vga=3D791 # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k # vga=3D790 # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256 # vga=3D773 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k # vga=3D788 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k # vga=3D787 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256 # vga=3D771 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k # vga=3D785 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k # vga=3D784 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256 # vga=3D769 But it needs to be compiled into the Kernel first. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 20:26:11
|
On 09/03/2003 04:11:25 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >>for a long time I wanted to add vesa support and run my textmode in a= >>higher resolution. >>I didn't do it because I had some issues on some computers. >> >>But since Bruce wrote that nice script to modify files on the CD, we >could >>offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter. >> >>What ya'll think about it? > >IF it offered more lines of text on the syslog window - I would be for= >it. >Other than that, I don't expect there would be that much of a need. My understanding is, that all screens will run on the higher resolution= . Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 20:28:26
|
On 09/03/2003 04:07:20 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> for a long time I wanted to add vesa support and run my textmode in = a >> higher resolution. >> I didn't do it because I had some issues on some computers. >> >> But since Bruce wrote that nice script to modify files on the CD, we= >could >> offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter. > >I'll try it! > >What file do we change? Do you have a list of the VGA=3D values handy= ? Do the following to quickly try it: Go into the Kernel directory and modify it via "make menuconfig". Then do a "build/build.sh build opt=3Dlinux" and a "make clean install = iso". cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-03 20:39:39
|
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 16:27, Heiko Zuerker wrote:
> On 09/03/2003 04:07:20 PM Bruce Smith wrote:
> >> for a long time I wanted to add vesa support and run my textmode in =
a
> >> higher resolution.
> >> I didn't do it because I had some issues on some computers.
> >>
> >> But since Bruce wrote that nice script to modify files on the CD, we
> >could
> >> offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter.
> >
> >I'll try it!
> >
> >What file do we change? Do you have a list of the VGA=3D values handy=
?
>=20
> Do the following to quickly try it:
> Go into the Kernel directory and modify it via "make menuconfig".
> Then do a "build/build.sh build opt=3Dlinux" and a "make clean install =
iso".
As far as I can tell, it's already turned on. This option is selected:
=81 CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT: =
=81
=81 =
=81
=81 This enables support for text mode selection on kernel startup. If =
=81
=81 you want to take advantage of some high-resolution text mode your =
=81
=81 card's BIOS offers, but the traditional Linux utilities like =
=81
=81 SVGATextMode don't, you can say Y here and set the mode using the =
=81
=81 "vga=3D" option from your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) or set =
=81
=81 "vga=3Dask" which brings up a video mode menu on kernel startup. (T=
ry =81
=81 "man bootparam" or see the documentation of your boot loader about =
=81
=81 how to pass options to the kernel.) =
=81
=81 =
=81
=81 Read the file Documentation/svga.txt for more information =
=81
=81 about the Video mode selection support. If unsure, say N. =
=81
=20
Now to find the loadlin file on the CD where I add "VGA=3D" ...
- BS
|
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 20:46:32
|
T24gMDkvMDMvMjAwMyAwNDozOTozNyBQTSBCcnVjZSBTbWl0aCB3cm90ZToNCj5PbiBXZWQsIDIw MDMtMDktMDMgYXQgMTY6MjcsIEhlaWtvIFp1ZXJrZXIgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBPbiAwOS8wMy8yMDAz IDA0OjA3OjIwIFBNIEJydWNlIFNtaXRoIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gPj4gZm9yIGEgbG9uZyB0aW1lIEkg d2FudGVkIHRvIGFkZCB2ZXNhIHN1cHBvcnQgYW5kIHJ1biBteSB0ZXh0bW9kZQ0KPmluIGENCj4+ ID4+IGhpZ2hlciByZXNvbHV0aW9uLg0KPj4gPj4gSSBkaWRuJ3QgZG8gaXQgYmVjYXVzZSBJIGhh ZCBzb21lIGlzc3VlcyBvbiBzb21lIGNvbXB1dGVycy4NCj4+ID4+DQo+PiA+PiBCdXQgc2luY2Ug QnJ1Y2Ugd3JvdGUgdGhhdCBuaWNlIHNjcmlwdCB0byBtb2RpZnkgZmlsZXMgb24gdGhlIENELA0K PndlDQo+PiA+Y291bGQNCj4+ID4+IG9mZmVyIGEgd2F5IHRvIGNoYW5nZSB0aGUgIlZHQT0iIGJv b3QgcGFyYW1ldGVyLg0KPj4gPg0KPj4gPkknbGwgdHJ5IGl0IQ0KPj4gPg0KPj4gPldoYXQgZmls ZSBkbyB3ZSBjaGFuZ2U/ICBEbyB5b3UgaGF2ZSBhIGxpc3Qgb2YgdGhlIFZHQT0gdmFsdWVzIGhh bmR5Pw0KPj4NCj4+IERvIHRoZSBmb2xsb3dpbmcgdG8gcXVpY2tseSB0cnkgaXQ6DQo+PiBHbyBp bnRvICB0aGUgS2VybmVsIGRpcmVjdG9yeSBhbmQgbW9kaWZ5IGl0IHZpYSAibWFrZSBtZW51Y29u ZmlnIi4NCj4+IFRoZW4gZG8gYSAiYnVpbGQvYnVpbGQuc2ggYnVpbGQgb3B0PWxpbnV4IiBhbmQg YSAibWFrZSBjbGVhbiBpbnN0YWxsDQo+aXNvIi4NCj4NCj5BcyBmYXIgYXMgSSBjYW4gdGVsbCwg aXQncyBhbHJlYWR5IHR1cm5lZCBvbi4gIFRoaXMgb3B0aW9uIGlzIHNlbGVjdGVkOg0KPg0KPoEN Cj5DT05GSUdfVklERU9fU0VMRUNUOg0KPoENCg0KVGhpcyBpcyBub3QgdGhlIG9uZSwgeW91IG5l ZWQgdG8gdHVybiBvbiBWRVNBIEZyYW1lYnVmZmVyIHN1cHBvcnQuDQqBDQo+ICCBDQo+gSBSZWFk IHRoZSBmaWxlIERvY3VtZW50YXRpb24vc3ZnYS50eHQgZm9yIG1vcmUNCj5pbmZvcm1hdGlvbiAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgIIENCj6BIGFib3V0IHRoZSBWaWRlbyBtb2RlIHNlbGVjdGlvbiBzdXBwb3J0 LiBJZiB1bnN1cmUsIHNheQ0KPk4uICAgICAgICAgICAgICAggQ0KPg0KPg0KPk5vdyB0byBmaW5k IHRoZSBsb2FkbGluIGZpbGUgb24gdGhlIENEIHdoZXJlIEkgYWRkICJWR0E9IiAuLi4NCg0KWW91 IG5lZWQgdG8gbW9kaWZ5IHRoZSBpc29saW51eC5jZmcgZmlsZSBhbmQgYWRkIHRoZSBWR0E9IHRv IHRoZSBBUFBFTkQNCmxpbmUuDQoNCkhlaWtvDQo= |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-03 21:05:30
|
> >> >> offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter. > >> > > >> >I'll try it! > >> > > >> >What file do we change? Do you have a list of the VGA=3D values ha= ndy? > >> > >> Do the following to quickly try it: > >> Go into the Kernel directory and modify it via "make menuconfig". > >> Then do a "build/build.sh build opt=3Dlinux" and a "make clean insta= ll > >iso". > > > >As far as I can tell, it's already turned on. This option is selected= : > > > >=81 > >CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT: > >=81 >=20 > This is not the one, you need to turn on VESA Framebuffer support. Are you sure? I added "vga=3Dask" to the APPEND line. =20 In VMware, I get a menu of: =20 Mode: COLSXROWS: 0 0f00 80x25 1 0f01 80x50 2 0f02 80x43 3 0f03 80x28 4 0f05 80x30 5 0f06 80x34 6 0f07 80x60 When I input a number like 1, 2, 3, ... I get really small type. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-03 21:19:57
|
> > >> >> offer a way to change the "VGA=3D" boot parameter.
> > >> >
> > >> >I'll try it!
> > >> >
> > >> >What file do we change? Do you have a list of the VGA=3D values =
handy?
> > >>
> > >> Do the following to quickly try it:
> > >> Go into the Kernel directory and modify it via "make menuconfig".
> > >> Then do a "build/build.sh build opt=3Dlinux" and a "make clean ins=
tall
> > >iso".
> > >
> > >As far as I can tell, it's already turned on. This option is select=
ed:
> > >
> > >=81
> > >CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT:
> > >=81
> >=20
> > This is not the one, you need to turn on VESA Framebuffer support.
Assuming your correct (I'm still skeptical :) When I select frame
buffer support, I get this submenu. What other options do I need here?=20
Just "VESA VGA graphics console"? Fonts? Anything else?
[*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL) =
=81 =81
< > nVidia Riva support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Cirrus Logic support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Permedia2 support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Permedia3 support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Cyber2000 support (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] VESA VGA graphics console (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > VGA 16-color graphics console (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Hercules mono graphics console (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Matrox acceleration (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > ATI Mach64 display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > ATI Radeon display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > ATI Rage128 display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Intel 830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NE=
W) =81 =81
< > SIS acceleration (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > NeoMagic display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3 display support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Trident support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!) (EXPERIMENTAL) (NE=
W) =81 =81
[ ] Advanced low level driver options (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Support only 8 pixels wide fonts (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Select compiled-in fonts (NEW) =20
Plus these submenus:
"Select compiled-in fonts" opens up:
=20
[*] VGA 8x8 font =
=81 =81
[*] VGA 8x16 font =
=81 =81
[ ] Sparc console 8x16 font (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Sparc console 12x22 font (not supported by all drivers) (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Mac console 6x11 font (not supported by all drivers) (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Pearl (old m68k) console 8x8 font (NEW) =
=81 =81
[ ] Acorn console 8x8 font (NEW) =
=81 =81
=20
"Advanced low level driver options" opens up:
< > Monochrome support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > 2 bpp packed pixels support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > 4 bpp packed pixels support (NEW) =
=81 =81
<*> 8 bpp packed pixels support =
=81 =81
<*> 16 bpp packed pixels support =
=81 =81
<*> 24 bpp packed pixels support =
=81 =81
<*> 32 bpp packed pixels support =
=81 =81
< > Amiga bitplanes support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Amiga interleaved bitplanes support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Atari interleaved bitplanes (2 planes) support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Atari interleaved bitplanes (4 planes) support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Atari interleaved bitplanes (8 planes) support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > Mac variable bpp packed pixels support (NEW) =
=81 =81
<*> VGA 16-color planar support =
=81 =81
< > VGA characters/attributes support (NEW) =
=81 =81
< > HGA monochrome support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW) =
=81 =81
=20
- BS
|
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 21:25:00
|
T24gMDkvMDMvMjAwMyAwNTowNToyOSBQTSBCcnVjZSBTbWl0aCB3cm90ZToNCj4+ID4+ID4+IG9m ZmVyIGEgd2F5IHRvIGNoYW5nZSB0aGUgIlZHQT0iIGJvb3QgcGFyYW1ldGVyLg0KPj4gPj4gPg0K Pj4gPj4gPkknbGwgdHJ5IGl0IQ0KPj4gPj4gPg0KPj4gPj4gPldoYXQgZmlsZSBkbyB3ZSBjaGFu Z2U/ICBEbyB5b3UgaGF2ZSBhIGxpc3Qgb2YgdGhlIFZHQT0gdmFsdWVzDQo+aGFuZHk/DQo+PiA+ Pg0KPj4gPj4gRG8gdGhlIGZvbGxvd2luZyB0byBxdWlja2x5IHRyeSBpdDoNCj4+ID4+IEdvIGlu dG8gIHRoZSBLZXJuZWwgZGlyZWN0b3J5IGFuZCBtb2RpZnkgaXQgdmlhICJtYWtlIG1lbnVjb25m aWciLg0KPj4gPj4gVGhlbiBkbyBhICJidWlsZC9idWlsZC5zaCBidWlsZCBvcHQ9bGludXgiIGFu ZCBhICJtYWtlIGNsZWFuDQo+aW5zdGFsbA0KPj4gPmlzbyIuDQo+PiA+DQo+PiA+QXMgZmFyIGFz IEkgY2FuIHRlbGwsIGl0J3MgYWxyZWFkeSB0dXJuZWQgb24uICBUaGlzIG9wdGlvbiBpcw0KPnNl bGVjdGVkOg0KPj4gPg0KPj4gPoENCj4+ID5DT05GSUdfVklERU9fU0VMRUNUOg0KPj4gPoENCj4+ DQo+PiBUaGlzIGlzIG5vdCB0aGUgb25lLCB5b3UgbmVlZCB0byB0dXJuIG9uIFZFU0EgRnJhbWVi dWZmZXIgc3VwcG9ydC4NCj4NCj5BcmUgeW91IHN1cmU/ICBJIGFkZGVkICJ2Z2E9YXNrIiB0byB0 aGUgQVBQRU5EIGxpbmUuDQoNClllcyBJIGFtLg0KDQo+SW4gVk13YXJlLCBJIGdldCBhIG1lbnUg b2Y6DQo+DQo+TW9kZTogIENPTFNYUk9XUzoNCj4wIDBmMDAgODB4MjUNCj4xIDBmMDEgODB4NTAN Cj4yIDBmMDIgODB4NDMNCj4zIDBmMDMgODB4MjgNCj40IDBmMDUgODB4MzANCj41IDBmMDYgODB4 MzQNCj42IDBmMDcgODB4NjANCj4NCj5XaGVuIEkgaW5wdXQgYSBudW1iZXIgbGlrZSAxLCAyLCAz LCAuLi4gIEkgZ2V0IHJlYWxseSBzbWFsbCB0eXBlLg0KDQpUaGUgVkVTQSBtb2RlcyBwcm92aWRl IGhpZ2hlciByZXNvbHV0aW9ucywgaS5lLiAxNjB4NjANCg0KSGVpa28NCg== |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-03 21:27:34
|
T24gMDkvMDMvMjAwMyAwNToxOTo1NSBQTSBCcnVjZSBTbWl0aCB3cm90ZToNCj4+ID4gPj4gPj4g b2ZmZXIgYSB3YXkgdG8gY2hhbmdlIHRoZSAiVkdBPSIgYm9vdCBwYXJhbWV0ZXIuDQo+PiA+ID4+ ID4NCj4+ID4gPj4gPkknbGwgdHJ5IGl0IQ0KPj4gPiA+PiA+DQo+PiA+ID4+ID5XaGF0IGZpbGUg ZG8gd2UgY2hhbmdlPyAgRG8geW91IGhhdmUgYSBsaXN0IG9mIHRoZSBWR0E9IHZhbHVlcw0KPmhh bmR5Pw0KPj4gPiA+Pg0KPj4gPiA+PiBEbyB0aGUgZm9sbG93aW5nIHRvIHF1aWNrbHkgdHJ5IGl0 Og0KPj4gPiA+PiBHbyBpbnRvICB0aGUgS2VybmVsIGRpcmVjdG9yeSBhbmQgbW9kaWZ5IGl0IHZp YSAibWFrZQ0KPm1lbnVjb25maWciLg0KPj4gPiA+PiBUaGVuIGRvIGEgImJ1aWxkL2J1aWxkLnNo IGJ1aWxkIG9wdD1saW51eCIgYW5kIGEgIm1ha2UgY2xlYW4NCj5pbnN0YWxsDQo+PiA+ID5pc28i Lg0KPj4gPiA+DQo+PiA+ID5BcyBmYXIgYXMgSSBjYW4gdGVsbCwgaXQncyBhbHJlYWR5IHR1cm5l ZCBvbi4gIFRoaXMgb3B0aW9uIGlzDQo+c2VsZWN0ZWQ6DQo+PiA+ID4NCj4+ID4gPoENCj4+ID4g PkNPTkZJR19WSURFT19TRUxFQ1Q6DQo+PiA+ID6BDQo+PiA+DQo+PiA+IFRoaXMgaXMgbm90IHRo ZSBvbmUsIHlvdSBuZWVkIHRvIHR1cm4gb24gVkVTQSBGcmFtZWJ1ZmZlciBzdXBwb3J0Lg0KPg0K PkFzc3VtaW5nIHlvdXIgY29ycmVjdCAoSSdtIHN0aWxsIHNrZXB0aWNhbCA6KSAgV2hlbiBJIHNl bGVjdCBmcmFtZQ0KPmJ1ZmZlciBzdXBwb3J0LCBJIGdldCB0aGlzIHN1Ym1lbnUuICBXaGF0IG90 aGVyIG9wdGlvbnMgZG8gSSBuZWVkIGhlcmU/DQo+SnVzdCAiVkVTQSBWR0EgZ3JhcGhpY3MgY29u c29sZSI/ICBGb250cz8gIEFueXRoaW5nIGVsc2U/DQo+DQo+DQo+WypdIFN1cHBvcnQgZm9yIGZy YW1lIGJ1ZmZlciBkZXZpY2VzDQoNCj5bIF0gICBWRVNBIFZHQSBncmFwaGljcyBjb25zb2xlDQo+ ICAgVkdBIDE2LWNvbG9yIGdyYXBoaWNzIGNvbnNvbGUNCg0KVGhlIHJlc3QgbG9va2VkIGdvb2Qg dG8gbWUuDQoNCmVpa28NCg0K |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-04 15:25:10
|
> >[*] Support for frame buffer devices > > >[ ] VESA VGA graphics console > > VGA 16-color graphics console > > The rest looked good to me. OK, I set those three options, recompiled the kernel, and ... pcmcia-cs aborts on the make clean install iso. :-( So, I turned off pcmcia in the .config, and tried again. Then I make a new ISO with vga=773, and it works great in VMware4! However, Tux (the standard logo, not the DL penguin with horns) stays at the top of the screen and doesn't go away, wasting viewable space. How can I get rid of that? Also, vga=773 is 256 colors. Is there ANY reason to go higher? Is there any software on DL that would use more colors? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-04 22:15:34
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>[*] Support for frame buffer devices >> >>>[ ] VESA VGA graphics console >>> VGA 16-color graphics console >> >>The rest looked good to me. > > > OK, I set those three options, recompiled the kernel, and ... > > pcmcia-cs aborts on the make clean install iso. :-( That's normal > So, I turned off pcmcia in the .config, and tried again. > > Then I make a new ISO with vga=773, and it works great in VMware4! Cool ! > However, Tux (the standard logo, not the DL penguin with horns) stays at > the top of the screen and doesn't go away, wasting viewable space. How > can I get rid of that? I don't know, I know it only this way. But only the first console should be affected, correct. > Also, vga=773 is 256 colors. Is there ANY reason to go higher? Is > there any software on DL that would use more colors? Should not. Are you going to check in those changes? At some point we should then also replace Tux with our Logo. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-04 23:56:26
|
> > OK, I set those three options, recompiled the kernel, and ... > > > > pcmcia-cs aborts on the make clean install iso. :-( > That's normal Is there something I can manually run in that directory to fix it? > > Then I make a new ISO with vga=773, and it works great in VMware4! > > Cool ! > > > However, Tux (the standard logo, not the DL penguin with horns) stays at > > the top of the screen and doesn't go away, wasting viewable space. How > > can I get rid of that? > > I don't know, I know it only this way. > But only the first console should be affected, correct. I don't know about the first console, but when I started scrolling in the console (SHIFT + PGUP/PGDN) it went away. > Are you going to check in those changes? Sure, I can do that. > At some point we should then also replace Tux with our Logo. Point me in the right direction and I'll give it a try. (I have no idea where to start looking for that). - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-05 00:10:33
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>OK, I set those three options, recompiled the kernel, and ... >>> >>>pcmcia-cs aborts on the make clean install iso. :-( >> >>That's normal > > > Is there something I can manually run in that directory to fix it? > > >>>Then I make a new ISO with vga=773, and it works great in VMware4! >> >>Cool ! >> >> >>>However, Tux (the standard logo, not the DL penguin with horns) stays at >>>the top of the screen and doesn't go away, wasting viewable space. How >>>can I get rid of that? >> >>I don't know, I know it only this way. >>But only the first console should be affected, correct. > > > I don't know about the first console, but when I started scrolling in > the console (SHIFT + PGUP/PGDN) it went away. Even better ! >>Are you going to check in those changes? > > > Sure, I can do that. cool >>At some point we should then also replace Tux with our Logo. > > > Point me in the right direction and I'll give it a try. > (I have no idea where to start looking for that). www.google.com linux boot logo vesa tux replace Where should we set the default resolution ? I would suggest 1024x768x256 . cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 00:40:44
|
> Where should we set the default resolution ? I would suggest 1024x768x256 . Is it safe to set a resolution that high? Or are some PC's with cheap video cards going to have problems? Would 800x600x256 be safer? (standard vga) Also, is it possible to change it on boot prompt by typing in another value? I tried "vga=ask", and it wouldn't take any of the 7xx values. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-05 01:00:30
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>Where should we set the default resolution ? I would suggest 1024x768x256 . > > > Is it safe to set a resolution that high? Or are some PC's with cheap > video cards going to have problems? Could be, I remember one PC heaving "lines". But I think that's quite a few Kernel releases ago. > Would 800x600x256 be safer? (standard vga) I don't know, we could start with this or just see if people run into problems with 1024x768x256. > Also, is it possible to change it on boot prompt by typing in another > value? I tried "vga=ask", and it wouldn't take any of the 7xx values. Hmmm, but specifying vga=7xx works ? cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 01:12:06
|
> >>Where should we set the default resolution ? I would suggest 1024x768x256 . > > > > Is it safe to set a resolution that high? Or are some PC's with cheap > > video cards going to have problems? > > Could be, I remember one PC heaving "lines". But I think that's quite a > few Kernel releases ago. > > > Would 800x600x256 be safer? (standard vga) > > I don't know, we could start with this or just see if people run into > problems with 1024x768x256. Sure, we can try it on a beta release and see what happens. > > Also, is it possible to change it on boot prompt by typing in another > > value? I tried "vga=ask", and it wouldn't take any of the 7xx values. > > Hmmm, but specifying vga=7xx works ? I only tried one, vga=773, and it worked fine for me. I was thinking of the "prompt" parameter in the isolinux.cfg. Would turning on prompt let us change the vga value? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-05 01:30:27
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>Also, is it possible to change it on boot prompt by typing in another >>>value? I tried "vga=ask", and it wouldn't take any of the 7xx values. >> >>Hmmm, but specifying vga=7xx works ? > > > I only tried one, vga=773, and it worked fine for me. > > I was thinking of the "prompt" parameter in the isolinux.cfg. > Would turning on prompt let us change the vga value? It would help only to play around. I don't see a reason to enable it per default, since you would have to enter this every time you boot. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 01:37:45
|
> > I was thinking of the "prompt" parameter in the isolinux.cfg. > > Would turning on prompt let us change the vga value? > > It would help only to play around. > I don't see a reason to enable it per default, since you would have to > enter this every time you boot. Unless there is a timeout parameter, or some way to interrupt the boot process by pressing a key to get a prompt. I've never used isolinux before, so I don't how close it is to LILO/GRUB I'll do some reading and play around with it when I get a chance. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 17:20:35
|
> >>Are you going to check in those changes? > > > > Sure, I can do that. > > cool I committed the new kernel config with Frame Buffer support. I haven't changed isolinux.cfg yet. I want to research the prompt parameter first. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 18:04:23
|
> I haven't changed isolinux.cfg yet. I want to research the prompt > parameter first. OK, as I suspected, the isolinux.cfg file is very similar to lilo.cfg. We can have multiple sections (labels) in the cfg file. I recommend we put one in for standard text mode (no vga= on the append line), one for 640x480, one for 800x600 and one for 1024x768. (all 256 color) Then we can turn on the prompt parameter, with a timeout value, and the user can select any mode they like. For unattended mode, the timeout will continue with the default label after a specified amount of time. Question #1. Do we turn "prompt" on, or leave it off and make the user press SHIFT or ALT to get a prompt to change resolution? Question #2. How long do we make the timeout? (before it continues with the default label) Question #3. Which resolution should be the default? Standard 80x24 (no vga= parameter specified) is the safest. My recommendation would be to turn prompt on, with a message displayed about they options they can type in, timeout of 5 seconds, default to no vga= parameter specified. Of course any of these value things can be changed by using my script to rewrite isolinux.cfg in a new ISO image. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-05 12:15:43
|
On 09/05/2003 05:39:53 AM Diego Torres wrote: >On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:25:00PM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> But it needs to be compiled into the Kernel first. > >is there a fallback in case there is no vesa board? will dl still be >bootable if there is no vga card on the motherboard? With no VESA available, it falls back to standard VGA (80x25) as far as= I know. You will also have the option to change the VGA=3D parameter in the ISO= Image. Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-05 18:16:39
|
On 09/05/2003 02:04:14 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> I haven't changed isolinux.cfg yet. I want to research the prompt >> parameter first. > >OK, as I suspected, the isolinux.cfg file is very similar to lilo.cfg.= > >We can have multiple sections (labels) in the cfg file. I recommend w= e >put one in for standard text mode (no vga=3D on the append line), one = for >640x480, one for 800x600 and one for 1024x768. (all 256 color) > >Then we can turn on the prompt parameter, with a timeout value, and th= e >user can select any mode they like. For unattended mode, the timeout >will continue with the default label after a specified amount of time.= > >Question #1. Do we turn "prompt" on, or leave it off and make the use= r >press SHIFT or ALT to get a prompt to change resolution? > >Question #2. How long do we make the timeout? (before it continues >with the default label) > >Question #3. Which resolution should be the default? Standard 80x24 >(no vga=3D parameter specified) is the safest. Hmmm, should we give it a try with 1024x768 and see if users complain? We can then always switch back for Beta 2 >My recommendation would be to turn prompt on, with a message displayed= >about they options they can type in, timeout of 5 seconds, default to = no >vga=3D parameter specified. Do 10 seconds, I always miss those prompts. >Of course any of these value things can be changed by using my script = to >rewrite isolinux.cfg in a new ISO image. I love it! cya Heiko = |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-09-05 18:39:41
|
>> >>Question #1. Do we turn "prompt" on, or leave it off and make the user >>press SHIFT or ALT to get a prompt to change resolution? >> >>Question #2. How long do we make the timeout? (before it continues >>with the default label) >> >>Question #3. Which resolution should be the default? Standard 80x24 >>(no vga= parameter specified) is the safest. > >Hmmm, should we give it a try with 1024x768 and see if users complain? >We can then always switch back for Beta 2 Hmm, I would certainly disagree with 1024x768. I don't know about most users, but I run my Devil-Linux box with a little old 15" monitor. I would expect most users to be using the same. >>My recommendation would be to turn prompt on, with a message displayed >>about they options they can type in, timeout of 5 seconds, default to no >>vga= parameter specified. > >Do 10 seconds, I always miss those prompts. We are already taking a -significant- amount of time to boot. (Of course, if we could get rid of ldconfig/module update we could reduce the boot time by what - 60%?). Most people are expecting to miss the prompts - just hit the power switch and go. So a long delay would add to the annoyance factor. Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting. |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-05 19:04:14
|
> >Hmmm, should we give it a try with 1024x768 and see if users complain? > >We can then always switch back for Beta 2 > > Hmm, I would certainly disagree with 1024x768. I don't know about most > users, but I run my Devil-Linux box with a little old 15" monitor. I would > expect most users to be using the same. Well, we have one complaint already, and I haven't made any changes! :-) Most of my DL boxes don't even have a monitor. I use SSH, and can make the window size & font anything I like. :-) > >>My recommendation would be to turn prompt on, with a message displayed > >>about they options they can type in, timeout of 5 seconds, default to no > >>vga= parameter specified. > > > >Do 10 seconds, I always miss those prompts. > > We are already taking a -significant- amount of time to boot. Right, that's why I suggested 5 seconds. I set my GRUB/LILO prompt timeout at THREE seconds on my Redhat boxes for that reason. > (Of course, > if we could get rid of ldconfig/module update we could reduce the boot time > by what - 60%?). That would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure it's possible. The results for ldconfig & modconfig are both stored in /etc (I think the modules are in /etc/modules, right?). That means if someone updated their CD without creating a new /etc from the fresh tar file, they would have a ton of problems. > Most people are expecting to miss the prompts - just hit the power switch > and go. So a long delay would add to the annoyance factor. I agree. I'm still in favor of 5 seconds and no "vga=" by default. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-05 19:34:18
|
On 09/05/2003 03:04:07 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >Hmmm, should we give it a try with 1024x768 and see if users >complain? >> >We can then always switch back for Beta 2 >> >> Hmm, I would certainly disagree with 1024x768. I don't know about >most >> users, but I run my Devil-Linux box with a little old 15" monitor. = I >would >> expect most users to be using the same. > >Well, we have one complaint already, and I haven't made any changes! := -) > >Most of my DL boxes don't even have a monitor. I use SSH, and can mak= e >the window size & font anything I like. :-) And I have a DL (test) box hooked up to my Bigscreen TV. :-)) >> >>My recommendation would be to turn prompt on, with a message >displayed >> >>about they options they can type in, timeout of 5 seconds, default= >to no >> >>vga=3D parameter specified. >> > >> >Do 10 seconds, I always miss those prompts. >> >> We are already taking a -significant- amount of time to boot. > >Right, that's why I suggested 5 seconds. I set my GRUB/LILO prompt >timeout at THREE seconds on my Redhat boxes for that reason. That's to short for me: eye -> brain -> *warm up* - > *anaylize* -> *decide* -> brain -> hand *lol* >> (Of course, >> if we could get rid of ldconfig/module update we could reduce the >boot time >> by what - 60%?). > >That would be REALLY nice, but I'm not sure it's possible. The result= s >for ldconfig & modconfig are both stored in /etc (I think the modules >are in /etc/modules, right?). That means if someone updated their CD= >without creating a new /etc from the fresh tar file, they would have a= >ton of problems. That's the main reason why I didn't remove it yet. >> Most people are expecting to miss the prompts - just hit the power >switch >> and go. So a long delay would add to the annoyance factor. > >I agree. I'm still in favor of 5 seconds and no "vga=3D" by default. Just do it, I can change it later. ;-) Heiko = |