|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-08-20 06:58:53
|
[... I am still using the 08-08-i686-SMP version...] I [finally] noticed that I was not receiving any messages from IPTables about dropped packets (my firewall.rules file is setup to log most packets that are dropped). So, I started looking around... I noticed that reloading (/etc/init.d/syslog reload) would "cure" the problem, so I determine that everything is probably properly configured. So, I kept digging... I then noticed that the syslog daemon was logging the fact that is was restarting as part of the load. I was able to determine that this happened when Postfix was started. After the syslog daemon was restarted, I no longer received IPTables messages. Looking over /etc/init.d/jail, I found out that it does a /etc/init.d/syslog reload! So, I figured this was the "source" of my problem! Looking over /etc/init.d/syslog, I reviewed the reload code. I became suspicious of the hack that was in there to handle the killing of the klogd daemon. To very that this was indeed the problem, I made two changes: o I removed the entire logic used to kill the klogd daemon and instead inserted a "killproc klogd" command. o For the restart of klogd, I changed it to read "loadproc klogd -c $KERNEL_LOGLEVEL". Now, everything works! [The first bug report.] I presume that some of the problem is related to the fact that the previous method of killing the daemon did not properly cleanup the file /var/run/klogd.pid - but I could be wrong. And, while I was reviewing /etc/init.d/syslog, I noticed that it was still using the "old" 0.5 reference for the jail area (checking for /jail/$A/... so as to remove them from syslog-ng.conf). These statements are probably harmless (as the current system has /etc/init.d/jail ADDING entries to the syslog-ng.conf file - thus the reload). [The 1/2 of a bug report] Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Shing-Gene Y. <sh...@cz...> - 2003-08-20 10:58:58
|
I'm just getting started in building 0.6beta from cvs (using
lfssystem-3.1). I encountered a few problems:
1. the new docs don't mention whether the build dir should be copied to
the data subdir or otherwise? anyway putting it under the data subdir
works.
2. make menuconfig. lxdialog fails to start due to glibc version errors. I
removed the lxdialog binary and make menuconfig built it again, which
works.
3. make build. it complains that /usr/include/asm exists and quits.
removing that dir makes it work. is the asm dir needed?
4. during make build. bash complains of missing version.h file. putting a
"make version.h" before the main make command in the bash build script
fixes this.
5. make install. scripts/copy_base complains /bin/grep and
/bin/egrep are not found. fixed by changing to /usr/bin/{grep,egrep} in
scripts/config/copy_base.lst . What should be the proper locations?
6. running system. using jail to run named fails as it can't find the
package? I thought everything is running off the CD now, so why is it
looking for the package?
that's it so far :)
--shing
|
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-20 14:50:14
|
Thanks for your bug report (as usual). It's all fixed in CVS. cya Heiko Dean Nedelman wrote: > [... I am still using the 08-08-i686-SMP version...] > > I [finally] noticed that I was not receiving any messages from IPTables > about dropped packets (my firewall.rules file is setup to log most packets > that are dropped). So, I started looking around... > > I noticed that reloading (/etc/init.d/syslog reload) would "cure" the > problem, so I determine that everything is probably properly configured. > So, I kept digging... > > I then noticed that the syslog daemon was logging the fact that is was > restarting as part of the load. I was able to determine that this happened > when Postfix was started. After the syslog daemon was restarted, I no > longer received IPTables messages. > > Looking over /etc/init.d/jail, I found out that it does a /etc/init.d/syslog > reload! So, I figured this was the "source" of my problem! > > Looking over /etc/init.d/syslog, I reviewed the reload code. I became > suspicious of the hack that was in there to handle the killing of the klogd > daemon. To very that this was indeed the problem, I made two changes: > o I removed the entire logic used to kill the klogd daemon and instead > inserted a "killproc klogd" command. > o For the restart of klogd, I changed it to read "loadproc klogd -c > $KERNEL_LOGLEVEL". > > Now, everything works! [The first bug report.] > > I presume that some of the problem is related to the fact that the previous > method of killing the daemon did not properly cleanup the file > /var/run/klogd.pid - but I could be wrong. > > And, while I was reviewing /etc/init.d/syslog, I noticed that it was still > using the "old" 0.5 reference for the jail area (checking for /jail/$A/... > so as to remove them from syslog-ng.conf). These statements are probably > harmless (as the current system has /etc/init.d/jail ADDING entries to the > syslog-ng.conf file - thus the reload). [The 1/2 of a bug report] > > Dean Nedelman > TimeLord Consulting > > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.net email is sponsored by Dice.com. > Did you know that Dice has over 25,000 tech jobs available today? From > careers in IT to Engineering to Tech Sales, Dice has tech jobs from the > best hiring companies. http://www.dice.com/index.epl?rel_code=104 > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > > |