|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-22 15:44:46
|
On 07/22/2003 11:26:20 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >I made a ISO with almost all binaries on CD, including all the binarie= s >listed in copy_base.lst. > >It boots in VMware with 44MB of memory, 40MB fails. > >After booting with 44MB, I can use "dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/tmp/file .= .." >to create about 15 MB worth of files in memory before it dies. > >"free" seems to be fairly worthless in determining memory usage. > >If I have 15MB free after booting with 44MB, why won't it boot in 40MB= ? > >The biggest files still left in ram disk on my ISO are now the >libraries. It'd be interesting to move them to CD also and see what >happens then. > >Weird stuff ... :-) Not really. This behaviour will change once my boot process changes wor= k. Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-28 17:48:59
|
On 07/28/2003 01:40:47 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>I just did a few more changes (already in CVS) and checked the >memory usage. >> >>You can boot now with only 22 MB of RAM. >> > >> > Wow!!! >> >> Just saw that I lied, I used 24 MB. >> VMWare doesn't let you select 22MB. > >Still, that's very good. > >Most old PC's I've seen (that are still usable as a firewall) >have either 32MB or 16MB, so 16MB would be a good goal. >If we don't get there, 32MB is still great! > >> > What's the pro's & con's of using uclibc in initrd? >> It is much smaller then glibc but doesn't have all functionality. >> It should certainly be enough to get through the initrd. >> >> > Is anything stuck using it after boot? >> >> Should not. > >Sounds like it'd be worth a try. I think so, too. >Doesn't initrd use all the utilities from busybox now? >If so, does busybox support uclibc? Oh yes it does. I'll give it shot. We currently use ext2 for our shmfs, if we switch to minix we save at l= east another 1 MB. Any complains? I actually never used minix before, but I expect that it supports the "normal" file ownerships and permissions. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-28 17:55:25
|
On 07/28/2003 01:47:53 PM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >On 07/28/2003 01:40:47 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >>Doesn't initrd use all the utilities from busybox now? >>If so, does busybox support uclibc? > >Oh yes it does. I'll give it shot. > >We currently use ext2 for our shmfs, if we switch to minix we save at >least >another 1 MB. Any complains? >I actually never used minix before, but I expect that it supports the >"normal" file ownerships and permissions. Shit! I forgott that our shmfs can get quite big, i.e. when you use chr= oot jails. Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-28 18:15:06
|
> >>Doesn't initrd use all the utilities from busybox now? > >>If so, does busybox support uclibc? > > > >Oh yes it does. I'll give it shot. > > > >We currently use ext2 for our shmfs, if we switch to minix we save at > >least another 1 MB. Any complains? Yes, minix has a filename size limit of 14 or 30 characters (depending on format options). This will break applications that use longer filenames. > >I actually never used minix before, but I expect that it supports the > >"normal" file ownerships and permissions. > > Shit! I forgot that our shmfs can get quite big, i.e. when you use chroot > jails. Yes, Minux has a 64MB partition size limitation. That could be a problem. :-) Would using ReiserFS save any memory over ext2? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-28 18:46:50
|
On 07/28/2003 02:14:52 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>Doesn't initrd use all the utilities from busybox now? >> >>If so, does busybox support uclibc? >> > >> >Oh yes it does. I'll give it shot. >> > >> >We currently use ext2 for our shmfs, if we switch to minix we save = at >> >least another 1 MB. Any complains? > >Yes, minix has a filename size limit of 14 or 30 characters >(depending on format options). > >This will break applications that use longer filenames. OK, bye bye minix idea. ;-) >> >I actually never used minix before, but I expect that it supports t= he >> >"normal" file ownerships and permissions. >> >> Shit! I forgot that our shmfs can get quite big, i.e. when you use >chroot >> jails. > >Yes, Minux has a 64MB partition size limitation. >That could be a problem. :-) > >Would using ReiserFS save any memory over ext2? I doubt it. The problem is that we need to have the correct mkfs.xxxx tool in our initrd. I'll check tonight how big the static binary is. Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-29 19:35:14
|
On 07/28/2003 01:47:53 PM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >On 07/28/2003 01:40:47 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >>> >>I just did a few more changes (already in CVS) and checked the >>memory usage. >>> >>You can boot now with only 22 MB of RAM. >>> > >>> > Wow!!! >>> >>> Just saw that I lied, I used 24 MB. >>> VMWare doesn't let you select 22MB. I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. I'll keep you posted. Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-01 17:53:57
|
On 07/29/2003 03:31:24 PM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >On 07/28/2003 01:47:53 PM "Heiko Zuerker" wrote: >>On 07/28/2003 01:40:47 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >>>> >>I just did a few more changes (already in CVS) and checked the >>>memory usage. >>>> >>You can boot now with only 22 MB of RAM. >>>> > >>>> > Wow!!! >>>> >>>> Just saw that I lied, I used 24 MB. >>>> VMWare doesn't let you select 22MB. > >I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. >I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. >I'll keep you posted. OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. Now it's time to fixed all this new problems.... cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-08-01 18:10:35
|
> >I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. > >I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. > >I'll keep you posted. > > OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. Cool! With or without uclibc? > Now it's time to fixed all this new problems.... I'll be happy if it's fixed when I get back from vacation! ;-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-01 18:42:16
|
On 08/01/2003 02:10:04 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. >> >I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. >> >I'll keep you posted. >> >> OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. > >Cool! With or without uclibc? Without. uclibc cause some problems, so I pushed it of for later.... now we don'= t need it at all. >> Now it's time to fixed all this new problems.... > >I'll be happy if it's fixed when I get back from vacation! ;-) Bastard ;-) cya Heiko = |
|
From: Manu <ee...@fr...> - 2003-08-01 19:31:02
|
Heiko Zuerker a écrit: >On 08/01/2003 02:10:04 PM Bruce Smith wrote: > > >>>>I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. >>>>I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. >>>>I'll keep you posted. >>>> >>>> >>>OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. >>> >>> >>Cool! With or without uclibc? >> >> > >Without. >uclibc cause some problems, so I pushed it of for later.... now we don't >need it at all. > > now it means that cvs version will compile ... ?? then you can go on vacation ... ;-) > > >>>Now it's time to fixed all this new problems.... >>> >>> >>I'll be happy if it's fixed when I get back from vacation! ;-) >> >> > >Bastard ;-) > >cya > Heiko > > > > >------------------------------------------------------- >This SF.Net email sponsored by: Free pre-built ASP.NET sites including >Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available now. >Download today and enter to win an XBOX or Visual Studio .NET. >http://aspnet.click-url.com/go/psa00100003ave/direct;at.aspnet_072303_01/01 >_______________________________________________ >Devil-linux-develop mailing list >Dev...@li... >https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > > > > |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-01 19:41:50
|
On 08/01/2003 03:30:37 PM Manu wrote: >Heiko Zuerker a =E9crit: > >On 08/01/2003 02:10:04 PM Bruce Smith wrote: > > >I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. >I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. >I'll keep you posted. > > >OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. > > >Cool! With or without uclibc? > > >Without. >uclibc cause some problems, so I pushed it of for later.... now we don= 't >need it at all. > > >=A0now it means that cvs version will compile ... ?? > >then you can go on vacation =A0... ;-) Actually...no. I have to check in the changes, I'll do that right now. Currently you have to disable the start of the grsecurity script, this blocks the whole system. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Manu <ee...@fr...> - 2003-08-01 21:16:41
|
Heiko Zuerker a écrit: >On 08/01/2003 03:30:37 PM Manu wrote: > > >>Heiko Zuerker a écrit: >> >>On 08/01/2003 02:10:04 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >> >>I can boot now with 20 MB RAM. >>I don't use uclibc yet, since I have some problems with it. >>I'll keep you posted. >> >> >>OK I reached 16 MB. After the boot you even have a few MB free. >> >> >>Cool! With or without uclibc? >> >> >>Without. >>uclibc cause some problems, so I pushed it of for later.... now we don't >>need it at all. >> >> >> now it means that cvs version will compile ... ?? >> >>then you can go on vacation ... ;-) >> >> > >Actually...no. >I have to check in the changes, I'll do that right now. >Currently you have to disable the start of the grsecurity script, this >blocks the whole system. > > Thanks, i'll launch a compile this night ... still grsec ... it seems to be very sensitive to setup ! >cya > Heiko > > > Have a nice day Manu > > >------------------------------------------------------- >This SF.Net email sponsored by: Free pre-built ASP.NET sites including >Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available now. >Download today and enter to win an XBOX or Visual Studio .NET. >http://aspnet.click-url.com/go/psa00100003ave/direct;at.aspnet_072303_01/01 >_______________________________________________ >Devil-linux-develop mailing list >Dev...@li... >https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop > > > > |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-08-02 00:30:24
|
Manu wrote: >>Actually...no. >>I have to check in the changes, I'll do that right now. >>Currently you have to disable the start of the grsecurity script, this >>blocks the whole system. >> >> > Thanks, i'll launch a compile this night > > ... still grsec ... it seems to be very sensitive to setup ! The problem are usually the programs we use. When they don't behave like they're officially allowed, grsec will give them a hard time. But it keeps hackers out.... I found the problem and it's corrected in CVS. Randomization of PIDs has to be disabled. Don't ask me why.... Heiko |