|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-05 12:55:17
|
Hey, I took a quick look yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that we = need a help system. Doesn't need to be much and you can "steel" it from "make menuconfig", which is stolen from the Linux kernel config. ;-) I think it would be best to just show this help (only a brief explanati= on) above the parameter before the user enters something. I didn't like that the user has to enter yes or no, I would suggest tha= t you let him switch between those values with i.e. SPACE . OK have to go back to work now.... cya Heiko On 06/04/2003 10:46:51 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >I've uploaded my first copy of a DL setup script for testing. > >ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setupscript-200306= 04 >.tgz > >I'd appreciate it if people would download it, untar it in an _empty_ >directory, run & play with "./setuputil", and comment back. > >Selections "1, 2, and 3" only modify test files in your local director= y, >so you don't have to worry about it screwing up your running system. > >Selections "p" and "s", actually run "passwd", and "save-config", so b= e >careful with those. > >You can test this script on other systems (does not have to be DL), an= d >you don't need to be root to run the script for testing. > >I'm not totally happy with it yet, but I'm kind of stuck in a couple >places, so I'd like to hear improvement ideas from others. > >Thanks in advance, Bruce. = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-10 15:30:29
|
On 06/10/2003 10:07:51 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> > Or, I can add a single line of text on the bottom line of the menu= >that >> > automatically changes as the person arrows to the different items.= >> >> I guess we will see if 80 characters are enough or not. I can't say >> for now. > >What I'm thinking now is we'll need another file for help variables. >i.e. In the scripts/* files, in addition to: > >echo "INSTALL_$MYNAME=3Dno" >> $SOFTWAREFILE >echo "START_$MYNAME=3Dno" >> $CONFIGFILE > >We'll also add in each script: > >echo "HELP_$MYNAME=3D\"one line of help text\"" >> $HELPFILE > >So "setup", and other programs, can source that file too. > >Unless you can think of a better way to handle it? I think this is the simplest way. Why not start going this road and we = can change it later. Just make sure you use functions and make it modular, that safes you a = lot of pain later. Also, make sure the setup script doesn't run into an error when there's= no help available. You could. i.e. use the text "no help available" as standard. Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-10 15:45:00
|
> >What I'm thinking now is we'll need another file for help variables. > >i.e. In the scripts/* files, in addition to: > > > >echo "INSTALL_$MYNAME=no" >> $SOFTWAREFILE > >echo "START_$MYNAME=no" >> $CONFIGFILE > > > >We'll also add in each script: > > > >echo "HELP_$MYNAME=\"one line of help text\"" >> $HELPFILE > > > >So "setup", and other programs, can source that file too. > > > >Unless you can think of a better way to handle it? > > I think this is the simplest way. Why not start going this road and we can > change it later. Good. That's the way I've been going. :-) > Just make sure you use functions and make it modulI'm trying.ar, that safes you a lot > of pain later. Definitely! > Also, make sure the setup script doesn't run into an error when there's no > help available. You could. i.e. use the text "no help available" as > standard. Right now it displays a blank line if there is nothing available (no error). - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-06-13 13:55:00
|
On 06/13/2003 09:40:29 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> > > Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek= ? >> > >> > I would like to. >> >> OK, the first beta is available for public scrutiny now. >> >> ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setup-0.01.tar.b= z2 > >Any comments, bug fixes, or other thoughts before I add it to CVS? > I most likely have no time to test it before next week, so go ahead. You can always modify it. Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-05 15:26:45
|
> I took a quick look yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that we need > a help system. Yes, that very much needed. IMO, we also badly need a way to detect network cards, instead of making the user input or select a module. I'm fairly stuck there. > Doesn't need to be much and you can "steel" it from "make menuconfig", > which is stolen from the Linux kernel config. ;-) I started looking at lxconfig a little. The first problem I noticed is lxconfig doesn't seem to exist on the CD, it appears to be only in the development system. What's the best way to solve that? Make it a package? I'm also having problems finding documentation on lxdialog. Do you know of a good reference somewhere? I see Redhat has a package called "dialog" which lxdialog is based on. The "dialog" package _seems_ to have more options than lxdialog (and some documentation too :) However, I don't see where "dialog" has a help system. Do you know the differences between the two? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-06 15:55:02
|
Note, it may appear that I'm talking to myself here. But, I'm not crazy, really! ;-) > IMO, we also badly need a way to detect network cards, instead of making > the user input or select a module. I'm fairly stuck there. I'll look into how some other distributions do this, later. I want to get a basic menu system built first. > > Doesn't need to be much and you can "steel" it from "make menuconfig", > > which is stolen from the Linux kernel config. ;-) > > The first problem I noticed is lxdialog doesn't seem to exist on the CD I've been looking a lot at "lxdialog" a lot. Due to lack of documentation that I can find, I've been reverse engineering the menuconfig script, and have even looked at the C code. I think I understand how it works now. > I see Redhat has a package called "dialog" which lxdialog is based on. Then I started comparing the functionality of "lxdialog" and "dialog". For my use on a "setup" program, the standard "dialog" program ( http://hightek.org/dialog/ ) would be much nicer. "dialog" is a more powerful program, and would make the shell script a lot easier and smaller. The largest advantage I noticed is "dialog" can do check-lists and radio-lists with one program call. It lets you [un]select items with the space bar all within a single program execution, and returns all the item(s) selected. You don't have to put it in a shell script loop and redraw the screen every time a new item is [de]selected. Since we need to add either "lxdialog" or "dialog" to the distribution so it exists on the CD for my program, I recommend we add "dialog". Thoughts? Comments? Questions? ... Go ahead and add it? :-) - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-06 16:31:38
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Since we need to add either "lxdialog" or "dialog" to the distribution > so it exists on the CD for my program, I recommend we add "dialog". > Thoughts? Comments? Questions? ... Go ahead and add it? :-) I'd follow your opinion. So if you need and want dialog then just add it. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-06 17:15:41
|
> > Since we need to add either "lxdialog" or "dialog" to the distribution > > so it exists on the CD for my program, I recommend we add "dialog". > > Thoughts? Comments? Questions? ... Go ahead and add it? :-) > > I'd follow your opinion. So if you need and want dialog then just add it. OK, before I add it I'm going to do a little more research, and actually get a script started using "dialog", to make sure it'll do the job. When I add it, is it OK to add it as part of the base distro??? (NOT selectable in menuconfig) So the setup script will always run. - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-06 18:18:42
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > OK, before I add it I'm going to do a little more research, and actually > get a script started using "dialog", to make sure it'll do the job. > > When I add it, is it OK to add it as part of the base distro??? > (NOT selectable in menuconfig) So the setup script will always run. If it has to be there because one of our base scripts need it - so be it. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-09 01:10:18
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Note, it may appear that I'm talking to myself here. > But, I'm not crazy, really! ;-) > Sorry, but I'm very busy at the moment and have a hard time responding to emails. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-09 01:33:18
|
> > Note, it may appear that I'm talking to myself here. > > But, I'm not crazy, really! ;-) > > Sorry, but I'm very busy at the moment and have a hard time responding > to emails. No problem. I'm just giving you a hard time. :-) I've been working on rewriting the setup script using "dialog" (the real dialog, not lxdialog). It looks MUCH BETTER (IMO). I may upload a copy on the ftp site for people to look at before I add it to DL. It'll need to be run on a distro other than DL with "dialog" installed. I know Redhat comes with "dialog", and I suspect other distro's do too. Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-10 09:36:54
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? I would like to. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-10 13:47:10
|
> > Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? > > I would like to. OK, soon. First, I want to get a help system started for the INSTALL_* and START_* env. items. I have a question on the best way to do that. With Dialog, I have a couple options. I can add a help button, and have it go to a page full of help info. (like lxconfig/menuconfig does now) Or, I can add a single line of text on the bottom line of the menu that automatically changes as the person arrows to the different items. Or we can do both. Personally I like the single line option because it'll be a LOT easier to program. Do you think one 80 character line is enough info for help? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-11 13:42:40
|
> > Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? > > I would like to. OK, the first beta is available for public scrutiny now. ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org:0/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setup-0.01.tar.bz2 untar it into an empty directory, and run "./setup" on a system with "dialog" installed. There is NO need to run as root, since it only modifies temporary config files in the current directory (included in the tar file). It still may contain bugs, let me know if/when you find them. Still on my todo list: Add a "load module" button on the module selection screen to allow test loading of the network modules. Possibly add a menu selection for "passwd" and "save-config"? Pretty up code and add some comments. Fix all the forth coming bug reports and style change requests. :-) Install "dialog" on DL and see if my script runs there ... (what I'm working on next, while I'm waiting for feedback) Have fun, and let me know what you think! - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2003-06-13 13:40:44
|
> > > Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? > > > > I would like to. > > OK, the first beta is available for public scrutiny now. > > ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setup-0.01.tar.bz2 Any comments, bug fixes, or other thoughts before I add it to CVS? -------------------------------------------- Bruce Smith br...@ar... System Administrator / Network Administrator Armstrong International, Inc. Three Rivers, Michigan 49093 USA http://www.armstrong-intl.com/ -------------------------------------------- |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-10 13:56:34
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > With Dialog, I have a couple options. I can add a help button, and have > it go to a page full of help info. (like lxconfig/menuconfig does now) > > Or, I can add a single line of text on the bottom line of the menu that > automatically changes as the person arrows to the different items. > > Or we can do both. > > Personally I like the single line option because it'll be a LOT easier > to program. Do you think one 80 character line is enough info for help? I guess we will see if 80 characters are enough or not. I can't say for now. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-10 14:08:04
|
> > Or, I can add a single line of text on the bottom line of the menu that > > automatically changes as the person arrows to the different items. > > I guess we will see if 80 characters are enough or not. I can't say > for now. What I'm thinking now is we'll need another file for help variables. i.e. In the scripts/* files, in addition to: echo "INSTALL_$MYNAME=no" >> $SOFTWAREFILE echo "START_$MYNAME=no" >> $CONFIGFILE We'll also add in each script: echo "HELP_$MYNAME=\"one line of help text\"" >> $HELPFILE So "setup", and other programs, can source that file too. Unless you can think of a better way to handle it? - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-06-13 14:01:02
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? >>> >>>I would like to. >> >>OK, the first beta is available for public scrutiny now. >> >>ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setup-0.01.tar.bz2 > > > Any comments, bug fixes, or other thoughts before I add it to CVS? Sorry, but I can check it formost tomorrow. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-13 14:28:55
|
> >>>>Anyone running a distro w/"dialog" installed want to take a peek? > >>> > >>>I would like to. > >> > >>OK, the first beta is available for public scrutiny now. > >> > >>ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/scripts/setup-0.01.tar.bz2 > > > > Any comments, bug fixes, or other thoughts before I add it to CVS? > > Sorry, but I can check it formost tomorrow. I hope to upload a newer version to CVS sometime later today. It's easier to run it from DL (VMware) now that I have "dialog" on DL. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-13 20:03:30
|
> I hope to upload a newer version to CVS sometime later today. It's there ... Let the feedback begin! (yikes! :) - BS |