Hey,
I downloaded the current version and will try it later.
Heiko
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:
> Hi Heiko!
>
> I guess we should be using the latest patch-o-matic from CVS from what I
> read
> here:
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [netfilter-core] iptables/conntrack in enterprise environment.
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:39:53 +0200
> From: Harald Welte <la...@ne...>
> To: "Preston A. Elder" <pr...@sr...>
> CC: net...@li...,
> net...@li..., cor...@ne...
> References: <200...@sr...>
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 01:13:47AM -0400, Preston A. Elder wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am in an enterprise environment and I'm having some problems with
> conntrack
> > specifically.
>
> > They're running 2.4.20 kernels (mostly vanilla) with iptables 1.2.7a.
>
> Do not use 2.4.20 if you want to use connection tracking. 2.4.20
> connection tracking is totally broken due to a change introduced in the
> core kernel.
>
> Please do always use patch-o-matic from CVS. The patch you want to
> apply for fixing this bug is 10_confirm_fix.patch
>
> Also, considering
>
> > echo 524280 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max
>
> without using a larger hash size (modprobe ip_conntrack hashsize=foo,
> wherer foo should be a prime number and in the range of 524280/2)
>
> > to be re-directed to a local port, which is achieved with the command:
> > /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -i eth0 -p tcp -d <ip-range>
> > - --destination-port 1024:65535 --to-destination <local_ip>:<local_port>
> >
> > Every inbound connection incurs an entry in the connection tracking
> > table. It seems, however, that we may be overloading the conntrack
> > system.
>
> I've seen systems with way more conntrack entries and higher bandwith.
> Using NAT however, might have a big performance impact.
>
> > The conntrack table itself very quickly grows - but it does not clean
> itself
> > up when the connection itself dissapears, instead it waits for some
> > pre-determined timeout value,
>
> With a non-broken kernel it is 2 minutes, that is TIME_WAIT of a TCP
> socket.
>
> > PreZ
> > Systems Administrator
> > Shadow Realm
>
|