|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2002-06-07 02:50:22
|
Hey guys, I added submenus to "make menuconfig". At the moment only one submenu-level is allowed. Menuconfig is still far from perfect, but better as before. -- cu Heiko http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-04-21 13:55:41
|
Hey, as you probably recognized, after the latest imrpovements to the build system one new problem came up: "make menuconfig" is really slow now. I was thinking a while and the only solution I found so far is the way it's done in the Linux Kernel: One file, e.g. Configure, which holds all the "menuadd" statements. It would also be time to add a help system ( Configure.help ). This should solve the performance problems and I would also add the profiles function. Any comments? Regards Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-04-21 14:25:43
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > I was thinking a while and the only solution I found so far is the way > it's done in the Linux Kernel: > One file, e.g. Configure, which holds all the "menuadd" statements. It > would also be time to add a help system ( Configure.help ). > This should solve the performance problems and I would also add the > profiles function. > > Any comments? We could also do this version: openssh <- normal build script openssh.config <- stuff for make menuconfig openssh.help <- help text for make menuconfig To get rid of the perfomance issue, I would create out of the file *.config and *.help the 2 big file Configure, Configure.help . This version wouldn't be the same mess as just the 2 big files in general... I think I'll do that version. cya Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-04-21 19:19:42
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > We could also do this version: > openssh <- normal build script > openssh.config <- stuff for make menuconfig > openssh.help <- help text for make menuconfig > > To get rid of the perfomance issue, I would create out of the file > *.config and *.help the 2 big file Configure, Configure.help . > > This version wouldn't be the same mess as just the 2 big files in > general... > > I think I'll do that version. > Maybe we could put the .config and .help files somewhere else and not in the build directory because there are a lot of files already. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-04-21 20:04:51
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> We could also do this version: >> openssh <- normal build script >> openssh.config <- stuff for make menuconfig >> openssh.help <- help text for make menuconfig >> >> To get rid of the perfomance issue, I would create out of the file >> *.config and *.help the 2 big file Configure, Configure.help . >> >> This version wouldn't be the same mess as just the 2 big files in >> general... >> >> I think I'll do that version. >> > > Maybe we could put the .config and .help files somewhere else and not > in the build directory because there are a lot of files already. > You're right and it's only getting more. What's about a the directories: build/scripts/configuration build/scripts/configuration/help Regards Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-04-21 20:19:56
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > You're right and it's only getting more. > > What's about a the directories: > build/scripts/configuration > build/scripts/configuration/help Hmmm...then it might just be easier and out both the .config and the .help file at build/scripts/configuration. What do you think? -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-04-21 20:54:51
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> You're right and it's only getting more. >> >> What's about a the directories: >> build/scripts/configuration >> build/scripts/configuration/help > > > Hmmm...then it might just be easier and out both the .config and > the .help file at build/scripts/configuration. What do you think? Then there's too much stuff in there. I implemented it now following the above suggestion and it looks good so far. I'll check it in now. Heiko |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-04-21 18:36:35
|
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:54:21AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > profiles function. > > Any comments? i always thought that Configure.help an so (kernel style config) was a nightmare to maintain. In the other hand, there are lots of benefits from using the same config files as the kernel (menuconfig/xconfig will work without problems). -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-04-21 20:04:51
|
Diego Torres wrote: > On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:54:21AM -0400, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > >>profiles function. >> >>Any comments? >> > > i always thought that Configure.help an so (kernel style config) was a nightmare to maintain. > > In the other hand, there are lots of benefits from using the same config files as the kernel (menuconfig/xconfig will work without problems). That's unfortunately not the case. Also in the next Kernel release all this configuration stuff is changed anyway. I implemented it in a way it should be easy to maintain: script script.config script.help Once my test compile is through, I check the stuff in. cya Heiko |