|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-03-15 21:35:25
|
Hey, I was thinking about releasing 0.6 soon and change the release policy. At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new version after a very long time. We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month. What do you guys think about it? -- Regards Heiko We are Penguin, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-03-15 23:55:59
|
Hello Heiko and all! Heiko Zuerker wrote: > I was thinking about releasing 0.6 soon and change the release policy. > > At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new version > after a very long time. > We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month. > What do you guys think about it? I think that you are somehow in the same position as Linus Torvalds. The kernel development is also too long because of the featurism,... But I think good things do take a while and throwing out releases too often makes it moving a little too fast. When you'll be releasing 0.6 a lot of people have to learn how to use the new features, which will take it's time. And a release also will take more time from us to do the mailinglist support. For me it looks as if we are getting too broad as from where we started. Devil-Linux nowadays does lot's more than just simple firewalls. I know this is cool, but can we manage it in the future? Basically I want to put up the question where are we heading too? So much from my side. Now I'd like all others to choin in. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-03-16 01:05:31
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:
> Hello Heiko and all!
>
> Heiko Zuerker wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about releasing 0.6 soon and change the release policy.
>>
>> At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new
>> version after a very long time.
>> We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month.
>> What do you guys think about it?
>
>
> I think that you are somehow in the same position as Linus Torvalds.
> The kernel development is also too long because of the featurism,...
Or you could call it evolution.
> But I think good things do take a while and throwing out releases too
> often makes it moving a little too fast. When you'll be releasing 0.6
> a lot of people have to learn how to use the new features, which will
> take it's time. And a release also will take more time from us to do
> the mailinglist support.
That's true. We would need to count more on the people on the mailinglist.
> For me it looks as if we are getting too broad as from where we started.
> Devil-Linux nowadays does lot's more than just simple firewalls. I
> know this is cool, but can we manage it in the future? Basically I
> want to put up the question where are we heading too?
I understand your concerns.
I have some ideas about automating more things and due to that freeing
up more time for us:
- pre-defined configuration profiles:
make config router
make config all
- dedicated compile host which does nothing else then compiling all the
different profiles and sending emails when there's a problem.
- automatic download of newer release of the used sources
> So much from my side. Now I'd like all others to choin in.
Yeah, speak up guys ! ;-)
--
Regards
Heiko
We are Penguin, resistance is futile!
http://www.devil-linux.org
|
|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2003-03-16 01:40:54
|
>
> Yeah, speak up guys ! ;-)
>
Ok :)
"dont change a hair for me, not if you care for me"
From "my funny valentine"
-- billie holiday version is best :)
I have only looked at webmin a little, but it seems to be built around command
line linux, wrapped up in perl for the web. It has a very busy mailing list.
I get the impression they would embrace DL, though I didnt ask.
Keeping things simple and modular makes sense, automating later through webmin
or another web server. It would be nice to do everything from the build to the
kernel compile all custom on some donated server. Or the webserver could be
in-house, on the users support box.
--- Heiko Zuerker <he...@zu...> wrote:
> Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:
> > Hello Heiko and all!
> >
> > Heiko Zuerker wrote:
> >
> >> I was thinking about releasing 0.6 soon and change the release policy.
> >>
> >> At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new
> >> version after a very long time.
> >> We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month.
> >> What do you guys think about it?
> >
> >
> > I think that you are somehow in the same position as Linus Torvalds.
> > The kernel development is also too long because of the featurism,...
>
> Or you could call it evolution.
>
> > But I think good things do take a while and throwing out releases too
> > often makes it moving a little too fast. When you'll be releasing 0.6
> > a lot of people have to learn how to use the new features, which will
> > take it's time. And a release also will take more time from us to do
> > the mailinglist support.
>
> That's true. We would need to count more on the people on the mailinglist.
>
> > For me it looks as if we are getting too broad as from where we started.
> > Devil-Linux nowadays does lot's more than just simple firewalls. I
> > know this is cool, but can we manage it in the future? Basically I
> > want to put up the question where are we heading too?
>
> I understand your concerns.
>
> I have some ideas about automating more things and due to that freeing
> up more time for us:
> - pre-defined configuration profiles:
> make config router
> make config all
> - dedicated compile host which does nothing else then compiling all the
> different profiles and sending emails when there's a problem.
> - automatic download of newer release of the used sources
>
> > So much from my side. Now I'd like all others to choin in.
>
> Yeah, speak up guys ! ;-)
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Heiko
>
> We are Penguin, resistance is futile!
>
> http://www.devil-linux.org
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:Crypto Challenge is now open!
> Get cracking and register here for some mind boggling fun and
> the chance of winning an Apple iPod:
> http://ads.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?thaw0031en
> _______________________________________________
> Devil-linux-develop mailing list
> Dev...@li...
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop
=====
CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th...
President, The Linux Society
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society
linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme
ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc
__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Web Hosting - establish your business online
http://webhosting.yahoo.com
|
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-03-17 02:04:06
|
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 04:28:55PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new version > after a very long time. > We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month. > What do you guys think about it? i like the current release policy -> releasing only when the rc is tested for a while. moving to webmin could be a very good thing, but we should take care about the number of packages included on dl. the more packages we include, the more work we should keep doing (upgrading to never versions, etc) i also have a question for Heiko... are you happy with the current script system? (startup, package installation, booting procedure, etc)? -- -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-03-17 02:35:42
|
Diego Torres wrote: > On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 04:28:55PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > >>At the moment we collect a lot of changes and then release a new version >>after a very long time. >>We could go ahead and release a new version i.e. every 1-3 month. >>What do you guys think about it? > > > i like the current release policy -> releasing only when the rc is tested for a while. When we release a maintenance release on a regular basis, without any new features, I think this should improve the quality of DL a lot. > moving to webmin could be a very good thing, but we should take care about the number of packages included on dl. the more packages we include, the more work we should keep doing (upgrading to never versions, etc) Webmin would just be a web based configuration tool, which is an additional option. > i also have a question for Heiko... are you happy with the current script system? (startup, package installation, booting procedure, etc)? I don't have any complains about it, but we're always open for good ideas. The only thing I really would like to see soon, is storing and loading the configuration from a web server. This would ease the use of internal DL servers for non-security related tasks. -- Regards Heiko We are Penguin, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-03-17 08:09:26
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Diego Torres wrote: >> i also have a question for Heiko... are you happy with the current >> script system? (startup, package installation, booting procedure, etc)? > > I don't have any complains about it, but we're always open for good ideas. > The only thing I really would like to see soon, is storing and loading > the configuration from a web server. This would ease the use of internal > DL servers for non-security related tasks. Then we'd just need a dhcp and tftp client in the initrd. The parameters from where to pull the file comes via the dhcp protocol. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |