|
From: Heiko Z. <li...@zu...> - 2003-02-22 02:25:56
|
Hey folks, looks like the USB stuff is mostly included now. Ok, only devices supported by the vanilla kernel are currently supported. Only excemption is the SCM USBAT-02 CF card reader, which I happen to own. ;-) The current plan is to support USB storage devices in 2 stages: 1. saving the configuration on CF cards and pen drives 2. booting entirely from pen drives without any floppies or cdroms So I was thinking about compiling the USB chipset, USB storage driver and the needed SCSI support directly into the kernel. Does anyone has a reason why I should not do this? -- Regards Heiko We are Penguin, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-02-22 04:00:30
|
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:20:28PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > So I was thinking about compiling the USB chipset, USB storage driver > and the needed SCSI support directly into the kernel. > Does anyone has a reason why I should not do this? you're saying that if you load the scsi drivers as modules then you'll not be able to use a cf / usb pen ? i don't like the idea of bloating the kernel with lots of built-in support stuff (like scsi), mainly because i don't even have an ide hd installed on my router box... but, as always, the decision is up to you :) -- -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <li...@zu...> - 2003-02-22 15:06:03
|
Diego Torres wrote: > On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:20:28PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>So I was thinking about compiling the USB chipset, USB storage driver >>and the needed SCSI support directly into the kernel. >>Does anyone has a reason why I should not do this? > > > you're saying that if you load the scsi drivers as modules then you'll not be able to use a cf / usb pen ? > > i don't like the idea of bloating the kernel with lots of built-in support stuff (like scsi), mainly because i don't even have an ide hd installed on my router box... > > but, as always, the decision is up to you :) You still can influence my descision. -- Regards Heiko We are Penguin, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-02-22 10:17:45
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > So I was thinking about compiling the USB chipset, USB storage driver > and the needed SCSI support directly into the kernel. > Does anyone has a reason why I should not do this? If we can we should just put the necessary modules onto the ramdisk and onto the cdrom. This way we wouldn't bloat the kernel. BTW how much is a PenDrive when you'd buy it? Here I can buy an APACER Handydrive with 64MB for 40 EURO, 128MB for 60 EURO or 256 MB for 99 EURO. http://www.apacer.com/ does not currently work at the moment, so I can not provide a reference. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <li...@zu...> - 2003-02-22 15:06:03
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> So I was thinking about compiling the USB chipset, USB storage driver >> and the needed SCSI support directly into the kernel. >> Does anyone has a reason why I should not do this? > > If we can we should just put the necessary modules onto the ramdisk > and onto the cdrom. This way we wouldn't bloat the kernel. Ok guys, 2 votes against the inclusion. So let's stick with the modules. ;-) > BTW how much is a PenDrive when you'd buy it? Here I can buy an > APACER Handydrive with 64MB for 40 EURO, 128MB for 60 EURO or > 256 MB for 99 EURO. http://www.apacer.com/ does not currently work > at the moment, so I can not provide a reference. Prices are about the same, see http://www.memoryx.net -- Regards Heiko We are Penguin, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-02-22 15:10:58
|
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:57:58AM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >APACER Handydrive with 64MB for 40 EURO, 128MB for 60 EURO or > >256 MB for 99 EURO. http://www.apacer.com/ does not currently work > >at the moment, so I can not provide a reference. > > Prices are about the same, see http://www.memoryx.net in spain, some shops are selling an usb pen with sdd card of 64Mb for 45€ (so you get an sdd to usb adapter for free). I'll try to find the url of the provider. btw, has anyone bought an epia9000M? can it boot from an usb device? -- -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-02-22 15:56:05
|
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:10:43 +0100 Diego Torres <dt...@co...> wrote: > On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:57:58AM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >=20 > > >APACER Handydrive with 64MB for 40 EURO, 128MB for 60 EURO or > > >256 MB for 99 EURO. http://www.apacer.com/ does not currently work > > >at the moment, so I can not provide a reference. > >=20 > > Prices are about the same, see http://www.memoryx.net >=20 > in spain, some shops are selling an usb pen with sdd card of 64Mb for > 45=A4 (so you get an sdd to usb adapter for free). I'll try to find the > url of the provider. >=20 > btw, has anyone bought an epia9000M? can it boot from an usb device? Until now I found only one computer which supported it, it was a Compaq Evo= D500 . I didn't get any newer computers in my hands.=20 Heiko |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-02-22 17:43:16
|
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:47:47AM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > btw, has anyone bought an epia9000M? can it boot from an usb device? > > Until now I found only one computer which supported it, it was a Compaq Evo D500 . > I didn't get any newer computers in my hands. looks like we need an IDE cf reader... -- -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-02-22 18:06:06
|
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:41:35 +0100 Diego Torres <dt...@co...> wrote: > On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:47:47AM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > > > btw, has anyone bought an epia9000M? can it boot from an usb > > > device? > > > > Until now I found only one computer which supported it, it was a > > Compaq Evo D500 . I didn't get any newer computers in my hands. > > looks like we need an IDE cf reader... Roland got that already working, but he currently has no time to "fix" it for the public. cya Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-02-22 18:43:14
|
Diego Torres wrote: > > looks like we need an IDE cf reader... > Or boards that already have a cf reader, like the ones from http://www.soekris.com/ + http://www.netgate.com/EL2511MP.html but that's another story ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-02-23 11:17:47
|
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 07:43:02PM +0100, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Or boards that already have a cf reader, like the ones from > http://www.soekris.com/ i like this one a lot: http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm, and also keep an eye on http://www.openbrick.org, but they're quite expensive. currently the via epia9000m is 105$ on http://www.mini-itx.com (and could be used as a divx/dvd player, cause its a c3@900Mhz. the pitty is that delivery costs are very high (to spain). -- -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dt...@co... - Madrid / España |