Hello,
The last email I sent out had disk and partition tools useful in the boot
process of an ISO Linux.
I attempted to compile the Kudzu tool from RedHat but ran into difficutly. A
necessary component of Kudzu is Pciutils.
I compiled that and then grepped the output against a hardware database
supplied by debian in the Kudzu package. As it turns out, the same information
was available in the /proc/isa "live" file on my debian linux install.
------------------------------------------------
Note: This is how it works on Deiban
------------------------------------------------
The cli command supplied by Pciutils, lspci produced:
( three dots are removed unnecessary data )
# lspci
...
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 74)
...
------------------------------------------------
I Greped a part of that string from the database file:
#grep 3c905C-TX pcitable-kudzu
0x10b7 0x9200 "3c59x" "3Com Corporation|3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink]"
-- 3c95x -- is the correct loadable module for this device.
The first two numbers in the line are the vendor ID and the device ID in hec.
-----------------------------------------------
if you do:
# lspci -n
...
00:0a.0 Class 0200: 10b7:9200 (rev 74)
...
You can see the vendor IDs in the second to last column.
-----------------------------------------------
#cat /proc/pci
...
Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
Ethernet controller: 3Com Unknown device (rev 116).
Vendor id=10b7. Device id=9200.
Medium devsel. IRQ 10. Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=10.Max
Lat=10.
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdf800000 [0xdf800000].
...
Here you can see the vendor and device IDs.
---------------------------------------------------
For the one-off effort, grepping the IDs from the supplied database file will
give you the proper modules to use.
--------------------------------------------------
Now On Devil Linux
--------------------------------------------------
Things were a little different on Devil Linux :(
lspci produced the same thing as lspci -n ... numbers and not text
So I will definately have to write a perl script demonstrating complex
strutures !!
I have attached lspci and the database file for your use.
At the next Linux Society general meeting I will demonstrate their use with a
perl script and complex structure storage.
My only question is: "where is the most up2date database file located ??"
John, President of the Linux Society
=====
John van Vlaanderen
#################################################
# CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... #
# President, The Linux Society #
# http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thelinuxsociety #
#################################################
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better
http://health.yahoo.com |