|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2002-04-20 22:50:59
|
Hi, To build my own DL, I mounted the /dev/hdd fixed ISO, cp -r the cdrom to the iso directory. Then I successfully made an ISO image and burned it w/ cdrecord. It boots ok, then gets the floppy configutions. Then, when it tries mount the CD it fails. So I added a /bin/sh after the failing point in the cdrom_mount script to see what was up. When I typed ps -ef, I found /bin/sh mount_cdrom /cdrom is "S" state (sleep ??) I then typed in the mount -t iso9660 command at the command line and it said "resourse busy" --- but it mounted the drive !! I tested the downloaded ISO again, and it boots ok. Any clue ?? BTW, I downloaded the LFS packages and I am ready to build their basic system. I also found: "BBLCD is the acronym for Bernhard's Bootable Linux CD. You can also read it as Build your own Bootable Linux CD" http://www.bablokb.de/bblcd/ Also the ISO boot scripting tool looks good, adds rescue capability. Do you think it boots NT or Win 98 ?? (just curious, never use that stuff) John ===== John van Vlaanderen ############################################# # CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... # # # Proud Sponsor of The Linux Society # # http://www.thelinuxsociety.org # ############################################# __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more http://games.yahoo.com/ |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2002-04-21 00:07:37
|
"John van V." wrote: > > Hi, > > To build my own DL, I mounted the /dev/hdd fixed ISO, cp -r the cdrom to the > iso directory. Then I successfully made an ISO image and burned it w/ > cdrecord. Do I understand correct that you are trying to do this: * copy the content from cd to harddisk * change some scripts * re-assemble cd * burn cd But I think Heiko recreated the iso image for you so you can use your fast cd drive at /dev/hdd. ftp://ftp.devil-linux.org/pub/devel/testing/devil-linux-0.5rc1-hz-20020420.tar.bz2 > Any clue ?? When I'd understand what you are trying to do, I might have one. > BTW, I downloaded the LFS packages and I am ready to build their basic system. Ok, as a homework script the built of the LFS system and we do not need the pre-compiled LFS system for download. > I also found: > > "BBLCD is the acronym for Bernhard's Bootable Linux CD. You can also read it as > Build your own Bootable Linux CD" > http://www.bablokb.de/bblcd/ > > Also the ISO boot scripting tool looks good, adds rescue capability. It's not really what we need. > > Do you think it boots NT or Win 98 ?? (just curious, never use that stuff)-- from the link above: ...Windows, it's impossible.... MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock |
|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2002-04-21 01:19:03
|
Hi,
> Do I understand correct that you are trying to do this:
> * copy the content from cd to harddisk
> * change some scripts
> * re-assemble cd
> * burn cd
Yes, that is correct. I used the fixed ISO image. Somehow what I did broke
something...
Basically, I (or we, the linux society) want a build system just like yours.
What do you suggest ??
John
=====
John van Vlaanderen
#############################################
# CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... # #
# Proud Sponsor of The Linux Society #
# http://www.thelinuxsociety.org #
#############################################
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more
http://games.yahoo.com/
|
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2002-04-21 10:31:39
|
"John van V." wrote: > > Hi, > > > Do I understand correct that you are trying to do this: > > * copy the content from cd to harddisk > > * change some scripts > > * re-assemble cd > > * burn cd > > Yes, that is correct. I used the fixed ISO image. Somehow what I did broke > something... > > Basically, I (or we, the linux society) want a build system just like yours. What you tried to do was somehow reverse engineer our stuff. That's not needed because you can take our sources and scripts. Why don't you take our build system and extend it to your needs. Adding the sources of the programms you need and writing the approiate build scripts (see the existing ones if you need an example). "Where do you want to go"? What do you want to add? -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock |
|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2002-04-22 04:08:16
|
> What you tried to do was somehow reverse engineer our stuff. That's > not needed because you can take our sources and scripts. Yes, it seemed simple enough at the time :( > Why don't you take our build system and extend it to your needs. Ok > "Where do you want to go"? What do you want to add? The first thing I would like to do is somehow benchmark the efficency of SHMFS and swap as opposed to the traditional Linux setup. It is so radical and inexpensive as to be very inviting. Secondly I would like to write swap and lvm scripts tuned for various amounts of ram, and ultimately, various file systems. NTFS should at some time be conquered by the penguin. It would also be nice to compile raid into the kernel. Also important to me, is hardware detection, especially ethernet. This is accomplished in at least two other CD based distributions. There have been a few requests for DL build kits from the linux society, we truly intend to put it into production because of its simplicity. The Linux Society has also bonded with a group that supplies PCs to poor families in a town near NYC. They too are intrigued by DL as an educational tool for teenagers wishing to enter systems operations. They cannot, by the way, legally distribute Microsoft. http://www.pcrenew.org/ Pictures of their recycling operation: http://www.pcrenew.org/ncworkshop_7_30_01.htm http://www.pcrenew.org/ncworkshop_8_01_01.htm John > > -- > MfG / Regards > Friedrich Lobenstock > > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop ===== John van Vlaanderen ############################################# # CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... # # # Proud Sponsor of The Linux Society # # http://www.thelinuxsociety.org # ############################################# __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more http://games.yahoo.com/ |