|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2002-01-20 04:20:20
|
Hi, I'm really impressed by the statistics https://sourceforge.net/project/stats/index.php?report=months&group_id=34096 Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no real competitor right now, or? I'm also suprised, because currently we have a lot of downloads of the very old 0.44 release. Do you have any suggestions to make Devil-Linux even more well-known? I'm not sure, if we're ready do write something to Linux Magazines. When I think what the C'T Magazine wrote about Smoothwall, I'm scared the same can happen to us. cu Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2002-01-20 13:13:42
|
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:10, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no real competitor right now, > or? Hmmm, I don't think so. Take a look at http://lwn.net/Distributions/ There must be some equivalent distribution around. > I'm also suprised, because currently we have a lot of downloads of > the very old 0.44 release. It's the last none beta. > Do you have any suggestions to make Devil-Linux even more > well-known? I'm not sure, if we're ready do write something to > Linux Magazines. When I think what the C'T Magazine wrote about > Smoothwall, I'm scared the same can happen to us. IMHO we are not quite there were we want to be, that's why we only have betas right now. I would wait with writing articles for magezines till we have a really stable and secure base. With secure I mean, verified by 1000 eyes. With stable I mean that we are just updating the sources of the tools to the new version which fix security problems and not system relevant stuff like SysV init, .... -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Gunther S. <Gu...@St...> - 2002-01-20 13:31:28
|
Hello Friedrich, I completely agree. We're not there where we want to be. But WHAT is it we want ????? --> We should create a roadmap or something that drives us to a stage where we can say okay: now the point has come to write to ct,ix and other magazines. In my eyes devil-linux is "just a distribution", but a special one ;-) in other words: it is the basis for a lot of other tools ! You can run a bgp-router with zebra or a nameserver with named and so on. As one can see there are various possible applications. We have to add a lot of packages (is smoothwall a package ??? *smile) in order to allow a whole bunch of applications. For example a set-permissions-script as we know it from suse would be great. to be continued.... Have a nice sunday and bye. -----Ursprungliche Nachricht----- Von: dev...@li... [mailto:dev...@li...]Im Auftrag von Friedrich Lobenstock Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Januar 2002 14:14 An: Devil-Linux-Developer Mailing Liste Betreff: Re: [Devil-linux-develop] statistics, competitors On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:10, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no real competitor right now, > or? Hmmm, I don't think so. Take a look at http://lwn.net/Distributions/ There must be some equivalent distribution around. > I'm also suprised, because currently we have a lot of downloads of > the very old 0.44 release. It's the last none beta. > Do you have any suggestions to make Devil-Linux even more > well-known? I'm not sure, if we're ready do write something to > Linux Magazines. When I think what the C'T Magazine wrote about > Smoothwall, I'm scared the same can happen to us. IMHO we are not quite there were we want to be, that's why we only have betas right now. I would wait with writing articles for magezines till we have a really stable and secure base. With secure I mean, verified by 1000 eyes. With stable I mean that we are just updating the sources of the tools to the new version which fix security problems and not system relevant stuff like SysV init, .... -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Devil-linux-develop mailing list Dev...@li... https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2002-01-20 15:40:36
|
Hi, you're both right. A Roadmap would be good, but you can only create one, if you're able do implement the stuff in the announced time. We have a list of what we want to implement at the end of the introduction page, that's at least something. About the set-permission-script. I already added this stuff in CVS, but it's still far from perfect. It needs a lot more additions and testing. cu Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2002-01-20 16:42:21
|
On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:36, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > A Roadmap would be good, but you can only create one, if you're able do > implement the stuff in the announced time. I would say that to make up a roadmap, one that does not state definite dates, but milestones, we need to make a feature freeze now and then. > We have a list of what we want to implement at the end of the > introduction page, that's at least something. Ok, that's something. We could do better, if we could define that those things are done in a specific order. So people somehow know where we are standing and where we are going. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2002-01-20 17:20:21
|
On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:42:14 +0100 (CET) "Friedrich Lobenstock" <fl...@fl...> wrote: > On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:36, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > I would say that to make up a roadmap, one that does not state > definite dates, but milestones, we need to make a feature freeze now > and then. Yeah that is right. The only problem is, that we're not many Developers at the moment. > > We have a list of what we want to implement at the end of the > > introduction page, that's at least something. > > Ok, that's something. We could do better, if we could define that > those things are done in a specific order. So people somehow know > where we are standing and where we are going. Right. I create a new email with the list from the webpage. Let's discuss it there. cu Heiko |