|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2001-11-15 01:30:34
|
Hello Folks, I think most of you have heard about the concerns of the future of Sourceforge. We're currently thinking about moving all our services to other providers or even to our own server. Do you have any suggestions? Where should we move? Which software should we use? We need CVS of course, some kind of Web based project management, bug tracking, feature requests, all this stuff SF offers to us. What to do with the mailing list? (If we use a own server, this would not be a problem). Where can I place our own server? I will ask at my company, but I can't put a download server there. Another problem is the huge traffic which is caused by the many downloads of Devil-Linux, we can't use only one download location like the FTP server which was provided by Mainlab GmbH (http://www.mainlab.de). -- cu Heiko I am root, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Gunther S. \(M. GmbH\) <gs...@ma...> - 2001-11-17 15:33:50
|
Hello Heiko, hello rest of the list (who are you... ?), In my oppinion there are two possible solutions: a) the use of an alternative to sourceforge.net: - http://www.sourcefubar.net - Tigris.org - Savannah.org - BerliOS.de Has anyone made any experiences with one of those ? b) We could run our own sourceforge-like service using the sourceforge-software or any other nice cvs-tool. At the moment the traffic on the mainlab-downloadserver is very low. Have a look: http://support.rackbase.de/ftpstats/ftp.de.devil-linux.org/ We could transfer the whole domain (devil-linux.org) to the mainlab-server. We are running mailman as mailinglist-software so the future of the list is safe. What's our "own server" ?? Are you talking about a physical server? Well... we could offer free serverhousing for a one or two HE (= "U") machine in our racks. >Another problem is the huge traffic which is caused by the many >downloads of Devil-Linux, we can't use only one download location like >the FTP server which was provided by Mainlab GmbH (http://www.mainlab.de). ^^^^^no problem at all. As long as devillinux doesn't consume all our bandwidth :-) up to 50 Gigs a month is absolutely ok - no question :-) What are we going to do now ? + Serverhousing @ www.rackbase.de + --------------------------------------------------------- Mainlab GmbH Sachsenhauser Landwehrweg 236 60598 Frankfurt am Main Tel. / Fax: 0700-2MAINLAB (0700-26246522) Email: in...@ma... Web: www.mainlab.de -----Ursprungliche Nachricht----- Von: dev...@li... [mailto:dev...@li...]Im Auftrag von Heiko Zuerker Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. November 2001 02:29 An: dev...@li... Betreff: [Devil-linux-develop] sourceforge Hello Folks, I think most of you have heard about the concerns of the future of Sourceforge. We're currently thinking about moving all our services to other providers or even to our own server. Do you have any suggestions? Where should we move? Which software should we use? We need CVS of course, some kind of Web based project management, bug tracking, feature requests, all this stuff SF offers to us. What to do with the mailing list? (If we use a own server, this would not be a problem). Where can I place our own server? I will ask at my company, but I can't put a download server there. Another problem is the huge traffic which is caused by the many downloads of Devil-Linux, we can't use only one download location like the FTP server which was provided by Mainlab GmbH (http://www.mainlab.de). -- cu Heiko I am root, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org _______________________________________________ Devil-linux-develop mailing list Dev...@li... https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2001-11-17 17:10:06
|
Hi, >a) the use of an alternative to sourceforge.net: > But there could happen the same as on Sourceforge. For this reason I don't like this idea so much. But the big advantage of this is, that the administration and maintainance of the system has not to be done by us. >b) We could run our own sourceforge-like service using the >sourceforge-software or any other nice cvs-tool. > CVS is the least problem, we can setup this easily. >At the moment the traffic on the mainlab-downloadserver is very low. Have a >look: http://support.rackbase.de/ftpstats/ftp.de.devil-linux.org/ > Yes currently, we need to stay at sourceforge at least as download location. In November we had over 2500 downloads from sourceforge and this is only half a month. This means 50 GByte transfer in half a month! >We could transfer the whole domain (devil-linux.org) to the mainlab-server. >We are running mailman as mailinglist-software so the future of the list is >safe. > >What's our "own server" ?? Are you talking about a physical server? >Well... we could offer free serverhousing for a one or two HE (= "U") >machine in our racks. > Yes I mean this with our own server. Own hardware, self maintained. I was more thinking about putting this one on my T1 line in the company, because I don't have a rack server available and of course, then I can easily administrate this box. But I have to ask first and I can't use this as a download server, or only with a traffic shapper (max 500kBit/s). So it's not sure I can do it. >>^^^^^no problem at all. As long as devillinux doesn't consume all our >>bandwidth :-) up to 50 Gigs a month is absolutely ok - no question :-) >> As I wrote, we have already 50 GBytes and sourceforge. :-(( >What are we going to do now ? > Good question. Next week I have a long weekend (starting from Thursday), so I could do "something". But I have also vacation on end of November for 2 weeks, so I don't have much time available. What do you think? I'm open for every suggestion. -- cu Heiko I am root, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2001-11-18 18:42:40
|
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:33, Gunther Stammwitz (Mainlab GmbH) wrote: > (who are you... ?), Me, for examle :-) > In my oppinion there are two possible solutions: > > a) the use of an alternative to sourceforge.net: > - http://www.sourcefubar.net > - Tigris.org > - Savannah.org > - BerliOS.de > > Has anyone made any experiences with one of those ? I think BerliOS.de has a version of the SF-software running, but I don't really know more about it. > b) We could run our own sourceforge-like service using the > sourceforge-software or any other nice cvs-tool. > > At the moment the traffic on the mainlab-downloadserver is very low. Have a > look: http://support.rackbase.de/ftpstats/ftp.de.devil-linux.org/ > > > We could transfer the whole domain (devil-linux.org) to the mainlab-server. > We are running mailman as mailinglist-software so the future of the list is > safe. > > What's our "own server" ?? Are you talking about a physical server? > Well... we could offer free serverhousing for a one or two HE (= "U") > machine in our racks. No I don't think, that Heiko is thinking about an own physical server, but it Would for sure be a good thing (tm) to have ones own physical server ;-) > > >Another problem is the huge traffic which is caused by the many > >downloads of Devil-Linux, we can't use only one download location like > >the FTP server which was provided by Mainlab GmbH (http://www.mainlab.de). > > ^^^^^no problem at all. As long as devillinux doesn't consume all our > bandwidth :-) up to 50 Gigs a month is absolutely ok - no question :-) That sounds quiet promising. > > What are we going to do now ? It's up to Heiko to descide that. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2001-11-18 18:55:23
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: >Would for sure be a good thing (tm) to have ones own physical >server ;-) > I think this would have the most advantages. >>>Another problem is the huge traffic which is caused by the many >>>downloads of Devil-Linux, we can't use only one download location like >>>the FTP server which was provided by Mainlab GmbH (http://www.mainlab.de). >>> >>^^^^^no problem at all. As long as devillinux doesn't consume all our >>bandwidth :-) up to 50 Gigs a month is absolutely ok - no question :-) >> > >That sounds quiet promising. > Yes. But as I wrote in my other mail, we need more download locations. There are already to many downloads. >>What are we going to do now ? >> >It's up to Heiko to descide that. > Of course. ;-) But I want to find the best solution, that's the reason why I want to discuss this here. Once we have all the needed information, we select the best options. -- cu Heiko I am root, resistance is futile! http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2001-11-18 19:07:10
|
On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:51, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >That sounds quiet promising. > > Yes. But as I wrote in my other mail, we need more download locations. > There are already to many downloads. Sorry, just came back from the weekend and I read your answer after I wrote mine. That's a problem when one leaves for some days - the inbox is quite full. > >It's up to Heiko to descide that. > > Of course. ;-) But I want to find the best solution, that's the > reason why I want to discuss this here. Once we have all the > needed information, we select the best options. The solution with the self owned server also has it's drawbacks - maintainability. If there's one big project I think that they would fix a problem much earlier as we could and they also have to use clustered server. So I don't really know what's best right now. Maybe we'd check the available projects to see how by whom they are backed up. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Martin M. <mm...@si...> - 2001-11-19 16:53:16
|
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:51:55PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Yes. But as I wrote in my other mail, we need more download locations. > There are already to many downloads. If that's what concerns you most, I'll ask my friends in the DFN (German Research Network) if they'd run a mirror. I usually don't like bothering them, but that shouldn't be a problem. bye MM |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2001-11-19 18:55:09
|
Martin Mueller wrote: > On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:51:55PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>Yes. But as I wrote in my other mail, we need more download locations. >>There are already to many downloads. > > If that's what concerns you most, I'll ask my friends in the DFN > (German Research Network) if they'd run a mirror. I usually don't like > bothering them, but that shouldn't be a problem. That would be very nice. ;-) It's just our biggest problem, because of the traffic. For CVS and all the other stuff it's not that hard to find a solution. Or better, it seems that we have one. ;-) -- cu Heiko http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2001-11-20 12:19:13
|
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:53, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > For CVS and all the other stuff it's not that hard to find a solution. > Or better, it seems that we have one. ;-) Aha, be more specific. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock FL226-RIPE Internetservices URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2001-11-20 14:00:10
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:53, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > Aha, be more specific. We have no details yet, but we will have our own server. Options: 1. (moste likely) Server located at Mainlab GmbH, we just have to resolve some hardware issues first. 2. Located at my Company, either in Germany or in the U.S. (more likely) For this, I would have hardware available. -- cu Heiko http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2001-11-20 00:40:26
|
I did a quick search over freshmeat and found the following project management tools (selection reduced): Double Choco Latte http://dcl.sourceforge.net Mantis http://mantisbt.sourceforge.net Bugzilla http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bugzilla Tutos http://www.tutos.org And of course the Sourceforge Software, for which we will never get an update, except we pay for it. The last public version was 2.5, which was released in 2000. But to be honest, there was no tool which I really liked. But we have to use, what we get. Tell me what you think. cu Heiko |