|
From: Roland P. <ro...@pa...> - 2004-04-08 23:42:48
Attachments:
boot_config.diff
boot_usb_storage.diff
|
Hi, here is my implementation for the config boot paramter. I've tested it, and it works as proposed the other day. I increased the verbosity of the output a bit, which sometimes leads to lines longer than 79 characters (which was avoided when possible). Is that a problem? (those devfs pathnames are just too long...) Another thing that annoyed me: the "sleep 15" for usb-storage. If usb-storage has no devices to initialize, that can be skipped. That's what the other patch is for ( but maybe someone can think of a better implementation ) Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-09 00:16:17
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > Hi, > here is my implementation for the config boot paramter. I've tested it, and it > works as proposed the other day. I increased the verbosity of the output a > bit, which sometimes leads to lines longer than 79 characters (which was > avoided when possible). Is that a problem? (those devfs pathnames are just > too long...) > Another thing that annoyed me: the "sleep 15" for usb-storage. If usb-storage > has no devices to initialize, that can be skipped. That's what the other > patch is for ( but maybe someone can think of a better implementation ) > Roland I all patch and test your stuff. Can you also send a patch for the CHANGES file? And yes, I don't like the 15 seconds either. Heiko |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-09 00:45:44
Attachments:
CHANGES.diff
|
On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Roland Pabel wrote: > > Hi, [...] > > Can you also send a patch for the CHANGES file? here it is > And yes, I don't like the 15 seconds either. The other thing that's still annoying is that you can't see directly which version you are about to boot. I've played with the ppm-tools for half an hour: writing DL_VERSION_FULL string into the devil-linux.pnm image in build-iso is simple. Writing it beautifully is a bit harder...but more of that tomorrow... Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-09 01:06:20
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>Roland Pabel wrote: >> >>>Hi, > > [...] > >>Can you also send a patch for the CHANGES file? > > here it is > >>And yes, I don't like the 15 seconds either. > > The other thing that's still annoying is that you can't see directly which > version you are about to boot. I've played with the ppm-tools for half an > hour: writing DL_VERSION_FULL string into the devil-linux.pnm image in > build-iso is simple. Writing it beautifully is a bit harder...but more of > that tomorrow... I added the patches. It would be great if everybody could test it, especially if you use a usb storage device. Heiko |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-09 12:39:31
|
On Friday 09 April 2004 03:01, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Roland Pabel wrote: > > On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>Roland Pabel wrote: > >>>Hi, [...] > > It would be great if everybody could test it, especially if you use a > usb storage device. Looks like I did that test wrong. It only 'worked for me'(tm) because the module was never loaded. When loaded but listed as unused, the test evaluates to true and it sleeps. When loaded and used, it will fail and not sleep. I think a loaded usb-storage module should be enough reason for the sleep, so shorten the test to: if [ `lsmod | grep -c "^usb-storage"` != 0 ]; then Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-09 13:11:16
|
> On Friday 09 April 2004 03:01, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> Roland Pabel wrote: >> > On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >> >>Roland Pabel wrote: >> >>>Hi, > [...] >> >> It would be great if everybody could test it, especially if you use a >> usb storage device. > Looks like I did that test wrong. It only 'worked for me'(tm) because the > module was never loaded. When loaded but listed as unused, the test > evaluates > to true and it sleeps. When loaded and used, it will fail and not sleep. > I think a loaded usb-storage module should be enough reason for the sleep, > so > shorten the test to: > if [ `lsmod | grep -c "^usb-storage"` != 0 ]; then Ah wait a minute, I thought usb-storage is directly compiled into the kernel.... (Can't verify right now) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-09 13:36:55
|
On Friday 09 April 2004 15:08, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > On Friday 09 April 2004 03:01, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Roland Pabel wrote: > >> > On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> >>Roland Pabel wrote: > >> >>>Hi, > > > > [...] > > > >> It would be great if everybody could test it, especially if you use a > >> usb storage device. > > > > Looks like I did that test wrong. It only 'worked for me'(tm) because the > > module was never loaded. When loaded but listed as unused, the test > > evaluates > > to true and it sleeps. When loaded and used, it will fail and not sleep. > > I think a loaded usb-storage module should be enough reason for the > > sleep, so > > shorten the test to: > > if [ `lsmod | grep -c "^usb-storage"` != 0 ]; then > > Ah wait a minute, I thought usb-storage is directly compiled into the > kernel.... (Can't verify right now) You're right. Take that patch out again... I'll have a look at it over eastern, there must be some way to detect if usb-storage is used or not... Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-09 22:36:22
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > On Friday 09 April 2004 15:08, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >>>On Friday 09 April 2004 03:01, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>> >>>>Roland Pabel wrote: >>>> >>>>>On Friday 09 April 2004 02:14, Heiko Zuerker wrote: >>>>> >>>>>>Roland Pabel wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>>>Hi, >>> >>>[...] >>> >>> >>>>It would be great if everybody could test it, especially if you use a >>>>usb storage device. >>> >>>Looks like I did that test wrong. It only 'worked for me'(tm) because the >>>module was never loaded. When loaded but listed as unused, the test >>>evaluates >>>to true and it sleeps. When loaded and used, it will fail and not sleep. >>>I think a loaded usb-storage module should be enough reason for the >>>sleep, so >>>shorten the test to: >>>if [ `lsmod | grep -c "^usb-storage"` != 0 ]; then >> >>Ah wait a minute, I thought usb-storage is directly compiled into the >>kernel.... (Can't verify right now) > > You're right. Take that patch out again... DONE Heiko |