|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-06 23:18:10
|
Hi, I'm think of saving my configs on the harddisks instead of floppies, but there is one thing that is not possible with config on disks now: changing them easily prior to boot. Can't replace my harddisk as I do it with floppies... I thought of this: I'd add a boot parameter "config=<device>:<name of etc.tar.bz2>", i.e. "config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2". The execution flow in linuxrc: - device and filename given: search that device for file, if not found, standard behavious (load first etc.tar.bz2) - only device given: device would be prepended to the list of devices in linuxrc and searched first - only filename file would be searched on any device first, if not found, search for etc.tar.bz2 on all devices in standard order that last two cases can be easily seperated: devicenames contain "/dev/", filenames *should* not... Comments? Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-06 23:25:45
|
Roland Pabel wrote on 07.04.2004 01:18 MET: > I'm think of saving my configs on the harddisks instead of floppies, but there > is one thing that is not possible with config on disks now: changing them > easily prior to boot. Can't replace my harddisk as I do it with floppies... > I thought of this: > I'd add a boot parameter "config=<device>:<name of etc.tar.bz2>", i.e. > "config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2". > The execution flow in linuxrc: > > - device and filename given: > search that device for file, if not found, standard behavious (load first > etc.tar.bz2) > - only device given: > device would be prepended to the list of devices in linuxrc and searched first > - only filename > file would be searched on any device first, if not found, search for > etc.tar.bz2 on all devices in standard order Äh, what do you mean by "any device first"? Do you intend to have some function that try's all possible and impossible block devices and their partitions if any? > that last two cases can be easily seperated: devicenames contain "/dev/", > filenames *should* not... That's right. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-04-06 23:34:00
|
On Wednesday 07 April 2004 01:24, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Roland Pabel wrote on 07.04.2004 01:18 MET: [...] > > =C4h, what do you mean by "any device first"? Do you intend to have some > function that try's all possible and impossible block devices and their > partitions if any? I don't need to code that, that essentially what linuxrc does... "Any" here just means "scan the standard devices", which is what the=20 CONFIG_SRC_LIST variable hols in the linuxrc script. (That is now almost=20 "every devices": ide-/scsi- cdroms/disks/partition and floppies). What I wanted to describe was: when a filename is given, search for it firs= t;=20 if not found, search for "etc.tar.bz2" in the 'usual places' (is that bette= r=20 than "any device" ? ;-) ) Roland =2D-=20 ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-04-06 23:38:33
|
Roland Pabel wrote on 07.04.2004 01:33 MET: > On Wednesday 07 April 2004 01:24, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > >>Roland Pabel wrote on 07.04.2004 01:18 MET: > > [...] > >>Äh, what do you mean by "any device first"? Do you intend to have some >>function that try's all possible and impossible block devices and their >>partitions if any? > > I don't need to code that, that essentially what linuxrc does... > "Any" here just means "scan the standard devices", which is what the > CONFIG_SRC_LIST variable hols in the linuxrc script. (That is now almost > "every devices": ide-/scsi- cdroms/disks/partition and floppies). > What I wanted to describe was: when a filename is given, search for it first; > if not found, search for "etc.tar.bz2" in the 'usual places' (is that better > than "any device" ? ;-) ) Yes that's more wording ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-04-07 02:01:17
|
Roland Pabel wrote: > Hi, > I'm think of saving my configs on the harddisks instead of floppies, but there > is one thing that is not possible with config on disks now: changing them > easily prior to boot. Can't replace my harddisk as I do it with floppies... > I thought of this: > I'd add a boot parameter "config=<device>:<name of etc.tar.bz2>", i.e. > "config=/dev/hda1:backup.tar.bz2". > The execution flow in linuxrc: > > - device and filename given: > search that device for file, if not found, standard behavious (load first > etc.tar.bz2) > - only device given: > device would be prepended to the list of devices in linuxrc and searched first > - only filename > file would be searched on any device first, if not found, search for > etc.tar.bz2 on all devices in standard order > > that last two cases can be easily seperated: devicenames contain "/dev/", > filenames *should* not... > Comments? I think this is a good idea. Heiko |