|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-16 05:46:31
|
Hi I have made and tested the scripts for "screen"=20 (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) a terminal multiplexer. =46rom the homepage - "SCREEN allows you to switch between programs and yet use just only one=20 "terminal". So you can write texts, look at emails and newsgroups, read=20 webpages, download files, all at the same time - but with a window for each= =20 program. " I find screen extremely useful for remote admin of any linux box, especiall= y=20 the ability to detach from the screen session and then reconnect at a later= =20 time with everything still running. Let me know Martin |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-16 12:04:21
|
On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:47:07PM -0700, Martin Glazer wrote: > I find screen extremely useful for remote admin of any linux box, especially > the ability to detach from the screen session and then reconnect at a later > time with everything still running. please, send it :) btw: do you use screen when connecting from putty? -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-16 17:43:07
|
On December 16, 2003 05:03 am, Diego Torres wrote: > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:47:07PM -0700, Martin Glazer wrote: > > I find screen extremely useful for remote admin of any linux box, > > especially the ability to detach from the screen session and then > > reconnect at a later time with everything still running. > > please, send it :) I'll post the files later tonight... > > btw: do you use screen when connecting from putty? Don't use putty much these days, but have definitely used it before with putty. I mostly use it when I login remotely and want to check out a logfile while doing something else without loging in again. Martin |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-16 18:35:31
|
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:44:02AM -0700, Martin Glazer wrote: > > btw: do you use screen when connecting from putty? > > Don't use putty much these days, but have definitely used it before with > putty. I mostly use it when I login remotely and want to check out a logfile > while doing something else without loging in again. i'm having problems when using iptraf from a putty through a screen session. it looks exactly like if i didn't use the "erase screen with background color option" on putty. but, midnight commander, for example, displays ok. -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-16 18:39:25
|
> > > btw: do you use screen when connecting from putty? > > > > Don't use putty much these days, but have definitely used it before with > > putty. I mostly use it when I login remotely and want to check out a logfile > > while doing something else without loging in again. > > i'm having problems when using iptraf from a putty through a screen session. > > it looks exactly like if i didn't use the "erase screen with background color > option" on putty. but, midnight commander, for example, displays ok. Have you tried messing around with different values for TERM ? - BS |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-16 18:46:46
|
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:39:18PM -0500, Bruce Smith wrote: > > it looks exactly like if i didn't use the "erase screen with background color > > option" on putty. but, midnight commander, for example, displays ok. > > Have you tried messing around with different values for TERM ? yes, same result no success. (i've tried xterm, screen, linux, vt100). because screen has his own termcap/terminfo entries this could possibly be a bug on the iptraf usage of ncurses. -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-16 18:52:45
|
On December 16, 2003 11:46 am, Diego Torres wrote: > On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:39:18PM -0500, Bruce Smith wrote: > > > it looks exactly like if i didn't use the "erase screen with background > > > color option" on putty. but, midnight commander, for example, displays > > > ok. > > > > Have you tried messing around with different values for TERM ? > > yes, same result no success. (i've tried xterm, screen, linux, vt100). > because screen has his own termcap/terminfo entries this could possibly be > a bug on the iptraf usage of ncurses. I haven't got into that much detail with putty - are you having the problem if you use another client, or only with putty? Martin |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-16 18:58:30
|
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:53:40AM -0700, Martin Glazer wrote: > > I haven't got into that much detail with putty - are you having the problem if > you use another client, or only with putty? i've heard from people using zoc (yeah, that old os/2 terminal client) that have no problems at all. -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 05:49:04
Attachments:
screen-dl.tgz
|
Hi I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build directory. To obtain the source files, please download them from ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz Let me know if there are any problems... Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 16:14:52
|
> I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build > directory. > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz Why not screen-4.0.2.tar.gz ? (released on Dec 5th) - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 20:08:05
|
> I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build > directory. > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz OK, it looks good. It compiled and installed fine on my system. I just checked it into CVS and uploaded screen-4.0.2 to FTP. (I also closed the feature request and subscribed at freshmeat :) - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 19:28:20
|
On December 17, 2003 09:14 am, Bruce Smith wrote: > > I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build > > directory. > > > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz > > Why not screen-4.0.2.tar.gz ? (released on Dec 5th) Where do you find 4.0.2? - the latest according to the website (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) and freshmeat is 4.0.1, although I haven't checked any of the other GNU mirrors. Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 19:35:08
|
> > > I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build > > > directory. > > > > > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > > > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz > > > > Why not screen-4.0.2.tar.gz ? (released on Dec 5th) > > Where do you find 4.0.2? I just went to ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/ and looked at all the files. 4.0.2 was the latest. > - the latest according to the website (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) I just looked there, and it lists 4.0.2 as the latest on my browser. Maybe you need to force a reload and/or nuke your browser cache? > and freshmeat is 4.0.1, although I haven't > checked any of the other GNU mirrors. Yeah, freshmeat hasn't been updated yet. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 20:24:44
|
On December 17, 2003 01:08 pm, Bruce Smith wrote: > > I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the build > > directory. > > > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz > > OK, it looks good. It compiled and installed fine on my system. > I just checked it into CVS and uploaded screen-4.0.2 to FTP. > > (I also closed the feature request and subscribed at freshmeat :) Thanks - did anyone do the same for Shorewall? Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 20:30:59
|
> Thanks - did anyone do the same for Shorewall? Doesn't look like it. I'll add it. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 20:28:57
|
On December 17, 2003 12:35 pm, Bruce Smith wrote: > > > > I've attached the tarball for screen - should extract fine into the > > > > build directory. > > > > > > > > To obtain the source files, please download them from > > > > ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.1.tar.gz > > > > > > Why not screen-4.0.2.tar.gz ? (released on Dec 5th) > > > > Where do you find 4.0.2? > > I just went to ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/ > and looked at all the files. 4.0.2 was the latest. Found that too... suppose I should have looked there first :) > > > - the latest according to the website (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) > > I just looked there, and it lists 4.0.2 as the latest on my browser. > Maybe you need to force a reload and/or nuke your browser cache? > On my browser, it lists 4.0.2 in the top left hand side, but on the download page and news page, still no mention of 4.0.2. Even tried it in a different browser... > > and freshmeat is 4.0.1, although I haven't > > checked any of the other GNU mirrors. > > Yeah, freshmeat hasn't been updated yet. Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 20:30:31
|
> > > - the latest according to the website (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) > > > > I just looked there, and it lists 4.0.2 as the latest on my browser. > > Maybe you need to force a reload and/or nuke your browser cache? > > On my browser, it lists 4.0.2 in the top left hand side, but on the download > page and news page, still no mention of 4.0.2. Even tried it in a different > browser... OK, I only looked in the top left corner. I guess they haven't updated their other pages yet. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 20:36:10
|
On December 17, 2003 01:30 pm, Bruce Smith wrote: > > Thanks - did anyone do the same for Shorewall? > > Doesn't look like it. I'll add it. Thanks once again.. Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 20:48:12
|
> > > Thanks - did anyone do the same for Shorewall? > > > > Doesn't look like it. I'll add it. > > Thanks once again.. Done. I had to make a couple minor changes to avoid an abort. (mkdir said directory already existed) - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-17 20:38:32
|
On December 17, 2003 01:30 pm, Bruce Smith wrote: > > > > - the latest according to the website > > > > (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) > > > > > > I just looked there, and it lists 4.0.2 as the latest on my browser. > > > Maybe you need to force a reload and/or nuke your browser cache? > > > > On my browser, it lists 4.0.2 in the top left hand side, but on the > > download page and news page, still no mention of 4.0.2. Even tried it in > > a different browser... > > OK, I only looked in the top left corner. I guess they haven't updated > their other pages yet. and there I went, clearing caches, installing other browsers, checking from different machines... ;-) Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-17 20:45:25
|
> > > > > - the latest according to the website > > > > > (http://www.guckes.net/screen/) > > > > > > > > I just looked there, and it lists 4.0.2 as the latest on my browser. > > > > Maybe you need to force a reload and/or nuke your browser cache? > > > > > > On my browser, it lists 4.0.2 in the top left hand side, but on the > > > download page and news page, still no mention of 4.0.2. Even tried it in > > > a different browser... > > > > OK, I only looked in the top left corner. I guess they haven't updated > > their other pages yet. > > and there I went, clearing caches, installing other browsers, checking from > different machines... ;-) Did you check your proxy server too? ;-) - BS |