|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2003-12-02 13:01:25
|
On 12/02/2003 12:30:40 AM Martin Glazer wrote: >I've put together and tested the devil-linux scripts for Shorewall - a >popular >high-level tool for configuring Netfilter. Take a look at >http://www.shorewall.net. It's actually for a long time on our feature request list, so yes there's interest to include it. >Just wondered if there was any interest in including this with your >distro. I >know you already have some firewall scripts, but this is just another >option >which I personally find a bit easier to work with. It's a good alternative to the existing scripts. I personally modify anything I get anyway, but others asked about it before. Heiko |
|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2003-12-03 13:11:49
|
On 12/03/2003 02:48:55 AM Martin Glazer wrote: >Here's the scripts for shorewall. I have not included the actual package >itself, which can be found on one of the mirrors listed here >http://www.shorewall.net/download.htm > >I have tested this with shorewall 1.4.8, the latest released version >available. > >Once again, if someone could check that all is well with the scripts. I >have >tested it multiple times on my machine and all appears OK. Bruce ? Please take a closer look at the script before you check it in, since it's the first patch from him. (no offense Martin! ) Thanks Heiko |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-04 08:59:03
|
On December 3, 2003 06:10 am, hzu...@ra... wrote: > On 12/03/2003 02:48:55 AM Martin Glazer wrote: > >Here's the scripts for shorewall. I have not included the actual package > >itself, which can be found on one of the mirrors listed here > >http://www.shorewall.net/download.htm > > > >I have tested this with shorewall 1.4.8, the latest released version > >available. > > > >Once again, if someone could check that all is well with the scripts. I > >have > >tested it multiple times on my machine and all appears OK. > > Bruce ? > Please take a closer look at the script before you check it in, since it's > the first patch from him. (no offense Martin! ) None taken... I would definately expect some review, especially for a "security" distro. Also, it's my first public package for DL, so I need to know that all is OK. Martin |
|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2003-12-04 12:07:12
|
On 12/04/2003 03:58:50 AM Martin Glazer wrote: >On December 3, 2003 06:10 am, hzu...@ra... wrote: >> On 12/03/2003 02:48:55 AM Martin Glazer wrote: >> >Here's the scripts for shorewall. I have not included the actual >package >> >itself, which can be found on one of the mirrors listed here >> >http://www.shorewall.net/download.htm >> > >> >I have tested this with shorewall 1.4.8, the latest released version >> >available. >> > >> >Once again, if someone could check that all is well with the >scripts. I >> >have >> >tested it multiple times on my machine and all appears OK. >> >> Bruce ? >> Please take a closer look at the script before you check it in, since >it's >> the first patch from him. (no offense Martin! ) > >None taken... I would definately expect some review, especially for a >"security" distro. > >Also, it's my first public package for DL, so I need to know that all >is OK. I took a look at it yesterday and it looked pretty good. It would be great if you can send us a "diff" next time, we prefer this. You find it in the generated docu how to do this (I don't think it's on the website yet). Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-04 13:20:25
|
> >> >I have tested this with shorewall 1.4.8, the latest released version > >> >available. > >> > >> Bruce ? > >> Please take a closer look at the script before you check it in, since > >it's > >> the first patch from him. (no offense Martin! ) > > > >None taken... I would definately expect some review, especially for a > >"security" distro. > > > >Also, it's my first public package for DL, so I need to know that all > >is OK. > > I took a look at it yesterday and it looked pretty good. I haven't had a chance yet. Something at work has been giving me fits (and I'm not done yet). > It would be great if you can send us a "diff" next time, we prefer this. > You find it in the generated docu how to do this (I don't think it's on the > website yet). Look at the man page for "patch", it gives a good example for a recursive unified diff. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-05 05:47:49
|
On December 4, 2003 06:20 am, Bruce Smith wrote: <snip> > > It would be great if you can send us a "diff" next time, we prefer this. > > You find it in the generated docu how to do this (I don't think it's on > > the website yet). Next time, if I can figure out this diff and patch thing I will. The doc I found only talks about single file patches though. > > Look at the man page for "patch", it gives a good example for a > recursive unified diff. > I know how to do patch files for single files, but not for complete directories. Do I need to keep 2 copies of my build directories - one with my new files and the other with the standard DL cvs? or can I do a cvs diff somehow? Excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I'm not used to submitting patches. If I try using 2 build directories, this command (from the man page) appears to work... diff -Naur --exclude=tmp build build.new/ > patchfile.diff How have other contributors setup their build/development systems? Thanks Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-05 13:44:50
|
> > Look at the man page for "patch", it gives a good example for a > > recursive unified diff. > > I know how to do patch files for single files, but not for complete > directories. Do I need to keep 2 copies of my build directories - one with my > new files and the other with the standard DL cvs? or can I do a cvs diff > somehow? > > Excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I'm not used to submitting patches. > > If I try using 2 build directories, this command (from the man page) appears > to work... > diff -Naur --exclude=tmp build build.new/ > patchfile.diff The above command is the correct way to compare every file recursively in both directories. If the new directory doesn't contain all the files (you only have you changed files in it), you can remove the "N" option from diff and it won't worry about missing files. If you're only changing one or two files, you might want to do them separately and combine the two output files. i.e.: diff -u build/some/file.old build/some/file >> patchfile You can also use "cvs diff" to compare your changes to the repository. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-05 23:47:50
|
On December 5, 2003 06:44 am, Bruce Smith wrote: > > > Look at the man page for "patch", it gives a good example for a > > > recursive unified diff. > > > > I know how to do patch files for single files, but not for complete > > directories. Do I need to keep 2 copies of my build directories - one > > with my new files and the other with the standard DL cvs? or can I do a > > cvs diff somehow? > > > > Excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I'm not used to submitting > > patches. > > > > If I try using 2 build directories, this command (from the man page) > > appears to work... > > diff -Naur --exclude=tmp build build.new/ > patchfile.diff > > The above command is the correct way to compare every file recursively > in both directories. If the new directory doesn't contain all the files > (you only have you changed files in it), you can remove the "N" option > from diff and it won't worry about missing files. > > If you're only changing one or two files, you might want to do them > separately and combine the two output files. i.e.: diff -u > build/some/file.old build/some/file >> patchfile > > You can also use "cvs diff" to compare your changes to the repository. Thanks for the help - I'll give it a try next time I submit something. Would you prefer I resubmit Shorewall again but now as a patch set? Martin |
|
From: <hzu...@ra...> - 2003-12-08 12:10:52
|
On 12/05/2003 12:47:48 AM Martin Glazer wrote: >On December 4, 2003 06:20 am, Bruce Smith wrote: > ><snip> > >> > It would be great if you can send us a "diff" next time, we prefer >this. >> > You find it in the generated docu how to do this (I don't think >it's on >> > the website yet). > >Next time, if I can figure out this diff and patch thing I will. The >doc I >found only talks about single file patches though. Really ? It's easy, just add the parameter -r (or -R ?) and specify directories instead of files. >> Look at the man page for "patch", it gives a good example for a >> recursive unified diff. >> > >I know how to do patch files for single files, but not for complete >directories. Do I need to keep 2 copies of my build directories - one >with my I do it usually with 2 directories, i.e. scripts & scripts.orig >new files and the other with the standard DL cvs? or can I do a cvs diff >somehow? Never used cvs diff.... >Excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I'm not used to submitting >patches. > >If I try using 2 build directories, this command (from the man page) >appears >to work... >diff -Naur --exclude=tmp build build.new/ > patchfile.diff That should work just fine. >How have other contributors setup their build/development systems? Inside the lfssystem I usally use the path /data/build , but you can use whatever you want. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-08 13:57:19
|
> >... or can I do a cvs diff somehow? > > Never used cvs diff.... You should check it out, it's a VERY useful command. You can just "cvs diff file" and it will 'diff' the file on your hard disk against the latest CVS version of the file to see what you've changed. You can also diff your local file against a different CVS version with the "-r" parameter. "cvs diff -r 1.21 file" You can even diff two different CVS versions by specifying "-r" twice. "cvs diff -r 1.12 -r 1.13 file" Comes in very handy! I use it a lot! - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-08 22:08:19
|
On December 8, 2003 06:57 am, Bruce Smith wrote: > > >... or can I do a cvs diff somehow? > > > > Never used cvs diff.... > > You should check it out, it's a VERY useful command. > > You can just "cvs diff file" and it will 'diff' the file on your hard > disk against the latest CVS version of the file to see what you've > changed. > > You can also diff your local file against a different CVS version with > the "-r" parameter. "cvs diff -r 1.21 file" > > You can even diff two different CVS versions by specifying "-r" twice. > "cvs diff -r 1.12 -r 1.13 file" Any way of using it to diff for new files? I think I tried all options and all it told me was which files had been added, but not what had been added in the files (ie, the whole file). Doing it on an already existing file and it works great. I'm trying to create a patchfile for a new package. Martin Martin |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-09 18:45:26
|
> > > Never used cvs diff.... > > > > You should check it out, it's a VERY useful command. > > > > You can just "cvs diff file" and it will 'diff' the file on your hard > > disk against the latest CVS version of the file to see what you've > > changed. > > > > You can also diff your local file against a different CVS version with > > the "-r" parameter. "cvs diff -r 1.21 file" > > > > You can even diff two different CVS versions by specifying "-r" twice. > > "cvs diff -r 1.12 -r 1.13 file" > > Any way of using it to diff for new files? I don't think so. > I think I tried all options and all > it told me was which files had been added, but not what had been added in the > files (ie, the whole file). Doing it on an already existing file and it > works great. I'm trying to create a patchfile for a new package. I think you'll have to use the regular diff command with the -N option. BTW, you really don't have to create a patch for _new_ files as far as us developers are concerned. You can just send us the file. - BS |
|
From: Martin G. <sou...@gl...> - 2003-12-03 07:48:54
Attachments:
shorewall-dl.tgz
|
Here's the scripts for shorewall. I have not included the actual package itself, which can be found on one of the mirrors listed here http://www.shorewall.net/download.htm I have tested this with shorewall 1.4.8, the latest released version available. Once again, if someone could check that all is well with the scripts. I have tested it multiple times on my machine and all appears OK. Thanks Martin |