|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2008-05-15 18:50:36
Attachments:
initramfs.patch
|
Hello, I've implemented initramfs support for DL (only for syslinux yet). This feature is optional and breaks nothing but I'd like to have a tiny round of testing before checking in. So, volunteers are wanted! -- Serge |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2008-05-15 21:03:21
|
> I've implemented initramfs support for DL (only for syslinux yet). This feature > is optional and breaks nothing but I'd like to have a tiny round of testing > before checking in. I'm not familiar with initramfs. Explain? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2008-05-16 12:57:00
|
> >> I've implemented initramfs support for DL (only for syslinux yet). This feature > >> is optional and breaks nothing but I'd like to have a tiny round of testing > >> before checking in. > > > > I'm not familiar with initramfs. Explain? > I'm sure you are familiar ;-) because all current Linux distributions uses it. Just because someone uses something, they are not necessarily familiar with the technology. :-) I could state tons of examples of how people use technology every day, but are not familiar with the technology. Looking at my desk, I'm using a flat panel monitor and an optical mouse right now. I know how to buy them, connect them to my computer, and USE them, but I have now idea how they actually work internally. ;-) > To not confuse you my poor English, I copied the information from the wiki page: > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd Hum, I wonder if wikipedia explains how flat panel monitors and optical mice work ... Thanks! ;-) BTW, if your system boots and runs fine with initramfs, I'm OK if you check in the changes. We can work through any bugs that come up. (that's what I did with aufs! :) 1.3 is still a development release. - BS |
|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2008-05-16 16:41:41
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Just because someone uses something, they are not necessarily familiar > with the technology. :-) Yes, you are right. :-) There are a lot of habitual things about which internals I know nothing.... > I could state tons of examples of how people use technology every day, > but are not familiar with the technology. Looking at my desk, I'm using > a flat panel monitor and an optical mouse right now. I know how to buy > them, connect them to my computer, and USE them, but I have now idea how > they actually work internally. ;-) If I have a chance to invite you for several pints of beer and you still be interested in theoretical basis of LCD panel and optical mouse operation I'll be happy to share my knowledge! :-))) > BTW, if your system boots and runs fine with initramfs, I'm OK if you > check in the changes. We can work through any bugs that come up. > (that's what I did with aufs! :) 1.3 is still a development release. Certainly. My system boots correctly. The current realization is a bit more complicated than could be, but it's the result of backward compatibility with initrd. Well, if nobody has objections I'll check in the initramfs support patch. -- Serge |
|
From: Serge L. <fi...@in...> - 2008-05-16 06:34:04
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >> I've implemented initramfs support for DL (only for syslinux yet). This feature >> is optional and breaks nothing but I'd like to have a tiny round of testing >> before checking in. > > I'm not familiar with initramfs. Explain? I'm sure you are familiar ;-) because all current Linux distributions uses it. To not confuse you my poor English, I copied the information from the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd Initramfs in comparison with initrd initramfs is an alternative, simpler method of having files available at boot time without having them in a persistent mountable filesystem. With initrd, the kernel creates a memory-backed block device, loads it with data from a file, then mounts the device to create a filesystem image. With initramfs, the kernel creates a filesystem image directly from a file, without involving any block device. [2] With initrd, the file contains a filesystem in on-disk format, while with initramfs, the file contains a compressed cpio archive. That means it is more convenient for a system builder to create and modify the contents of the filesystem with initramfs. With initramfs, there is no mounting, unmounting, and loop device involved. There is no privileged system operation at all. With initramfs, the filesystem is typically a tmpfs, shmfs, or ramfs filesystem. These filesystem types did not exist when initrd became popular, and that history is usually the reason that initrd is used instead of initramfs. The boot-time operation of initrd is slightly simpler than that of initramfs. With initrd, the boot loader copies the filesystem directly from the file to the memory that backs a ramdisk, then the kernel need only define a ramdisk over that same memory and do a standard filesystem mount. With initramfs, there are equivalent steps to get the cpio archive into memory and create a filesystem image, plus an additional procedure to unpack the cpio archive into the new filesystem image. The kernel must know the cpio archive format. Some of the computation that happens at build time with initrd happens at boot time with initramfs. -- Serge |