|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-15 13:43:09
|
I have DL running with the mods for /etc/ in a UnionFS. There is an expanded /etc on the CD, the mods in /shm, joined to the real /etc directory. One odd thing I've noticed. The mods directory contains some files that have not been changed (like /etc/services and a few others). The dates are 1980, and 'diff' shows they are exactly the same as the file on the CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? - BS |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-15 15:44:57
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > I have DL running with the mods for /etc/ in a UnionFS. > > There is an expanded /etc on the CD, the mods in /shm, joined to the > real /etc directory. > > One odd thing I've noticed. The mods directory contains some files that > have not been changed (like /etc/services and a few others). The dates > are 1980, and 'diff' shows they are exactly the same as the file on the > CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-15 17:08:00
|
> > I have DL running with the mods for /etc/ in a UnionFS. > > > > There is an expanded /etc on the CD, the mods in /shm, joined to the > > real /etc directory. > > > > One odd thing I've noticed. The mods directory contains some files that > > have not been changed (like /etc/services and a few others). The dates > > are 1980, and 'diff' shows they are exactly the same as the file on the > > CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? > > Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? I'm sure I didn't load those files. I'm trying aufs now, but I haven't got it's mount to work in the boot script yet (pre_init - and yes the module is loaded). It works fine after the system is booted. - BS |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-15 18:25:19
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? >> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? > > I'm sure I didn't load those files. I knew that would be the case, but one has to ask ;-) > I'm trying aufs now, but I haven't got it's mount to work in the boot > script yet (pre_init - and yes the module is loaded). It works fine > after the system is booted. You're doing well. What's your overall impression so far? Does it actually make things easier? Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-15 18:42:13
|
> >>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? > >> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? > > > > I'm sure I didn't load those files. > > I knew that would be the case, but one has to ask ;-) I'm getting closer to figuring out where they are coming from ... (more later, hopefully) :-) > > I'm trying aufs now, but I haven't got it's mount to work in the boot > > script yet (pre_init - and yes the module is loaded). It works fine > > after the system is booted. > > You're doing well. I have it running now with /etc mounted as aufs. It needed more things available at that point in the boot process (/proc , /dev and /var/tmp) than UnionFS needed. I think I'll go with aufs since UnionFS was giving me a bunch of weird warnings. (that appears to be a common complaint) > What's your overall impression so far? Does it actually make things easier? Easier? (the upgrade to a new version script was a real pain to fix! :) I don't know about _easier_, but it sure makes the saved config tarfile a WHOLE LOT _smaller_!!!!!! :-) I plan on running a fresh/mrproper compile tonight. If all goes well, I hope to check it in tomorrow. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2008-04-16 14:27:16
|
> >>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? > >> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? > > > > I'm sure I didn't load those files. > > I knew that would be the case, but one has to ask ;-) The exact same problem exists in both UnionFS and aufs. The problem occurs after the linuxrc and pre_init scripts, (I stuck a "ls /shm/etc-mods" at the very end of pre_init, and the files weren't there at that time), so something past /sbin/init causes those files to appear in the mods. I grep'ed all the init scripts, and I can't find where most of those files are referenced at all. One guess is some binary program is opening those files RW, but not modifying them. Any other ideas? One other idea I ruled out is I thought maybe the date on the files (1/1/1980) was too close to the epoch or too far in the past, confusing the union/aufs. So I temporally modified the build script that does the touch and changed the date from 1/1/1980 to 1/1/1990, but that didn't help either. :-( BTW, there is only a few files with this problem, and it doesn't hurt anything, so I didn't hold up the release of 1.3.5 for this. Even if it never gets fixed, it's no big deal. It just bugs me ... - BS |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-16 15:49:58
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? >>>> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? >>> I'm sure I didn't load those files. > The exact same problem exists in both UnionFS and aufs. So, something to do with DL then. > The problem occurs after the linuxrc and pre_init scripts, (I stuck a > "ls /shm/etc-mods" at the very end of pre_init, and the files weren't > there at that time), so something past /sbin/init causes those files to > appear in the mods. Something's doing it. To keep that old mtime it would have to be copying and restoring them. Sort of thing tar or cpio does. They're not in initramfs and being copied back before pivot root. > I grep'ed all the init scripts, and I can't find where most of those > files are referenced at all. One guess is some binary program is > opening those files RW, but not modifying them. Any other ideas? > It just bugs me ... It would me too. Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-16 17:19:28
|
> >>>>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? > >>>> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? > >>> I'm sure I didn't load those files. > > > The exact same problem exists in both UnionFS and aufs. > > So, something to do with DL then. Appears to be the case. > > The problem occurs after the linuxrc and pre_init scripts, (I stuck a > > "ls /shm/etc-mods" at the very end of pre_init, and the files weren't > > there at that time), so something past /sbin/init causes those files to > > appear in the mods. > > Something's doing it. To keep that old mtime it would have to be copying and > restoring them. Sort of thing tar or cpio does. They're not in initramfs and > being copied back before pivot root. I can't find any commonalities between the files that are in etc-mods. All the scripts/files in etc-mods/init.d/ are there. So I'm thinking maybe they have to be there if there are symlinks to the files for some reason internal to the workings of aufs. But then again, all the files in sysconfig/nic/* are there too, including the _sample_ files! There are no links to those files, and I don't think anything would even look at those SAMPLE files during boot! And there are files in mods for postfix/* and ppp/* too! This is a fresh/copy-your-config-to-blank-floppy-boot! I'm not running postfix or ppp (or any other services with the default config). WEIRD!!! Maybe I need to join the aufs mailing list and start asking questions... - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2008-04-17 12:48:38
|
Quoting Bruce Smith <br...@ar...>: >> >>> CD, but the files are in the mods directory. Any clue why? >> >> Are you sure they weren't put there when you loaded the mods dir? >> > >> > I'm sure I didn't load those files. >> >> I knew that would be the case, but one has to ask ;-) > > The exact same problem exists in both UnionFS and aufs. > > The problem occurs after the linuxrc and pre_init scripts, (I stuck a > "ls /shm/etc-mods" at the very end of pre_init, and the files weren't > there at that time), so something past /sbin/init causes those files to > appear in the mods. > > I grep'ed all the init scripts, and I can't find where most of those > files are referenced at all. One guess is some binary program is > opening those files RW, but not modifying them. Any other ideas? > > One other idea I ruled out is I thought maybe the date on the files > (1/1/1980) was too close to the epoch or too far in the past, confusing > the union/aufs. So I temporally modified the build script that does the > touch and changed the date from 1/1/1980 to 1/1/1990, but that didn't > help either. :-( > > BTW, there is only a few files with this problem, and it doesn't hurt > anything, so I didn't hold up the release of 1.3.5 for this. Even if it > never gets fixed, it's no big deal. It just bugs me ... If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's screwing with it. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 13:04:38
|
> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, > maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's > screwing with it. You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. Do we still need to run that script at boot time? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2008-04-17 13:14:04
|
Quoting Bruce Smith <bw...@ar...>: >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's >> screwing with it. > > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? > > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. > > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of course I can't remember why... -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 13:49:43
|
> >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, > >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's > >> screwing with it. > > > > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? > > > > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. > > > > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? > > Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config > which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. > There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of > course I can't remember why... How about I rewrite the script so it only changes permissions on files that need them changed? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2008-04-17 14:14:45
|
Quoting Bruce Smith <bw...@ar...>: >> >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, >> >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's >> >> screwing with it. >> > >> > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? >> > >> > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. >> > >> > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? >> >> Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config >> which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. >> There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of >> course I can't remember why... > > How about I rewrite the script so it only changes permissions on files > that need them changed? even better -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 15:50:42
|
> >> >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, > >> >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's > >> >> screwing with it. > >> > > >> > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? > >> > > >> > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. > >> > > >> > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? > >> > >> Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config > >> which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. > >> There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of > >> course I can't remember why... > > > > How about I rewrite the script so it only changes permissions on files > > that need them changed? > > even better OK, I have that done, which causes another problem. There are a bunch of files in "permissions.base" that are on the CD, like /usr files. Is "permissions.base" used anywhere else, like during the build? Is it going to cause problems if I comment out the RO files? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 18:13:19
|
> > >> >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, > > >> >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's > > >> >> screwing with it. > > >> > > > >> > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? > > >> > > > >> > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. > > >> > > > >> > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? > > >> > > >> Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config > > >> which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. > > >> There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of > > >> course I can't remember why... > > > > > > How about I rewrite the script so it only changes permissions on files > > > that need them changed? > > > > even better > > OK, I have that done, which causes another problem. > > There are a bunch of files in "permissions.base" that are on the CD, > like /usr files. Is "permissions.base" used anywhere else, like during > the build? Is it going to cause problems if I comment out the RO files? I've done a lot of find's and grep's and I can't see where /etc/sysconfig/permissions.base is used anywhere in the build process, so I'm going to modify it and comment out the stuff on the CD. My guess is it's a file copied from some other distro a long time ago. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2008-04-17 19:06:14
|
Quoting Bruce Smith <bw...@ar...>: >> >> >> If my memory serves me right, I think we're doing a couple chmods, >> >> >> maybe some chowns during the boot process, maybe that's what's >> >> >> screwing with it. >> >> > >> >> > You mean: /etc/init.d/setfileperm ??? >> >> > >> >> > Yeah, those look like the files that are being created in etc-mods. >> >> > >> >> > Do we still need to run that script at boot time? >> >> >> >> Well we need to make sure the perms are right on the default config >> >> which comes out of our build. Then we can get rid of the script. >> >> There was a reason why I added the script in the first place, but of >> >> course I can't remember why... >> > >> > How about I rewrite the script so it only changes permissions on files >> > that need them changed? >> >> even better > > OK, I have that done, which causes another problem. > > There are a bunch of files in "permissions.base" that are on the CD, > like /usr files. Is "permissions.base" used anywhere else, like during > the build? Is it going to cause problems if I comment out the RO files? I'm really not sure about that, did you grep for it? -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 19:10:59
|
> > There are a bunch of files in "permissions.base" that are on the CD, > > like /usr files. Is "permissions.base" used anywhere else, like during > > the build? Is it going to cause problems if I comment out the RO files? > > I'm really not sure about that, did you grep for it? Yup. (see my other reply) Besides, if the build scripts used it, the permissions would be correct to start with, and we wouldn't have this problem! :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2008-04-17 19:41:17
|
Quoting Bruce Smith <bw...@ar...>: >> > There are a bunch of files in "permissions.base" that are on the CD, >> > like /usr files. Is "permissions.base" used anywhere else, like during >> > the build? Is it going to cause problems if I comment out the RO files? >> >> I'm really not sure about that, did you grep for it? > > Yup. (see my other reply) > > Besides, if the build scripts used it, the permissions would be correct > to start with, and we wouldn't have this problem! :-) I guess you got a point there. ;-) -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. |