|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-16 21:46:41
|
Bruce, I just loaded DL 1.3.5 on VirtualBox without a etc.tar.bz2. It comes up just fine. It seems we have /etc-cd /shm/etc-mods and /shm/etc My first question is what is etc-mods - is that a default etc.tar.bz2 ? If so I would expect that to be empty. It seems to contain a lot of stuff like for example services all the postfix defaults etc etc. It looks like you are copying a default etc.tar.bz2 into it. I assume that's where your mystery files are coming from. What are you intending there? I take it /shm/etc is just a mount point for the aufs - is that right? The way I envisaged it was that etc.tar.bz2 would be loaded into /shm/etc-mods if it existed (otherwise /shm/etc-mods would be empty). /etc-cd and /shm/etc-mods would be mounted aufs on /shm/etc. Any config changes in /etc would appear in /shm/etc-mods and ultimately copied to etc.tar.bz2. Dick |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-16 22:34:02
|
Dick Middleton wrote: > Bruce, > > I just loaded DL 1.3.5 on VirtualBox without a etc.tar.bz2. It comes up just fine. > > It seems we have /etc-cd /shm/etc-mods and /shm/etc > > My first question is what is etc-mods - is that a default etc.tar.bz2 ? If so I > would expect that to be empty. It seems to contain a lot of stuff like for > example services all the postfix defaults etc etc. It looks like you are > copying a default etc.tar.bz2 into it. I assume that's where your mystery files > are coming from. Sorry - just catching up. I don't understand this either! What is going on???? Something is copying the etc-cd into etc-mods. Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 01:56:42
|
>> Bruce, >> >> I just loaded DL 1.3.5 on VirtualBox without a etc.tar.bz2. It comes up just fine. >> >> It seems we have /etc-cd /shm/etc-mods and /shm/etc >> >> My first question is what is etc-mods - is that a default etc.tar.bz2 ? If so I >> would expect that to be empty. It seems to contain a lot of stuff like for >> example services all the postfix defaults etc etc. It looks like you are >> copying a default etc.tar.bz2 into it. I assume that's where your mystery files >> are coming from. >> > > Sorry - just catching up. > > I don't understand this either! What is going on???? Something is copying the > etc-cd into etc-mods. > etc-mods is brand new, so nothing is copying anything directly into that directory. Something may be copying files into /etc, which puts the aufs modifications into /shm/etc-mods. But that doesn't make sense either. Why would something copy files over top of themselves? And if they were copied, they would have a newer modification date than 1980. Something else is going on. Something that we haven't thought of yet ... - BS |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-17 09:44:06
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Something else is going on. Something that we haven't thought of yet ... :-) Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 01:49:48
|
The mount goes like this (as I recall from memory): mount -t aufs -o dirs=/shm/etc-mods:/etc-cd=ro none /shm/etc And /etc is a symlink to /shm/etc. (left over from from previous releases) I realize I could have eliminated the symlink and just mount it on /etc but I left the sym link there (seemed like a good idea at the time). Maybe in a future release. save-config now saves /shm/etc-mods since that's where the modified /etc files are stored. Also read the CHANGES file; I explain a little more there. Make sense? - BS > Bruce, > > I just loaded DL 1.3.5 on VirtualBox without a etc.tar.bz2. It comes up just fine. > > It seems we have /etc-cd /shm/etc-mods and /shm/etc > > My first question is what is etc-mods - is that a default etc.tar.bz2 ? If so I > would expect that to be empty. It seems to contain a lot of stuff like for > example services all the postfix defaults etc etc. It looks like you are > copying a default etc.tar.bz2 into it. I assume that's where your mystery files > are coming from. > > What are you intending there? > > I take it /shm/etc is just a mount point for the aufs - is that right? > > The way I envisaged it was that etc.tar.bz2 would be loaded into /shm/etc-mods > if it existed (otherwise /shm/etc-mods would be empty). > > /etc-cd and /shm/etc-mods would be mounted aufs on /shm/etc. > > Any config changes in /etc would appear in /shm/etc-mods and ultimately copied > to etc.tar.bz2. > > Dick > |
|
From: Dick M. <di...@fo...> - 2008-04-17 09:27:34
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > The mount goes like this (as I recall from memory): > mount -t aufs -o dirs=/shm/etc-mods:/etc-cd=ro none /shm/etc > > Make sense? I thought yesterday you'd done something differently. Basically I didn't understand - still don't actually. If you look in mtab the mount looks quite different. In particualer /etc-cd is mounted rr (really readonly). Is this significant? Probably not. But it is like the whole of /etc-cd is being written into etc-mods. It's baffling. I'll try to look more tonight. Dick |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2008-04-17 12:39:54
|
> > The mount goes like this (as I recall from memory): > > mount -t aufs -o dirs=/shm/etc-mods:/etc-cd=ro none /shm/etc > > > > Make sense? > > I thought yesterday you'd done something differently. Basically I > didn't understand - still don't actually. > > If you look in mtab the mount looks quite different. In particualer > /etc-cd is mounted rr (really readonly). Is this significant? Probably > not. I typed the mount yesterday from memory. A copy/paste of the actual mount being used is: mount -n -t aufs -o br:/shm/etc-mods:/etc-cd=rr none /shm/etc I tried "rr" and "ro" for /etc-cd without any difference. The docs say that "rr" is faster for volumes that cannot physically be written to, like a CD or ISO9660, so I settled on "rr". Keep in mind, that "mount.aufs" is a shell script, that tweaks the command line options, which is why /proc/mounts & mtab is different. FYI, when running UnionFS, the equivalent mount statement used was: mount -n -t unionfs -o dirs=/shm/etc-mods:/etc-cd=ro none /shm/etc > But it is like the whole of /etc-cd is being written into > etc-mods. It's baffling. It's not the whole thing. On a DL Apache / PHP / MySQL / firewall I'm running, the size difference between the saved configs is significant: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 230221 Apr 16 16:12 etc-mods.tar.bz2 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1114236 Apr 16 19:21 etc.tar.bz2 After sleeping on it, I have another theory. Which may or may not go anywhere. I'll let you know if I find anything! :-) - BS |