I have been using DVDrip (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/index.cipp) to
backup my DVDs for about 8 months now. It is a great application.
One of its great features is the ability to distribute the processing
load to different machines (like distcc). They call it "cluster mode".
The only requirement for the DL box is to have transcode installed
(http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/)
I am a serious user of DL, deploying it on business networks, but a lot
of us use it at home as well. At home, our DL boxes are laughing at the
pathetic workload they have routing traffic for a few peope. Why not
use those extra idle cycles for something useful!?! Heiko first
mentioned the DVD ripping idea, and I must admit that, at first, I
thought it was silly. Now I think that we should have the tools in DL
for DVDripping (condoning legal backups ONLY).
I have some expertise in configuring the apps to make it work, but 2
problems come to my mind:
1 - Interest: anybody else out there likes this idea?
2 - Licensing: what is the legal status of DECSS?
As always, comments, feedback is welcome.
--
Peter Frischknecht <pe...@em...>
Empowering Solutions, Inc.
|