|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 03:06:17
|
Hey, I just ran into a small problem with the upgrade of users/groups. Currently only the passwords of existing users get migrated. This can (in my case did) cause problems, when other things got changed like group memberships or home directories. Should we just go ahead and plain-dumb copy the entire lines from the passwd/shadow/group/gshadow files ? cu Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2004-01-27 01:27:44
|
Hey, does anyone have a problem with it, when I pre-select all the files in upgrade-config per default? I just upgraded my server at home and it was still too much work. ;-) cu Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-01-28 13:37:23
|
> does anyone have a problem with it, when I pre-select all the files in > upgrade-config per default? > > I just upgraded my server at home and it was still too much work. ;-) I think we should set some things by default, and not others. For example, files in /etc/init.d/ should NOT be selected by default since they are most likely updates that should not be overwritten. - BS |
|
From: Roland P. <pa...@ta...> - 2004-01-29 02:18:01
|
On Wednesday 28 January 2004 14:37, Bruce Smith wrote: > > does anyone have a problem with it, when I pre-select all the files in > > upgrade-config per default? > > > > I just upgraded my server at home and it was still too much work. ;-) > > I think we should set some things by default, and not others. > > For example, files in /etc/init.d/ should NOT be selected by default > since they are most likely updates that should not be overwritten. Maybe it's better to have the option to upgrade a complete directory recursiely and supply "/etc" as the first option Roland -- ICQ UIN 49339118 Linux Counter #88774 GPG-Key 1024D/59C6AFA6 2003-02-07 Roland Pabel <ro...@pa...> |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2004-01-29 09:28:25
|
Bruce Smith wrote on 28.01.2004 14:37 MET: >>does anyone have a problem with it, when I pre-select all the files in >>upgrade-config per default? [...] > > I think we should set some things by default, and not others. > > For example, files in /etc/init.d/ should NOT be selected by default > since they are most likely updates that should not be overwritten. But the firewall.rules file should of course be selected as that is usually the most important part on any DL, isn't it? ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2004-01-30 14:42:27
|
> >>does anyone have a problem with it, when I pre-select all the files in > >>upgrade-config per default? [...] > > > > I think we should set some things by default, and not others. > > > > For example, files in /etc/init.d/ should NOT be selected by default > > since they are most likely updates that should not be overwritten. > > But the firewall.rules file should of course be selected as > that is usually the most important part on any DL, isn't it? ;-) Yeah, more intelligence that needs to go into it. :-) - BS |
|
From: Diego T. <dt...@co...> - 2003-12-31 03:24:09
|
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:05:13PM -0500, Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > Should we just go ahead and plain-dumb copy the entire lines from the > passwd/shadow/group/gshadow files ? i usually copy the entire file when upgrading without using update-config, so maybe it could be done like that. in the other hand, if you don't upgrade any user, you'll see that something is missing when doing "ls -la" (number instead of users' name) -- -- gnupg keyfingerprint -- 48AF 5BF9 8F54 2966 64CC 2327 7CD0 DD91 B09D 5799 -- Use of a keyboard or mouse may be linked to serious injuries or disorders. Diego Torres - dtorres at anthalia dot org - Madrid / España |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 14:31:54
|
> I just ran into a small problem with the upgrade of users/groups. > Currently only the passwords of existing users get migrated. > > This can (in my case did) cause problems, when other things got changed > like group memberships or home directories. Can you be more specific on what users you are talking about? Normal users, added after installation (tom/dick/harry) should have ALL of their attributes moved including home directory, shell, etc. Users in the default passwd file (root,bin,www,mail,fax,...) only have their passwords migrated. This is because only the stock user which has rights to actually login is "root". So, why is this a problem? Did you change root's home directory or shell? Or are you using "bin" as a login user? (shame on you! :) > Should we just go ahead and plain-dumb copy the entire lines from the > passwd/shadow/group/gshadow files ? No, please give more details of what the hell you're doing, and I'll adjust accordingly. :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 15:46:23
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I just ran into a small problem with the upgrade of users/groups. >>Currently only the passwords of existing users get migrated. >> >>This can (in my case did) cause problems, when other things got changed >>like group memberships or home directories. >> >> > >Can you be more specific on what users you are talking about? > >Normal users, added after installation (tom/dick/harry) should have ALL >of their attributes moved including home directory, shell, etc. > >Users in the default passwd file (root,bin,www,mail,fax,...) only have >their passwords migrated. This is because only the stock user which has >rights to actually login is "root". So, why is this a problem? Did you >change root's home directory or shell? Or are you using "bin" as a >login user? (shame on you! :) > > No I did actually change the home directory of "ftp", since this is the user the vsftpd runs under. >>Should we just go ahead and plain-dumb copy the entire lines from the >>passwd/shadow/group/gshadow files ? >> >> > >No, please give more details of what the hell you're doing, and I'll >adjust accordingly. :-) > > I didn't do anything... :-))) As I said, for me it's only the ftp user, but I was thinking that other users could be more "creative". cu Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 16:10:21
|
> No I did actually change the home directory of "ftp", since this is the > user the vsftpd runs under. Is that where the anonymous ftp files go? If so, why don't you specify "anon_root" in /etc/vsftpd.conf instead? > As I said, for me it's only the ftp user, but I was thinking that other > users could be more "creative". Like allowing "bin" to login? :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 16:26:19
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>No I did actually change the home directory of "ftp", since this is the >>user the vsftpd runs under. >> >> > >Is that where the anonymous ftp files go? > >If so, why don't you specify "anon_root" in /etc/vsftpd.conf instead? > because I was too lazy..... OK I'll set it. >>As I said, for me it's only the ftp user, but I was thinking that other >>users could be more "creative". >> >> > >Like allowing "bin" to login? :-) > > Shut up. ;-) Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-12-31 16:37:18
|
> >Is that where the anonymous ftp files go? > > > >If so, why don't you specify "anon_root" in /etc/vsftpd.conf instead? > > > because I was too lazy..... > OK I'll set it. Works better for upgrades. :-) > >>As I said, for me it's only the ftp user, but I was thinking that other > >>users could be more "creative". > > > >Like allowing "bin" to login? :-) > > > Shut up. ;-) I can change the program to migrate the info for the stock users, but that may cause us other problems. What happens when we upgrade to a new version of a package, and the home directory for a package's user should be changed to something different? Somone migrates, changes the home directory back to the old value, and now the package doesn't work. Personally I think we should leave it as-is, but I'll change it if you want me to ... ? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 16:46:17
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>Is that where the anonymous ftp files go? >>> >>>If so, why don't you specify "anon_root" in /etc/vsftpd.conf instead? >>> >>> >>> >>because I was too lazy..... >>OK I'll set it. >> >> > >Works better for upgrades. :-) > > OK, looks also like "ftp" needs a valid homedirectory, I'll set it to /var/empty. >>>>As I said, for me it's only the ftp user, but I was thinking that other >>>>users could be more "creative". >>>> >>>> >>>Like allowing "bin" to login? :-) >>> >>> >>> >>Shut up. ;-) >> >> > >I can change the program to migrate the info for the stock users, but >that may cause us other problems. > >What happens when we upgrade to a new version of a package, and the >home directory for a package's user should be changed to something >different? Somone migrates, changes the home directory back to the >old value, and now the package doesn't work. > >Personally I think we should leave it as-is, but I'll change it if you >want me to ... ? > > OK you're right, let's leave it as it is. Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-12-31 16:49:54
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote on 31.12.2003 17:44 MET: > > OK, looks also like "ftp" needs a valid homedirectory, I'll set it to > /var/empty. Hmmm...would /var/tmp/ be a better place for such? -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-12-31 17:01:16
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote on 31.12.2003 17:44 MET: > >> >> OK, looks also like "ftp" needs a valid homedirectory, I'll set it to >> /var/empty. > > > Hmmm...would /var/tmp/ be a better place for such? > The directory needs to be read-only for the user, otherwise vsftpd won't start. Heiko |