|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-11-22 05:07:41
|
Found this package: http://www.badpenguin.org/pub/software/libhardware/ Its purpose? Well, from freshmeat: It provides functions to access information about your system hardware, to detect the hardware, and to handle kernel modules automatically. It is able to enumerate all PCI devices, enumerate all EIDE disks and CDROMs, enumerate all SCSI disks and CDROMs, enumerate all EIDE/SCSI disk partitions, and check if a detected device is supported in the Linux kernel using a custom PCI database. It can also handle USB devices. The included shell scripts 'probedisk' and 'probepart' detect disks, CDROMs, and partitions. The included 'scanmodule' utility allows you to detect devices and load their kernel modules automatically Why do I think we should include it? So that we can stop having to have people figure out which module to load for their ethernet card! Also, it will handle loading the right sound drivers - for those people who want to have sound on their Devil-Linux. Other choices? Of course - the program that Knoppix uses, whatever Red Hat uses (anaconda?), etc. Just my thought for the day. :-) Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-11-22 14:00:30
|
> Found this package: http://www.badpenguin.org/pub/software/libhardware/ > > Its purpose? Well, from freshmeat: > It provides functions to access information about your system hardware, to > detect the hardware, and to handle kernel modules automatically. It is able > to enumerate all PCI devices, enumerate all EIDE disks and CDROMs, enumerate > all SCSI disks and CDROMs, enumerate all EIDE/SCSI disk partitions, and > check if a detected device is supported in the Linux kernel using a custom > PCI database. It can also handle USB devices. The included shell scripts > 'probedisk' and 'probepart' detect disks, CDROMs, and partitions. The > included 'scanmodule' utility allows you to detect devices and load their > kernel modules automatically > > Why do I think we should include it? So that we can stop having to have > people figure out which module to load for their ethernet card! Also, it > will handle loading the right sound drivers - for those people who want to > have sound on their Devil-Linux. > > Other choices? Of course - the program that Knoppix uses, whatever Red Hat > uses (anaconda?), etc. I think we need something, but I haven't done any research to know which one would work best for us. I like the sound of "shell scripts" in this one, since out "setup" program is a shell script. Feel free to include it, as far as I'm concerned. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-11-22 15:21:24
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>Found this package: http://www.badpenguin.org/pub/software/libhardware/ >> >>Its purpose? Well, from freshmeat: >>It provides functions to access information about your system hardware, to >>detect the hardware, and to handle kernel modules automatically. It is able >>to enumerate all PCI devices, enumerate all EIDE disks and CDROMs, enumerate >>all SCSI disks and CDROMs, enumerate all EIDE/SCSI disk partitions, and >>check if a detected device is supported in the Linux kernel using a custom >>PCI database. It can also handle USB devices. The included shell scripts >>'probedisk' and 'probepart' detect disks, CDROMs, and partitions. The >>included 'scanmodule' utility allows you to detect devices and load their >>kernel modules automatically >> >>Why do I think we should include it? So that we can stop having to have >>people figure out which module to load for their ethernet card! Also, it >>will handle loading the right sound drivers - for those people who want to >>have sound on their Devil-Linux. >> >>Other choices? Of course - the program that Knoppix uses, whatever Red Hat >>uses (anaconda?), etc. >> >> > >I think we need something, but I haven't done any research to know which >one would work best for us. > > I agree, we need something. >I like the sound of "shell scripts" in this one, since out "setup" >program is a shell script. > Yes that would be important. >Feel free to include it, as far as I'm concerned. > > Volunteers? Heiko |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-11-23 00:41:59
|
>>>Found this package: http://www.badpenguin.org/pub/software/libhardware/ >>>[...] >> >>I like the sound of "shell scripts" in this one, since out "setup" >>program is a shell script. >> >Yes that would be important. > >>Feel free to include it, as far as I'm concerned. >> > >Volunteers? I could down load it and take a look - but be warned: I do not have a Devil-Linux development environment - I strictly download the ISO's. So, if this program needs anything compiled - I wouldn't be the person to check it out. Dean |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-11-24 01:42:32
|
Dean Nedelman wrote: >>>>Found this package: http://www.badpenguin.org/pub/software/libhardware/ >>>>[...] >>>> >>>> >>>I like the sound of "shell scripts" in this one, since out "setup" >>>program is a shell script. >>> >>> >>> >>Yes that would be important. >> >> >> >>>Feel free to include it, as far as I'm concerned. >>> >>> >>> >>Volunteers? >> >> > >I could down load it and take a look - but be warned: I do not have a >Devil-Linux development environment - I strictly download the ISO's. So, if >this program needs anything compiled - I wouldn't be the person to check it >out. > > I'm certain it needs to be compiled. I'll download it, too. Who knows how bored I am in my vacation. ;-) Heiko |