|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-10-20 21:05:32
|
On 10/20/2003 09:55:58 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>apache still runs as root, this needs to be fixed >> > >> >Yes, should be user and group "apache". >> > >> user and group www >> Those are already existing in DL. > >OK, most other distros use "apache", but it doesn't really matter. >I think all that is required is a couple lines in the config file: > >User www >Group www That would be to easy... >> >Should probably create a logical volume for hard drive >> >storage of the data. /var/www/ >> > >> I think that's more a problem if the administrator. > >Huh? I'm not following you (or maybe you're not following me? :) > >I'm talking about creating a LV name to store the Apache web site. >http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s04.html#d0e568 > >Do you want to reuse one of other names, like /var/data ? Yeah I thought something like /var/data/www But that would be up to the Administrator who's setting up the machine.= >Most distros store it in /var/www . Then go ahead and to it. ;-) Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-21 15:28:10
|
> >I'm talking about creating a LV name to store the Apache web site. > >http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s04.html#d0e568 > > > >Do you want to reuse one of other names, like /var/data ? > > Yeah I thought something like /var/data/www > But that would be up to the Administrator who's setting up the machine. > > >Most distros store it in /var/www . > > Then go ahead and to it. ;-) OK, please explain how the LV's work in the above URL? Aren't those names hard-coded in DL somewhere? If so, why not add another one for /var/www ? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-21 17:49:48
|
> > >I'm talking about creating a LV name to store the Apache web site. > > >http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s04.html#d0e568 > > > > > >Do you want to reuse one of other names, like /var/data ? > > > > Yeah I thought something like /var/data/www > > But that would be up to the Administrator who's setting up the machine. > > > > >Most distros store it in /var/www . > > > > Then go ahead and to it. ;-) > > OK, please explain how the LV's work in the above URL? > > Aren't those names hard-coded in DL somewhere? > If so, why not add another one for /var/www ? Never mind, I read the mountfs startup script. I thought the names must be hard-coded because not everything gets mounted under /var. Now I see that only home, opt and swap are hard-coded. Everything else goes under /var. The documentation is a little misleading, IMO ... - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-21 20:20:28
|
>> > >I'm talking about creating a LV name to store the Apache web site. >> > >http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s04.html#d0e568 >> > > >> > >Do you want to reuse one of other names, like /var/data ? >> > >> > Yeah I thought something like /var/data/www >> > But that would be up to the Administrator who's setting up the >> machine. >> > >> > >Most distros store it in /var/www . >> > >> > Then go ahead and to it. ;-) >> >> OK, please explain how the LV's work in the above URL? >> >> Aren't those names hard-coded in DL somewhere? >> If so, why not add another one for /var/www ? > > Never mind, I read the mountfs startup script. I wrote you an answer quite a while ago.... SF is really slow now. > I thought the names must be hard-coded because not everything gets > mounted under /var. Now I see that only home, opt and swap are > hard-coded. Everything else goes under /var. No, it doesn't. > The documentation is a little misleading, IMO ... There is this one little line at the begining of the script: # supported LVs dl_lvs="swap log spool squid tmp data home opt imap mail" -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-21 23:06:24
|
> I wrote you an answer quite a while ago.... > SF is really slow now. Tell me about it. SF has been really slow for the last few days. > > I thought the names must be hard-coded because not everything gets > > mounted under /var. Now I see that only home, opt and swap are > > hard-coded. Everything else goes under /var. > > No, it doesn't. > > > The documentation is a little misleading, IMO ... > > There is this one little line at the begining of the script: > # supported LVs > dl_lvs="swap log spool squid tmp data home opt imap mail" OK, I missed that. I see you added a bug tracker. How do you think it should work? Like I said, where everything else (except home/opt/swap) gets mounted under /var? I'd also like to see an easy way to mount all of /var under a single partition. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-22 07:09:26
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I wrote you an answer quite a while ago.... >>SF is really slow now. >> >> > >Tell me about it. SF has been really slow for the last few days. > > > >>>I thought the names must be hard-coded because not everything gets >>>mounted under /var. Now I see that only home, opt and swap are >>>hard-coded. Everything else goes under /var. >>> >>> >>No, it doesn't. >> >> >> >>>The documentation is a little misleading, IMO ... >>> >>> >>There is this one little line at the begining of the script: >># supported LVs >>dl_lvs="swap log spool squid tmp data home opt imap mail" >> >> > >OK, I missed that. > >I see you added a bug tracker. >How do you think it should work? > >Like I said, where everything else (except home/opt/swap) >gets mounted under /var? > > Yes that's what I was looking for >I'd also like to see an easy way to mount all of /var >under a single partition. > > That easy, just create one LV named "var" and handle it the same way as home or opt . cya Heiko |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-21 20:40:08
|
>> >I'm talking about creating a LV name to store the Apache web site. >> >http://www.devil-linux.org/newdoc/ch01s04.html#d0e568 >> > >> >Do you want to reuse one of other names, like /var/data ? >> >> Yeah I thought something like /var/data/www >> But that would be up to the Administrator who's setting up the machine. >> >> >Most distros store it in /var/www . >> >> Then go ahead and to it. ;-) > > OK, please explain how the LV's work in the above URL? > > Aren't those names hard-coded in DL somewhere? > If so, why not add another one for /var/www ? Yes you're right, it's hardcoded in /etc/init.d/mountfs . That's actually a good point, we should make this dynamic in 1.1. -- Regards Heiko Zuerker http://www.devil-linux.org |