|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-11 16:19:21
|
I've found one thing that is a pain, upgrading to a new version CD, plus also upgrading the configuration. If you don't upgrade the config, you are potentially missing new updates in scripts in the /etc/init.d directory and other places. If you DO upgrade your config, it's a pain copying over all your customized configuration files (or recreating them). I've been thinking of writing a script to ease this pain. It can compare your old config to a new config, and ask you one file at a time if it should be upgraded or not. Then create a updated etc.tar.bz2. Thoughts? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-10-11 16:31:25
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >I've found one thing that is a pain, upgrading to a new version CD, >plus also upgrading the configuration. > >If you don't upgrade the config, you are potentially missing new updates >in scripts in the /etc/init.d directory and other places. > >If you DO upgrade your config, it's a pain copying over all your >customized configuration files (or recreating them). > >I've been thinking of writing a script to ease this pain. It can >compare your old config to a new config, and ask you one file at a time >if it should be upgraded or not. Then create a updated etc.tar.bz2. > >Thoughts? > > Check if the file date is "Jan 1 1980", then it's an unmodified file. I would be very happy if you would get an update script working ! cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-13 19:43:39
|
> >I've found one thing that is a pain, upgrading to a new version CD, > >plus also upgrading the configuration. > ... > Check if the file date is "Jan 1 1980", then it's an unmodified file. I played it safe and compared each individual file. > I would be very happy if you would get an update script working ! It seems to working on my system (not uploaded yet). Basically it untars the old etc file and the new etc file into different subdirectories, compares every file in old to new, gives you a list of which file(s) changed and asks which file(s) you'd like to copy to the new directory. Then it tars up a new etc config file. I really hated the thought of having to answer y/n for potentially dozens of files to copy over to the new config (like the old kernel "make config"), so I wrote it using "dialog", like the setup program. This lets you scroll back & forth though the list of changed files and check which file(s) to copy. Plus if you press the HELP button on a particular modified file, it does a "ls -l" on both old/new files, then does a "diff -u" on them, and then does a "less" on both files. The disadvantage is you need "dialog" installed on your desktop. Do you have a problem with that? Most distro's come with dialog (at least Redhat has come with it for quite a few releases), or the user can always download and install the dialog package ... - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-10-13 19:51:22
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > > It seems to working on my system (not uploaded yet). > > Basically it untars the old etc file and the new etc file into different > subdirectories, compares every file in old to new, gives you a list of > which file(s) changed and asks which file(s) you'd like to copy to the > new directory. Then it tars up a new etc config file. > > I really hated the thought of having to answer y/n for potentially > dozens of files to copy over to the new config (like the old kernel > "make config"), so I wrote it using "dialog", like the setup program. > > This lets you scroll back & forth though the list of changed files and > check which file(s) to copy. Plus if you press the HELP button on a > particular modified file, it does a "ls -l" on both old/new files, then > does a "diff -u" on them, and then does a "less" on both files. > > The disadvantage is you need "dialog" installed on your desktop. Do you > have a problem with that? Most distro's come with dialog (at least > Redhat has come with it for quite a few releases), or the user can > always download and install the dialog package ... Just a thought....so don't kill me rightaway ;-) What if Devil-Linux, during boot, checks the Version Number in the config file and if it's to old prompts you to update the config by running your script? Or at least if we had a check for the version in there the user would at least get prompted (or just a sleep 300 to be safe) that he's runnning an old config. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-10-13 20:00:43
|
> Just a thought....so don't kill me rightaway ;-) > > What if Devil-Linux, during boot, checks the Version Number in the > config file and if it's to old prompts you to update the config by > running your script? I'll look into that. > Or at least if we had a check for the version in there the user > would at least get prompted (or just a sleep 300 to be safe) that > he's runnning an old config. I made that change a long time ago! :-) It displays a red (or yellow - forget) warning and sleeps for 60 seconds (I think) instead of 300 if the versions differ. - BS |