|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-02 19:08:36
|
On 09/02/2003 02:45:19 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> > Three weeks from today, I'm giving a presentation on DL to my loca= l >> > Linux Users Group. http://kalamazoolinux.org/ >> >> Cool ! > >If YOU want to give a talk sometime, I'll ask the LUG officers about >picking up your expenses. I'm being serious. (for a change :) Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really a good presenter. Especially n= ot in front of a lot of people. >Last month we purchased a round trip plane ticket from Boston to fly i= n >a Ximian developer, who gave us a very good presentation! Just this >summer we've had three big names come in from out of town to present t= o >our group (Ximian, SuSE, and IBM). With more coming soon (Novell). Cool ! >> > My main objective is to convince some of the floppyfw/ipcop/... >users in >> > the audience to try DL. My plan is to show how easy it is to setu= p >a >> > basic DL firewall with minimal hardware and the new setup script. >> >> We should finish some functionality by then (e.g. USB boot), to >impress >> them even more. > >I'll have to see if I have any hardware that supports USB booting. > >Any idea if I boot from USB in VMware-4 (for the demo)? Check if you see this in the BIOS-Setup of VMWare. If you can't make it show up in the boot order (before probably needs t= o be enabled somewhere else), it most likely won't be supported. >> > Another good selling point is the vast range of software included >in the >> > distribution. Is there a list somewhere of the included packages i= n >the >> > new release? Something like >http://www.devil-linux.org/introduction.htm >> > would be great! Has it been written yet? >> >> Nothing so far. >> I was thinking if it would make sence, to export the descriptions fr= om >> "make menuconfig". Most of the needed information is included, we >could >> also add this file to CD *and* our website. > >I'd prefer a one line per software summary like we have now. >Some of the help files are too verbose for this (IMO). > >Plus, we might miss some software that is not selectable in menuconfig= . > >Maybe we should start with a "ls -1 src/", and add a little descriptio= n >to each line? (and delete the base/extra stuff) It would be a start. I would like to see that stuff automated as much as possible, otherwise= it's just getting outdated again. >> You mentioned a good point, we should start creating the updated >> website. > >Yes. > >> We could think about including it in the documentation, it >> would be easy to include the file I mentioned before. > >Yes, whatever file we come up with should be included there. > >> > Any other suggestions of what to demonstrate would be appreciated.= >> >> I'll try to think about it, we could think about a phone conference = or >> chat this evening. > >I can't tonight (LUG meeting), but I'm free the rest of this week >(I think). I guess tomorrow sounds good. cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-02 19:47:00
|
On 09/02/2003 03:24:09 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >If YOU want to give a talk sometime, I'll ask the LUG officers abou= t >> >picking up your expenses. I'm being serious. (for a change :) >> >> Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really a good presenter. Especiall= y >not >> in front of a lot of people. > >OK, no problem. > >Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer >(slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who might >help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That's = if >someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a try= , >along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. Let's do it together, you're english is better then mine. ;-) >> >I'll have to see if I have any hardware that supports USB booting. >> > >> >Any idea if I boot from USB in VMware-4 (for the demo)? >> >> Check if you see this in the BIOS-Setup of VMWare. >> If you can't make it show up in the boot order (before probably need= s >to be >> enabled somewhere else), it most likely won't be supported. > >Not looking good. I only see CD, HDD, and Floppy. When we get it working, you still can mention it. >> >Maybe we should start with a "ls -1 src/", and add a little >description >> >to each line? (and delete the base/extra stuff) >> >> It would be a start. >> I would like to see that stuff automated as much as possible, >otherwise >> it's just getting outdated again. > >True. Speaking of menuconfig, someone (not me!) has been adding >packages without the corresponding help files... :-) *look around* Who? >> >> > Any other suggestions of what to demonstrate would be >appreciated. >> >> >> >> I'll try to think about it, we could think about a phone >conference or >> >> chat this evening. >> > >> >I can't tonight (LUG meeting), but I'm free the rest of this week >> >(I think). >> >> I guess tomorrow sounds good. > >OK, do you want to do something like AIM/ICQ, or a real phone call? I don't care. I don't have AIM/ICQ installed. How bad is your dialect ? cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 20:07:50
|
> >Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer > >(slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who might > >help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That's if > >someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a try, > >along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. > > Let's do it together, you're english is better then mine. ;-) OK. > >Not looking good. I only see CD, HDD, and Floppy. > > When we get it working, you still can mention it. Absolutely! > >True. Speaking of menuconfig, someone (not me!) has been adding > >packages without the corresponding help files... :-) > > *look around* > Who? I thought I saw one come across awhile back when I was updating from CVS, but I don't remember which one, and can't find it now. Maybe the help was added at a different time. I should have said something at the time. > >OK, do you want to do something like AIM/ICQ, or a real phone call? > > I don't care. I don't have AIM/ICQ installed. Either one is fairly easy to install and get working. Or if you have something else installed, I can try it here. > How bad is your dialect ? Well, I don't have the "southern" drawl you may be used to hearing. :-) And I sometimes have a hard time understanding people with an accent of any kind. (I had a aunt who was native N. Carolina, and I couldn't understand a word she said! :) - BS |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-09-02 20:09:24
|
>> >>Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer >>(slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who might >>help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That's if >>someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a try, >>along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. > >Let's do it together, you're english is better then mine. ;-) > If you want, I can probably do this. I have written several technology white papers before. I would just need to know about how long you would want it, and if there were any features you wanted highlighted. (For example, I would not be the person to talk about the OpenMOSIX.) Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 20:54:10
|
> >>Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer > >>(slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who might > >>help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That's if > >>someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a try, > >>along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. > > > >Let's do it together, you're english is better then mine. ;-) > > If you want, I can probably do this. I have written several technology > white papers before. I would just need to know about how long you would > want it, and if there were any features you wanted highlighted. (For > example, I would not be the person to talk about the OpenMOSIX.) Cool. Between the three of us, we should be able to come up with something good. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-02 20:31:22
|
On 09/02/2003 04:07:47 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >True. Speaking of menuconfig, someone (not me!) has been adding >> >packages without the corresponding help files... :-) >> >> *look around* >> Who? > >I thought I saw one come across awhile back when I was updating from >CVS, but I don't remember which one, and can't find it now. Maybe the= >help was added at a different time. I should have said something at t= he >time. Could have been me.... >> >OK, do you want to do something like AIM/ICQ, or a real phone call?= >> >> I don't care. I don't have AIM/ICQ installed. > >Either one is fairly easy to install and get working. >Or if you have something else installed, I can try it here. I have nothing else, I stay away from those client. You get nothing done when you're online. >> How bad is your dialect ? > >Well, I don't have the "southern" drawl you may be used to hearing. :-= ) OK, then phone is an option, too. >And I sometimes have a hard time understanding people with an accent o= f >any kind. (I had a aunt who was native N. Carolina, and I couldn't >understand a word she said! :) I know exactly what you're talking about. ;-) Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 20:59:43
|
> >> >OK, do you want to do something like AIM/ICQ, or a real phone call? > >> > >> I don't care. I don't have AIM/ICQ installed. > > > >Either one is fairly easy to install and get working. > >Or if you have something else installed, I can try it here. > > I have nothing else, I stay away from those client. > You get nothing done when you're online. I don't run them very often, but occasionally they come in real handy for stuff like this. > >> How bad is your dialect ? > > > >Well, I don't have the "southern" drawl you may be used to hearing. :-) > > OK, then phone is an option, too. Assuming YOU haven't picked up that accent by living there. :-) I get free night (after 9PM) and weekend minutes & long distance on my cell phone. Other than that, charges apply on my phones. (unless I was to stay late and call at 5:00PM from work :) - BS |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-09-02 21:21:13
|
>I get free night (after 9PM) and weekend minutes & long distance on my >cell phone. Other than that, charges apply on my phones. (unless I was >to stay late and call at 5:00PM from work :) Just to through in my two cents, there are some free products available that would let you do a point-to-point voice call over the Internet: http://www.sippstar.com/en/index.html http://www.xten.com/ http://www.sjlabs.com Not that it impacts me per se, but I thought I would mention in. Dean |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 22:13:55
|
> Just to through in my two cents, there are some free products available that > would let you do a point-to-point voice call over the Internet: > > http://www.sippstar.com/en/index.html > > http://www.xten.com/ > > http://www.sjlabs.com Good idea, Thanks! I haven't tried those, but I've had pretty good luck with this GPL one on Linux & Windows: (although I haven't used it for some time) http://www.speakfreely.org/ - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-09-02 20:33:27
|
On 09/02/2003 04:08:48 PM "Dean Nedelman" wrote: >>> >>>Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer= >>>(slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who migh= t >>>help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That'= s >if >>>someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a >try, >>>along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. >> >>Let's do it together, you're english is better then mine. ;-) >> > >If you want, I can probably do this. I have written several technolog= y >white papers before. I would just need to know about how long you wou= ld >want it, and if there were any features you wanted highlighted. (For >example, I would not be the person to talk about the OpenMOSIX.) Now it gets even better. Why don't you 2 write that thing and I answer all the questions you hav= e. Then I can concentrate my time more on developing stuff, just add me as= a co-author. ;-) cya Heiko = |
|
From: Dean N. <di...@ti...> - 2003-09-03 01:34:52
|
>> >>If you want, I can probably do this. I have written several technology >>white papers before. I would just need to know about how long you would >>want it, and if there were any features you wanted highlighted. (For >>example, I would not be the person to talk about the OpenMOSIX.) > >Now it gets even better. >Why don't you 2 write that thing and I answer all the questions you have. >Then I can concentrate my time more on developing stuff, just add me as a >co-author. ;-) I could think of several different types of articles: o An "announcement" of DL 1.0, what it is, and what has changed since the 0.5 release. This would be a 10,000 foot view of DL. o An installation writeup describing a basic two nic, NAT, DHCP, Firewall setup (using Bruce's scripts, of course!). o A DL advocacy paper, describing the problem it solves and why people should use it. These are all different types of articles - and I see all three of these types all the time. Which would does everybody think we should use? Also, I am comfortable using two different writing styles - a standard serious style, or a lighter style which might include comments like "Its a home firewall! Its a Business firewall! No, wait - its two, two firewalls in one!". Any objection to the later style? Dean Nedelman TimeLord Consulting |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-03 01:50:29
|
Dean Nedelman wrote: >>>If you want, I can probably do this. I have written several technology >>>white papers before. I would just need to know about how long you would >>>want it, and if there were any features you wanted highlighted. (For >>>example, I would not be the person to talk about the OpenMOSIX.) >> >>Now it gets even better. >>Why don't you 2 write that thing and I answer all the questions you have. >>Then I can concentrate my time more on developing stuff, just add me as a >>co-author. ;-) > > > I could think of several different types of articles: > > o An "announcement" of DL 1.0, what it is, and what has changed since the > 0.5 release. This would be a 10,000 foot view of DL. > > o An installation writeup describing a basic two nic, NAT, DHCP, Firewall > setup (using Bruce's scripts, of course!). > > o A DL advocacy paper, describing the problem it solves and why people > should use it. > > These are all different types of articles - and I see all three of these > types all the time. Which would does everybody think we should use? I think the first 2 are necessary, the third one would be very good on our website. > Also, I am comfortable using two different writing styles - a standard > serious style, or a lighter style which might include comments like "Its a > home firewall! Its a Business firewall! No, wait - its two, two firewalls > in one!". Any objection to the later style? I personally prefer the last style. For one thing it doesn't get boring and DL is our hobby. We just need to make clear, that we offer a "serious product". cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 19:24:12
|
> >If YOU want to give a talk sometime, I'll ask the LUG officers about > >picking up your expenses. I'm being serious. (for a change :) > > Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really a good presenter. Especially not > in front of a lot of people. OK, no problem. Along the line of promoting the new release, I know a OSDN developer (slashdot.com, newsforge.com, linux.com, ...) from our LUG, who might help me get an article posted when the new release comes out. That's if someone was to write such an article. I'd be willing to give it a try, along with your help. Unless you wanted to write it. > >I'll have to see if I have any hardware that supports USB booting. > > > >Any idea if I boot from USB in VMware-4 (for the demo)? > > Check if you see this in the BIOS-Setup of VMWare. > If you can't make it show up in the boot order (before probably needs to be > enabled somewhere else), it most likely won't be supported. Not looking good. I only see CD, HDD, and Floppy. > >Maybe we should start with a "ls -1 src/", and add a little description > >to each line? (and delete the base/extra stuff) > > It would be a start. > I would like to see that stuff automated as much as possible, otherwise > it's just getting outdated again. True. Speaking of menuconfig, someone (not me!) has been adding packages without the corresponding help files... :-) > >> > Any other suggestions of what to demonstrate would be appreciated. > >> > >> I'll try to think about it, we could think about a phone conference or > >> chat this evening. > > > >I can't tonight (LUG meeting), but I'm free the rest of this week > >(I think). > > I guess tomorrow sounds good. OK, do you want to do something like AIM/ICQ, or a real phone call? - BS |