|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-27 15:07:07
|
On 08/27/2003 08:26:54 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> > It would be easy to hack the linuxrc startup script, and say if >> > /cdrom/config/etc-static.tar.gz2 exists, then completely ignore th= e >> > floppy and USB devices, and ONLY untar the static etc file from CD= . >> >> I like this idea, too. >> It will work only with IDE CD-ROMs . > >Good point. > >Speaking of CD drives, I installed the latest DL on a PC with a SCSI C= D >drive for the first time yesterday. I started out with a blank floppy= . >It booted, ask if I wanted to copy the config to floppy (I said "y"), >and it ask if I wanted to probe for SCSI controllers. Again I said "y= ". >And ... PUKE! :-) It couldn't find any SCSI modules. > >Are any SCSI modules available to the boot script at that time now? >Or have they all been removed to save memory? Or have they moved? > >If they've been removed, we might as well remove the code (and questio= n) >for probing for SCSI. All the SCSI modules should be there. >> I would do it this way: check if conventional config media is >available, >> if not, check if we find a IDE CD-ROM with the config on it, if not,= >> *BEEP* BEEP* BEEP* Please insert blablabla > >I can't decide if it'd be best to check for media on CD or media first= . >They both have their advantages. Just implement one, you can switch it later if you don't like it. That's just a bit cut'n'paste. >> > How hard would it be to write a script that would read a DL CD (or= >ISO), >> > replace one file on it, and write a new ISO image? This script >would >> > need to run in a normal Linux distribution (Redhat/SuSE/...), not >from >> > the chroot development environment. >> >> I don't think that will be too hard, we (actually you) just need to >play >> around with the mkisofs/cdrecord tools. You also need to define a >> minimum version of the tool. > >I took a quick look at the build-iso script, and it shouldn't be too >hard to write such a script. Yeah, even you should understand it. *lol* (sorry, couldn't resist). cya Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-28 19:47:15
|
On 08/28/2003 03:01:15 PM Bruce Smith wrote: >> Yeah, even you should understand it. *lol* >> (sorry, couldn't resist). > >It's sure nice to have the develop list working again. >I don't have to wait so long for the insults! ;-) Yeah, isn't that great ? *lol* = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-08-29 13:52:50
|
On 08/29/2003 09:40:31 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> I fixed some of the problems with the SCSI detection, but it's not >> completely fixed. >> The script has problems with the creation of the file >> /dev/shm/.probed_modules > >Should be: /shm/.probed_modules (without the /dev) Aaargh. It had to be something easy. >> Unfortunately I don't have more time to look into this and I'm away >this >> weekend. But I'm confident that Bruce can fix it. ;-) > >All fixed! :-) cool cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-08-28 19:01:24
|
> Yeah, even you should understand it. *lol* > (sorry, couldn't resist). It's sure nice to have the develop list working again. I don't have to wait so long for the insults! ;-) - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 01:34:04
|
> >> I would do it this way: check if conventional config media is > >> available, > >> if not, check if we find a IDE CD-ROM with the config on it, if not, > >> *BEEP* BEEP* BEEP* Please insert blablabla > > > >I can't decide if it'd be best to check for media on CD or media first. > >They both have their advantages. > > Just implement one, you can switch it later if you don't like it. > That's just a bit cut'n'paste. I uploaded changes on Friday that checks the floppy/USB media if none is found then it checks (and uses) the etc.tar.bz2 in the root directory of the CDROM (if there). If it finds _blank_ media (instead of _no_ media), it still asks to copy a default config to it. I also have a script that will replace/add file(s) on an existing CDROM/ISO. Where should I put that script? It doesn't run under DL, but needs to run under a normal distro with mkisofs and a lot of free hard drive space. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 13:00:43
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>I would do it this way: check if conventional config media is >>>>available, >>>>if not, check if we find a IDE CD-ROM with the config on it, if not, >>>>*BEEP* BEEP* BEEP* Please insert blablabla >>> >>>I can't decide if it'd be best to check for media on CD or media first. >>>They both have their advantages. >> >>Just implement one, you can switch it later if you don't like it. >>That's just a bit cut'n'paste. > > > I uploaded changes on Friday that checks the floppy/USB media > if none is found then it checks (and uses) the etc.tar.bz2 in > the root directory of the CDROM (if there). > > If it finds _blank_ media (instead of _no_ media), it still > asks to copy a default config to it. > > I also have a script that will replace/add file(s) on an > existing CDROM/ISO. Where should I put that script? > It doesn't run under DL, but needs to run under a normal > distro with mkisofs and a lot of free hard drive space. My suggestion: Put it in build/scripts/scripts "make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file (i.e. scripts). Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 13:11:17
|
> > I also have a script that will replace/add file(s) on an > > existing CDROM/ISO. Where should I put that script? > > It doesn't run under DL, but needs to run under a normal > > distro with mkisofs and a lot of free hard drive space. > > My suggestion: > Put it in build/scripts/scripts OK > "make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file > (i.e. scripts). Tar file? The etc.tar.bz2? That seems like a waste of memory, since it can't be run in DL. How about I put it somewhere under the /cdrom/config/ directory? Also easier for someone to run it under their normal distro (not having to untar the etc file). I probably should write some instructions for it too ... :-) - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 13:30:30
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>"make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file >>(i.e. scripts). > > > Tar file? The etc.tar.bz2? That seems like a waste of memory, > since it can't be run in DL. No, I meant: devil-linux-0.6Beta1-2003-08-23-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 > How about I put it somewhere under the /cdrom/config/ directory? > Also easier for someone to run it under their normal distro > (not having to untar the etc file). > > I probably should write some instructions for it too ... :-) Would be nice. You should add it to our documentation. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 13:39:33
|
> >>"make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file > >>(i.e. scripts). > > > > Tar file? The etc.tar.bz2? That seems like a waste of memory, > > since it can't be run in DL. > > No, I meant: devil-linux-0.6Beta1-2003-08-23-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 Ah OK. The "make dist" tar file. I see now! :-) > > How about I put it somewhere under the /cdrom/config/ directory? > > Also easier for someone to run it under their normal distro > > (not having to untar the etc file). > > > > I probably should write some instructions for it too ... :-) > > Would be nice. > You should add it to our documentation. I never touched that before. Care to point me to the right directory? - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-09-02 14:05:33
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>"make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file >>>>(i.e. scripts). >>> >>>Tar file? The etc.tar.bz2? That seems like a waste of memory, >>>since it can't be run in DL. >> >>No, I meant: devil-linux-0.6Beta1-2003-08-23-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 > > > Ah OK. The "make dist" tar file. I see now! :-) > > >>>How about I put it somewhere under the /cdrom/config/ directory? >>>Also easier for someone to run it under their normal distro >>>(not having to untar the etc file). >>> >>>I probably should write some instructions for it too ... :-) >> >>Would be nice. >>You should add it to our documentation. > > > I never touched that before. Care to point me to the right directory? First off all you need the Morphon XML Editor (www.morphon.com) which is free (now). Then you find the files in build/docs/documentation. The only file you need to edit is documentation.xml . It takes a little bit to get used to it, but then it's easy. Just take a look how I structured it. You can create the html documentation with the file build/docs/documentation/htmldoc cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-09-02 18:26:47
|
> >>>>"make dist" should put it into a separate directory in the tar-file > >>>>(i.e. scripts). > >>> > >>>Tar file? The etc.tar.bz2? That seems like a waste of memory, > >>>since it can't be run in DL. > >> > >>No, I meant: devil-linux-0.6Beta1-2003-08-23-i586-SMP.tar.bz2 I added the new "custom-cd" in scripts/scripts/ and installed it in the "make dist". I also put it on the CDROM in the (new) /config/scripts/ directory. > >>>I probably should write some instructions for it too ... :-) > >> > >>Would be nice. > >>You should add it to our documentation. > > > > I never touched that before. Care to point me to the right directory? > > First off all you need the Morphon XML Editor (www.morphon.com) which is > free (now). > Then you find the files in build/docs/documentation. The only file you > need to edit is documentation.xml . > It takes a little bit to get used to it, but then it's easy. Just take a > look how I structured it. > > You can create the html documentation with the file > build/docs/documentation/htmldoc I'll take a look at that documentation when I get a little more time. Right now, I commented the beginning of the script. Hopefully it makes sense ... I created a new ISO image, adding a etc.tar.bz2 file in the root directory of the CDROM. It boots fine in VMware 4 with the floppy and USB options turned off. - BS |