On 08/26/2003 08:42:19 AM Bruce Smith wrote:
>Back when I saw Heiko created another file: /cdrom/config/var.tar.bz2=
>I "ass-umed" that we were going to tar up /var along with /etc, save i=
t
>to media, and restore them both upon boot.
>
>But I was wrong. Why would we ever need to save /var? All it has is
>log files, run files, and stuff we don't need to save between reboots.=
>
>That's until I decided to create a crontab to modify my iptables
>rules at different times of the day. :-) Guess what? Yup!
>The crontabs are kept in: /var/spool/cron/tabs/
>All crontabs are lost after a reboot.
>
>Do I need to create a custom boot script that recreates the crontab fr=
om
>scratch on every boot? Or should we save some of the /var files in
>etc.tar.bz2 or var.tar.bz2? Or should we sym-link /var/spool/cron to
>/etc so they get saved? (or none of the above? :)
>
>And, are there other files in /var worth saving? ...
There's an easier solution: use /etc/crontab
We probably should mention this in the documentaiton....
cya
Heiko
=
|