|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-17 15:18:58
|
On 07/17/2003 10:15:36 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> >Maybe you should start fresh because you're NOT seeing the problem?= >:-) >> >> OK, I'll wipe out everything on my test machine and try it out later= >today. > >Update from CVS first, and you won't see the problem either way! :-) Then I just skip this step. ;-) >> >Now maybe I can quit spinning my wheels on this issue and do some >real >> >DL development! :-) >> >> Yeah do some work, lazy ass. ;-) > >No doubt! :-) I need a faster machine ... a mrproper compile takes= >5-6 hours on both of my boxes, a make clean install takes over 1/2 hou= r. > >I ran them with the "time" command last night, and was surprised to se= e >that my 1.4Ghz Athlon compiled about 5 minutes FASTER than my 1.7Ghz P= 4. > >I wonder how long a 3Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading would take to compile? :-= ) Good question. My fastest box is a AMD 1.5 (or 1800+). cya Heiko P.S. time for lunch, I'm hungry = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-17 17:29:00
|
On 07/17/2003 11:43:52 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >My 1.4 Athlon has 512MB, my 1.7 P4 has 1GB of memory. > >Did I mention the Athlon compiled everything 5 minutes faster? :-) It did? Fascinating .... And yes, you did mention it. ;-) Heiko = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-18 12:10:34
|
you got too much money... ;-) Heiko On 07/17/2003 09:10:05 PM Emmanuel ESCARABAJAL wrote: >Bruce Smith wrote: > >Here it is ... > >MB : P4P800 deluxe (865PE) with PAT enabled >CPU : PIV 2.6 ht fsb 800 o/c : 10 % in bios settings ! >RAM : 2x512 crucial PC 3200 dual channel >HD contr. : Tekram DC390 U2W (53c895) >HDD : >- / type ext3 on a SEAGATE 318203LC (Cheetah 18 LP 18 Go U2W SCA 10000= >rpm 5.4 ms ) >- /usr & /var type ext3 on a SEAGATE 39102LW ( Cheetah 9LP 9 Go U2W >10000 rpm 5.4 ms ) >- /home/dl type ext2 ( the work disk ) on a IBM DRVS09D (Ultrastar 9 L= ZX >U2W SCA 10000 rpm 5.3 ms ) >2 swap part on both 9 Go Disks > >host operating system : SuSE 8.2 with official smp kernel >(k_smp-2.4.20-95) > >I only modified the number of compile threads to 2 from your .config >file > >... and the time is ... > >1h 18 m 14 s > >I upgraded the MB, CPU and ram for 600=80 last month > >with my PIII 800 EB @ 880 /256 Mb SDRam on MSI 6321 (694D Pro), my >config took 5h +, with the new one (with same system,disks ...) it too= k >2h with UP kernel and 1h48 with SMP kernel and 2 compile threads (ht >copile 11% faster) > >didn't try with 3 compile threads but as HT is a fake SMP, i believe i= t >will be longer as 2 ... > >I think this Mobo is good and easy to setup but other manufacturers >offer best bundles for the price (round ide cables, every brackets for= >usb2 and 1394 ... which are optional with Asus Deluxe !!!) and very >similar perfs ... > >Hope it help you to decide or not > >Cya > >MaNU > > >>>>I wonder how long a 3Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading would take to compile?= >:-) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>Send me your .config and I'll tell you on a P4 ht 2.6/800 >>> >>> >> >>It's attached. I think it's the same one Heiko posted last week. >> >>You might want to go into make menuconfig, Build System Configuration= , >>and increase the Parallel Build Jobs number to take advantage of your= >>hyperthreading. >> >>I'll be very interested in your result, to help me determine if I >should >>upgrade. Thanks!!! >> >> >> >>>... but you must consider the efficiency of your hd sub-system (udma= , >>>u2w scsi , 7200 rpm, 10000 rpm ...) >>>before making any comparisson as it is intensive with disk I/O ... >>> >>> >> >>Understood. My Athlon has a 3ware SCSI-to-IDE controller with 7200 R= PM >>disks. My 1.7 P4 has an Adaptec SCSI controller with 7200 RPM disks.= >> >> >> >>> amount of ram should influence too >>> >>> >> >>My 1.4 Athlon has 512MB, my 1.7 P4 has 1GB of memory. >> >>Did I mention the Athlon compiled everything 5 minutes faster? :-) >> >> - BS >> >> >> >> >> > > > > >------------------------------------------------------- >This SF.net email is sponsored by: VM Ware >With VMware you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine= . >WITHOUT REBOOTING! Mix Linux / Windows / Novell virtual machines at th= e >same time. Free trial click here: http://www.vmware.com/wl/offer/345/0= >_______________________________________________ >Devil-linux-develop mailing list >Dev...@li... >https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop = |
|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-07-18 14:49:13
|
On 07/18/2003 09:53:40 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >> 1h 18 m 14 s > >WOW! What ???? I need money, lot's of money.... cya Heiko = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-15 18:14:57
|
> >I noticed I was getting "(none)" as my hostname on my latest ISO. > >The links in /etc/init.d/rc?.d/* are mostly empty, except for two. > >Here is a partial "tar tvjf /cdrom/config/etc.tar.bz2" : > > It worked for me yesterday. > Can you try a "make clean install iso dist" , this sometimes helps. > I don't think you need a "make mproper". This is after immediately running "make clean install iso" (no "dist"). I also changed the cipe & dialog scripts to copy binaries to $CDDIR. Doesn't seem like that would cause this problem, would it? - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-15 18:19:04
|
> > >The links in /etc/init.d/rc?.d/* are mostly empty, except for two. > > >Here is a partial "tar tvjf /cdrom/config/etc.tar.bz2" : > > > > It worked for me yesterday. > > Can you try a "make clean install iso dist" , this sometimes helps. > > I don't think you need a "make mproper". > > This is after immediately running "make clean install iso" (no "dist"). The make command is still on my xterm window. Scrolling back, I see: executing cfg_runlevel with option install configuring runlevels insserv: Max recursions deep 99 reached insserv: Max recursions deep 99 reached insserv: Max recursions deep 99 reached insserv: Max recursions deep 99 reached insserv: Max recursions deep 99 reached insserv: Maximum of 99 in ordering reached NOT creating links for: /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/firewall.rules /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/firewall.rules.2nic /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/functions /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/grsecurity /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/jail /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/mount_cdrom /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/rc /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/sendsignals /data/build/tmp/ETC/etc/init.d/wlan Is that normal? Is that the problem? WTF does that mean? :-) - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-15 18:51:17
|
> It worked for me yesterday. Did you create a new etc, or use an old one off media? You wouldn't see the problem if you used an old /etc. List out the etc tar file on your new ISO and see if there are any links in the rc?.d directories. - BS |