|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-04 22:54:10
|
Hi! May I ask everybody to extend this list so we know what's going on and we don't start working on the same stuff? Up to now I know or I think to know about the following work that is either planned, already in the works or ongoing work: * IPv6 and bonding by Francois Dumont * DHCP server support for VLAN interfaces by Thomas Eder * telnet client by Thomas Eder * ipac-ng in general by Friedrich Lobenstock * patching pcwd watchdog into kernel by Friedrich Lobenstock * pwlib, openh323, gnugk(, bison) by Bruce Smith * setup script by Bruce Smith * Micro Devil Linux by John Kiss So that's it what I know from the mailinglist and from private mails. Please mail me in private and I will update the list from above and post it on devil-developer. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-06 20:25:12
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > May I ask everybody to extend this list so we know what's going on and > we don't start working on the same stuff? > > Up to now I know or I think to know about the following work > that is either planned, already in the works or ongoing work: > > * IPv6 and bonding by Francois Dumont > * DHCP server support for VLAN interfaces by Thomas Eder > * telnet client by Thomas Eder > * ipac-ng in general by Friedrich Lobenstock > * patching pcwd watchdog into kernel by Friedrich Lobenstock > * pwlib, openh323, gnugk(, bison) by Bruce Smith > * setup script by Bruce Smith > * Micro Devil Linux by John Kiss > > So that's it what I know from the mailinglist and from private > mails. Please mail me in private and I will update the list from > above and post it on devil-developer. > - USB config/storage support by Heiko - documentation updates by Heiko (somebody wants this task?) - software updates by Heiko thinking about: - cleaning up bas system and moving more stuff to CD (base system is too big) My current schedule doesn't allow me much more, sorry guys. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-06 22:55:05
|
> > * pwlib, openh323, gnugk(, bison) by Bruce Smith I was on vacation last week. I will resume working on that soon. > > * setup script by Bruce Smith I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. > - cleaning up bas system and moving more stuff to CD > (base system is too big) I've been meaning to ask about that. Currently it appears that all binaries go into memory. Is that to make it easier for security updates? (add patches without burning a new CD) I was wondering if we should make one binary directory on CD, and another in memory. i.e. take the pairs: /sbin & /usr/sbin /bin & /usr/bin Maybe we should put one of each on CD, and the other in memory. Initially the one in memory starts out empty, but updates go there, and the $PATH has the one in memory first, so it gets executed from memory if it exists there, otherwise it runs direct from CD. - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-06 23:35:33
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>> * setup script by Bruce Smith > > I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. Basic -> Timezone: I'd rather like to select an entry with return and not space. -> Keyboard: No german keyboard support - HELP! -> Syslog: Enter or Space to select? Hmmm....it's space again.... -> Log: position to the currently selected level Saving config: the message "press the any-key...." is displayed twice...what's going on? Exit I already saved my settings and there appears a message telling me to save my config....hu? What if I wanted to save now? There's only one button named "OK". So either there needs to be a "save config now" button or this message is useless. Hope I'm not to hard with my findings but that's what came to my attention right away - just testing it for 2 minutes - don't know if anything from above is a limit of the dialoge package. But aside my findings it looks really GREAT! Good job Bruce. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-06 23:50:18
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: > >>>> * setup script by Bruce Smith >> >> >> I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. > > > Basic > -> Timezone: I'd rather like to select an entry with return and not space. > -> Keyboard: No german keyboard support - HELP! > -> Syslog: Enter or Space to select? Hmmm....it's space again.... > -> Log: position to the currently selected level > > Saving config: > the message "press the any-key...." is displayed twice...what's going on? Those are my latest modifications to the save-config script. You can use the "-q" parameter and save-config just runs through. Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-06 23:55:27
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: >> Saving config: >> the message "press the any-key...." is displayed twice...what's going >> on? > > > Those are my latest modifications to the save-config script. > You can use the "-q" parameter and save-config just runs through. Hmmm....I'd opt for removing the second "press the anykey". If the user was already sure to save the config do the job - we are on unix, not m$ ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-07 00:10:24
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: >> >>> Saving config: >>> the message "press the any-key...." is displayed twice...what's >>> going on? >> >> >> >> Those are my latest modifications to the save-config script. >> You can use the "-q" parameter and save-config just runs through. > > > Hmmm....I'd opt for removing the second "press the anykey". If the user > was already sure to save the config do the job - we are on unix, not m$ ;-) > The thought behind the second "anykey" is the following: We list the changes between the old config and the new config, then the user has a chance to cancel the saving. On the other hand I'm not sure if many users really look (at least I do). Heiko |
|
[Devil-linux-develop] save-config and two times "press anykey" (was Re: feedback about
setup script)
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-07 00:18:14
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > The thought behind the second "anykey" is the following: > We list the changes between the old config and the new config, then the > user has a chance to cancel the saving. On the other hand I'm not sure > if many users really look (at least I do). Then better remove the first "press anykey". In my opinion if I'm asked a second time when I already said yes I rather hit enter without looking, but thinking "damned thing don't ask, do your work". How about the users in general? I can't say but I know that I'm a user who's hard to please ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-07 00:35:21
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> >> The thought behind the second "anykey" is the following: >> We list the changes between the old config and the new config, then >> the user has a chance to cancel the saving. On the other hand I'm not >> sure if many users really look (at least I do). > > > Then better remove the first "press anykey". In my opinion if I'm asked > a second time when I already said yes I rather hit enter without looking, > but thinking "damned thing don't ask, do your work". How about the users > in general? I can't say but I know that I'm a user who's hard to please ;-) > You're not a user, you're a pain in the ass. ;-) The first one is just to make sure we got the correct media, but I agree, we don't really need it. cya Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-07 00:44:35
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > > You're not a user, you're a pain in the ass. ;-) Thanks for the compliment ;-) -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-07 00:47:36
|
> >>> * setup script by Bruce Smith > > > > I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. > > Basic > -> Timezone: I'd rather like to select an entry with return and not space. > -> Keyboard: No german keyboard support - HELP! > -> Syslog: Enter or Space to select? Hmmm....it's space again.... > -> Log: position to the currently selected level > > Saving config: > the message "press the any-key...." is displayed twice...what's going on? Let me try a new compile before I comment. :-) > Exit > I already saved my settings and there appears a message telling me to > save my config....hu? What if I wanted to save now? There's only one > button named "OK". So either there needs to be a "save config now" > button or this message is useless. The problem is dialog doesn't have just a OK/CANCEL box. You can press ESC (twice?) to exit without saving. I can add a message to that effect to the box. > Hope I'm not to hard with my findings but that's what came to my attention > right away - just testing it for 2 minutes - don't know if anything from > above is a limit of the dialoge package. Nothing is too hard. I want it to look and function good. All feedback is appreciated. (even the stuff I don't agree with :) Feel free to give it more than 2 minutes and let me know ... > But aside my findings it looks really GREAT! Good job Bruce. Thanks. I'd really like a better way to probe for network cards. Maybe after 1.0 is released, I'll dig into some code to see how other distributions do it... - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-06 23:30:20
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>> * pwlib, openh323, gnugk(, bison) by Bruce Smith > > > I was on vacation last week. I will resume working on that soon. I spent the weekend in Wilmington, NC ( Atlantic coast). The small vacation felt really good! Did you go somewhere special? >>> * setup script by Bruce Smith > > I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. I just started a full recompile (testing updated sources), I'll try to take a look at it once I get a working system. >>- cleaning up bas system and moving more stuff to CD >>(base system is too big) > > I've been meaning to ask about that. > > Currently it appears that all binaries go into memory. > Is that to make it easier for security updates? > (add patches without burning a new CD) > > I was wondering if we should make one binary directory on CD, > and another in memory. i.e. take the pairs: > > /sbin & /usr/sbin > /bin & /usr/bin > > Maybe we should put one of each on CD, and the other in memory. > Initially the one in memory starts out empty, but updates go there, > and the $PATH has the one in memory first, so it gets executed from > memory if it exists there, otherwise it runs direct from CD. We have most of the stuff in the ramdisk because we (Friedrich and I) don't think CD drives are reliable enough for constant access. For a later release when we have DL on different (more reliable) medias, we can let the user choose what he wants. For now I was thinking to move the biggest, not often used, suckers to CD and "symlink" them. cya Heiko |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-06 23:42:03
|
Heiko Zuerker wrote: > Bruce Smith wrote: >> Currently it appears that all binaries go into memory. >> Is that to make it easier for security updates? >> (add patches without burning a new CD) >> >> I was wondering if we should make one binary directory on CD, and >> another in memory. i.e. take the pairs: >> >> /sbin & /usr/sbin >> /bin & /usr/bin >> >> Maybe we should put one of each on CD, and the other in memory. >> Initially the one in memory starts out empty, but updates go there, >> and the $PATH has the one in memory first, so it gets executed from >> memory if it exists there, otherwise it runs direct from CD. > > > We have most of the stuff in the ramdisk because we (Friedrich and I) > don't think CD drives are reliable enough for constant access. To be precise you convinced my a long time ago that CD drives are not reliable and that it's better to have all in the ramdisk. I personally don't have a problem with that as all devil boxes I installed lately got at least 512M of RAM anyways. I guess in the long run we'll be unsing flash disk or usb flash drives to reduce the amount of moving parts in our firewalls and/or servers. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-07 00:41:39
|
> > I was on vacation last week. I will resume working on that soon. > > I spent the weekend in Wilmington, NC ( Atlantic coast). The small > vacation felt really good! Did you go somewhere special? We took the week off and stayed around home. I thought I'd have time to work on some DL stuff, but my wife had other ideas. :-) > >>> * setup script by Bruce Smith > > > > I'm currently waiting for more feedback while I work on the above. > > I just started a full recompile (testing updated sources), I'll try to > take a look at it once I get a working system. Cool - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-07-07 00:05:30
|
Friedrich Lobenstock wrote: > Heiko Zuerker wrote: > >> Bruce Smith wrote: >> >>> Currently it appears that all binaries go into memory. >>> Is that to make it easier for security updates? >>> (add patches without burning a new CD) >>> >>> I was wondering if we should make one binary directory on CD, and >>> another in memory. i.e. take the pairs: >>> >>> /sbin & /usr/sbin >>> /bin & /usr/bin >>> >>> Maybe we should put one of each on CD, and the other in memory. >>> Initially the one in memory starts out empty, but updates go there, >>> and the $PATH has the one in memory first, so it gets executed from >>> memory if it exists there, otherwise it runs direct from CD. >> >> >> >> We have most of the stuff in the ramdisk because we (Friedrich and I) >> don't think CD drives are reliable enough for constant access. > > > To be precise you convinced my a long time ago that CD drives are not > reliable and that it's better to have all in the ramdisk. I personally > don't have a problem with that as all devil boxes I installed lately > got at least 512M of RAM anyways. I guess in the long run we'll be > unsing flash disk or usb flash drives to reduce the amount of moving > parts in our firewalls and/or servers. > That's my goal, too. To only problem is that the majority of our users (private) uses old hardware (like me), which is not very so reliable. That's the reason why the first step should be to move the not-so-often-used binaries to the CD. I think we should release 1.0 before we think about moving most of the stuff onto the storage media. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-07 00:39:40
|
> >> We have most of the stuff in the ramdisk because we (Friedrich and I) > >> don't think CD drives are reliable enough for constant access. > > > > To be precise you convinced my a long time ago that CD drives are not > > reliable and that it's better to have all in the ramdisk. I personally > > don't have a problem with that as all devil boxes I installed lately > > got at least 512M of RAM anyways. I guess in the long run we'll be > > unsing flash disk or usb flash drives to reduce the amount of moving > > parts in our firewalls and/or servers. > > That's my goal, too. To only problem is that the majority of our users > (private) uses old hardware (like me), which is not very so reliable. Yes, a LOT of users I know run their firewalls on old Pentium boxes. I've seen those old machines sold as cheap as $5. Not to mention an old 100Mhz Pentium box can firewall a full T1 line without breaking a sweat. > That's the reason why the first step should be to move the > not-so-often-used binaries to the CD. I'd move the command-line binaries to the CD. (stuff you have to be logged into the firewall to run) That way the user can see it right away if something has a problem. > I think we should release 1.0 before we think about moving most of the > stuff onto the storage media. Yes. - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-07-07 00:55:19
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Let me try a new compile before I comment. :-) No problem. > Feel free to give it more than 2 minutes and let me know ... Not right now, it's time for bed because it's already close to 3 am here. >>But aside my findings it looks really GREAT! Good job Bruce. > > Thanks. > > I'd really like a better way to probe for network cards. > Maybe after 1.0 is released, I'll dig into some code to see how > other distributions do it... Hey take it this way before you came there was not even the setup script. The current script is a huge improvent anyways. I guess a lot of beginners will thank you for this. So IMO the better network card probing definitely can wait for 1.0. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-07-07 01:14:42
|
> > Feel free to give it more than 2 minutes and let me know ... > > Not right now, No problem. Whenever. > it's time for bed because it's already close to 3 am here. Yikes! > > I'd really like a better way to probe for network cards. > > Maybe after 1.0 is released, I'll dig into some code to see how > > other distributions do it... > > Hey take it this way before you came there was not even the setup > script. The current script is a huge improvent anyways. I guess a lot > of beginners will thank you for this. So IMO the better network card > probing definitely can wait for 1.0. I suspect it can get very involved, and a good thing to put off. Speaking of network stuff, I plan on creating a 3-NIC firewall script (add DMZ rules to the 2-NIC script). Put me on the list for that. - BS |