|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-19 21:50:25
|
Hey, I just checked in the changes for save-config to support USB devices. Have fun and bug reports are welcome, as usual. ;-) cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-21 02:59:42
|
> I just checked in the changes for save-config to support USB devices. > Have fun and bug reports are welcome, as usual. ;-) I think I found a bug. I manually created etc.tar.bz2 on my USB device, and it found and used it on boot without a problem. (nice!) However save-config doesn't find it, and wants to save to floppy. I think the problem is you rmmod all the usb stuff in linuxrc after you're done with it, and save-config doesn't modprobe it. When I manually modprobe uhci & usb-storage, then save-config saves to my USB device as expected. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-21 14:35:16
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I just checked in the changes for save-config to support USB devices. >>Have fun and bug reports are welcome, as usual. ;-) > > > I think I found a bug. I manually created etc.tar.bz2 on my USB device, > and it found and used it on boot without a problem. (nice!) > > However save-config doesn't find it, and wants to save to floppy. > > I think the problem is you rmmod all the usb stuff in linuxrc after > you're done with it, and save-config doesn't modprobe it. > > When I manually modprobe uhci & usb-storage, then save-config saves to > my USB device as expected. I check with lsmod if usb-storage is loaded, if yes then I check for USB devices. The hotplug driver is supposed to load the usb and usb-storage driver after the initrd. Unfortunately I have to unload all the usb drivers, otherwise they cause problems with the hotplug system. What happens when you unplug the key and plug it back in? Are the drivers loaded? cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-22 01:17:12
|
> > I think I found a bug. I manually created etc.tar.bz2 on my USB device, > > and it found and used it on boot without a problem. (nice!) > > > > However save-config doesn't find it, and wants to save to floppy. > > > > I think the problem is you rmmod all the usb stuff in linuxrc after > > you're done with it, and save-config doesn't modprobe it. > > > > When I manually modprobe uhci & usb-storage, then save-config saves to > > my USB device as expected. > > I check with lsmod if usb-storage is loaded, if yes then I check for USB > devices. > The hotplug driver is supposed to load the usb and usb-storage driver > after the initrd. > Unfortunately I have to unload all the usb drivers, otherwise they cause > problems with the hotplug system. > > What happens when you unplug the key and plug it back in? Are the > drivers loaded? Nope. This is a real PC, not VMware. I just followed these steps: Fresh reboot with config on USB. (loads fine). ssh into the PC, run save-config, wants to save to floppy, ctrl-C unplug USB, plug in USB memory stick. run lsmod - no usb modules listed. run save-config - still wants to save to floppy - ctrl-C. Maybe you need to leave the modules for the USB core/controller? I _think_ that's how Redhat does it, and they use hotplug. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-22 18:05:18
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>I think I found a bug. I manually created etc.tar.bz2 on my USB device, >>>and it found and used it on boot without a problem. (nice!) >>> >>>However save-config doesn't find it, and wants to save to floppy. >>> >>>I think the problem is you rmmod all the usb stuff in linuxrc after >>>you're done with it, and save-config doesn't modprobe it. >>> >>>When I manually modprobe uhci & usb-storage, then save-config saves to >>>my USB device as expected. >> >>I check with lsmod if usb-storage is loaded, if yes then I check for USB >>devices. >>The hotplug driver is supposed to load the usb and usb-storage driver >>after the initrd. >>Unfortunately I have to unload all the usb drivers, otherwise they cause >>problems with the hotplug system. >> >>What happens when you unplug the key and plug it back in? Are the >>drivers loaded? > > > Nope. This is a real PC, not VMware. I just followed these steps: > > Fresh reboot with config on USB. (loads fine). > ssh into the PC, run save-config, wants to save to floppy, ctrl-C > unplug USB, plug in USB memory stick. > run lsmod - no usb modules listed. > run save-config - still wants to save to floppy - ctrl-C. It works for me in VMWare and on *real* PCs. Is this a fairly new computer? > Maybe you need to leave the modules for the USB core/controller? > I _think_ that's how Redhat does it, and they use hotplug. That was causing problems. Looks like I have to force a re-load of the modules in the boot script. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-22 18:51:21
|
> > Nope. This is a real PC, not VMware. I just followed these steps: > > > > Fresh reboot with config on USB. (loads fine). > > ssh into the PC, run save-config, wants to save to floppy, ctrl-C > > unplug USB, plug in USB memory stick. > > run lsmod - no usb modules listed. > > run save-config - still wants to save to floppy - ctrl-C. > > It works for me in VMWare and on *real* PCs. Is this a fairly new computer? It's a HP Celeron 500. > > Maybe you need to leave the modules for the USB core/controller? > > I _think_ that's how Redhat does it, and they use hotplug. > > That was causing problems. Looks like I have to force a re-load of the > modules in the boot script. What exactly is "hotplug"? Is it a process that should be running? (it's not) - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-23 12:32:10
|
Sorry if this message is a repeat. I sent it yesterday, but I didn't see a copy come back to me ... ? > > Nope. This is a real PC, not VMware. I just followed these steps: > > > > Fresh reboot with config on USB. (loads fine). > > ssh into the PC, run save-config, wants to save to floppy, ctrl-C > > unplug USB, plug in USB memory stick. > > run lsmod - no usb modules listed. > > run save-config - still wants to save to floppy - ctrl-C. > > It works for me in VMWare and on *real* PCs. Is this a fairly new computer? My firewall I'm testing this on is a HP Celeron 500 - 192MB. > > Maybe you need to leave the modules for the USB core/controller? > > I _think_ that's how Redhat does it, and they use hotplug. > > That was causing problems. Looks like I have to force a re-load of the > modules in the boot script. What exactly is "hotplug"? Is it a process/daemon that should be running? (it's not) - BS |