|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-19 22:00:18
|
Hey Bruce, I did some (quick) testing of the new setup program, here my list: - Timezone: when you just hit [enter] , timezone is empty - Timezone: you should display the subdirectories: instead of Eastern -> US/Eastern (could cause problem above) - You should make a comment, that using SYSLOG instead of SYSLOG-NG will brake a few things - Packages: the dialog box is too high, I also see no help - Services: same as above - save: you do not need to give USB as an option That's it for now. Otherwise I like it, good job! cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-19 22:22:39
|
> I did some (quick) testing of the new setup program, here my list: Cool! > - Timezone: when you just hit [enter] , timezone is empty That's because the default is not in my list. The easy fix is to modify the line in: build/config/etc/sysconfig/config TIMEZONE="US/Eastern" to instead say: TIMEZONE="EST5EDT" (so it's on my displayed list) Is that an OK change to commit to CVS? > - Timezone: you should display the subdirectories: instead of Eastern -> > US/Eastern (could cause problem above) You lost me there. > - You should make a comment, that using SYSLOG instead of SYSLOG-NG will > brake a few things Will do. (although it will say "break" not "brake" :) </smartass> > - Packages: the dialog box is too high, What do you mean by "too high"? It covers up the header? I can probably fix that ... > I also see no help We need to modify all the build/script/* files to echo "some help" >> some-help-file I'll do that for a few so you can look at it, and see if you like it, before I spend too much time modifying them all. > - Services: same as above Same answer. :-) > - save: you do not need to give USB as an option OK, how does it work? It looks for etc.tar and saves it wherever it finds it? I just need to run "save-config" with no arguments? > That's it for now. Otherwise I like it, good job! Thanks for checking it out! - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-19 22:40:18
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>I did some (quick) testing of the new setup program, here my list: > > > Cool! > > >>- Timezone: when you just hit [enter] , timezone is empty > > > That's because the default is not in my list. The easy fix is to > modify the line in: build/config/etc/sysconfig/config > > TIMEZONE="US/Eastern" > > to instead say: > > TIMEZONE="EST5EDT" > > (so it's on my displayed list) > > Is that an OK change to commit to CVS? see next comment Using EST5EDT isn't that common. >>- Timezone: you should display the subdirectories: instead of Eastern -> >> US/Eastern (could cause problem above) > > > You lost me there. When you look in /usr/share/zoneinfo , you see that there are subdirectories. One for example is the US with the file Eastern in there. You should show this in the list as US/Eastern. Clear now? > >>- You should make a comment, that using SYSLOG instead of SYSLOG-NG will >>brake a few things > > > Will do. (although it will say "break" not "brake" :) </smartass> Correct me when I do something wrong, I'm here to learn. >>- Packages: the dialog box is too high, > > > What do you mean by "too high"? It covers up the header? Yepp, it looks like you have it at least 24 lines high. > I can probably fix that ... I hope so. ;-) >> I also see no help > > > We need to modify all the build/script/* files to > echo "some help" >> some-help-file > > I'll do that for a few so you can look at it, and see if you > like it, before I spend too much time modifying them all. > > >>- Services: same as above > > > Same answer. :-) Same again. >>- save: you do not need to give USB as an option > > > OK, how does it work? > It looks for etc.tar and saves it wherever it finds it? > I just need to run "save-config" with no arguments? Yes correct. It also uses *your* routine to find an empty media and then asks if it should copy the configuration. >>That's it for now. Otherwise I like it, good job! > > > Thanks for checking it out! No problem! cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-20 01:36:52
|
> >>- Timezone: you should display the subdirectories: instead of Eastern -> > >> US/Eastern (could cause problem above) > > > > You lost me there. > > When you look in /usr/share/zoneinfo , you see that there are > subdirectories. One for example is the US with the file Eastern in there. > You should show this in the list as US/Eastern. > > Clear now? Got it. That looks much better. (already running on my local copy) I didn't know you could specify the directory too. Live & learn. > >>- You should make a comment, that using SYSLOG instead of SYSLOG-NG will > >>brake a few things > > > > Will do. (although it will say "break" not "brake" :) </smartass> > > Correct me when I do something wrong, I'm here to learn. I forgot, it's a second-language thing. "brake" is what you step on in your car to stop. "break" is something broken. Both pronounced the same, spelled different, different meaning. English is a real pain that way, as I'm sure you already know. :-) > >>- Packages: the dialog box is too high, > > > > What do you mean by "too high"? It covers up the header? > > Yepp, it looks like you have it at least 24 lines high. I let everything default, so "dialog" sizes all the screens. I'll have to do some calculations and specify the size. > >>- save: you do not need to give USB as an option > > > > > > OK, how does it work? > > It looks for etc.tar and saves it wherever it finds it? > > I just need to run "save-config" with no arguments? > > Yes correct. > It also uses *your* routine to find an empty media and then asks if it > should copy the configuration. Cool. I have a USB memory stick now, so I hope to play with it this weekend. BTW, I picked up a small one for saving configurations (64MB), and a big one (512MB) to try putting all of DL on it, someday. If anyone wants a small one cheap, this works very nice in Linux: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MRFLASH-64M 64MB, has a write protect switch, and is only $21.95. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2003-06-20 01:57:09
|
> I also see no help OK, I had help loaded for a couple items (as a sample), and they didn't show up on mine either. The problem is I created the help file in /etc/sysconfig/ and both of us were using an _old_ etc.tar.bz2 config, which doesn't contain the file. If you want to see the help work, copy "software-help" to your /etc/sysconfig/ (or start with a fresh config), go to "Services" in setup, and the first two items should have help on the bottom line. Should I move the "software-help" file out of /etc so we don't have this problem in the future? If so, where should I put it? -------------------------------------------- Bruce Smith br...@ar... System Administrator / Network Administrator Armstrong International, Inc. Three Rivers, Michigan 49093 USA http://www.armstrong-intl.com/ -------------------------------------------- |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@re...> - 2003-06-20 18:41:41
|
> I did some (quick) testing of the new setup program, here my list: > - Timezone: when you just hit [enter] , timezone is empty > - Timezone: you should display the subdirectories: instead of Eastern -> > US/Eastern (could cause problem above) > - You should make a comment, that using SYSLOG instead of SYSLOG-NG will > brake a few things > - Packages: the dialog box is too high, I also see no help > - Services: same as above > - save: you do not need to give USB as an option > > That's it for now. Otherwise I like it, good job! I addressed all of your issues. Changes are committed. Run: "make clean install iso" and look again. Thanks! - BS |