|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2003-05-29 15:38:17
|
Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I "export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do that with 0.5. Is this a bug or a "feature"? :-) -------------------------------------------- Bruce Smith br...@ar... System Administrator / Network Administrator Armstrong International, Inc. Three Rivers, Michigan 49093 USA http://www.armstrong-intl.com/ -------------------------------------------- |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-05-30 16:09:38
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I > "export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do > that with 0.5. > > Is this a bug or a "feature"? :-) > I wasn't aware of a problem there, but I'm a joe-user. ;-) Which release do you use? Is it already a glibc 2.3.2 one? Is the file /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux existing? Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-05-31 03:27:46
|
> > Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I > > "export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do > > that with 0.5. > > I wasn't aware of a problem there, but I'm a joe-user. ;-) > Which release do you use? Is it already a glibc 2.3.2 one? > Is the file /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux existing? Yes, the terminfo files exists, TERM is set to "linux" by default. However, I'm running a release before the new glibc. I'll compile up a new one and try it. I'll let you know if there is still a problem. - BS |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-01 02:55:21
|
> > > Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I > > > "export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do > > > that with 0.5. > > > > I wasn't aware of a problem there, but I'm a joe-user. ;-) > > Which release do you use? Is it already a glibc 2.3.2 one? > > Is the file /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux existing? > > Yes, the terminfo files exists, TERM is set to "linux" by default. > > However, I'm running a release before the new glibc. I'll compile up a > new one and try it. I'll let you know if there is still a problem. OK, I'm now running the latest (downloaded & compiled today) and the problem is still there. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-01 15:00:24
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>>Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I >>>>"export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do >>>>that with 0.5. >>> >>>I wasn't aware of a problem there, but I'm a joe-user. ;-) >>>Which release do you use? Is it already a glibc 2.3.2 one? >>>Is the file /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux existing? >> >>Yes, the terminfo files exists, TERM is set to "linux" by default. >> >>However, I'm running a release before the new glibc. I'll compile up a >>new one and try it. I'll let you know if there is still a problem. > > > OK, I'm now running the latest (downloaded & compiled today) > and the problem is still there. > Crap. What is the exact problem? I'm not familiar with vi, so you probably have to write me down the 'secret vi key combinations'. ;-) Which SSH client do you use? When I recall it correctly, DL 0.5 still use the Busybox vi, so the problem could also be in the vim package. Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-01 17:42:01
|
> >>>>Since upgrading to the 0.6beta releases, "vi" gives me garbage unless I > >>>>"export TERM=vt100" before hand (ssh'ed in as root). I never had to do > >>>>that with 0.5. > >>> > >>>I wasn't aware of a problem there, but I'm a joe-user. ;-) > >>>Which release do you use? Is it already a glibc 2.3.2 one? > >>>Is the file /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux existing? > >> > >>Yes, the terminfo files exists, TERM is set to "linux" by default. > >> > >>However, I'm running a release before the new glibc. I'll compile up a > >>new one and try it. I'll let you know if there is still a problem. > > > > OK, I'm now running the latest (downloaded & compiled today) > > and the problem is still there. > > Crap. > What is the exact problem? I'm not familiar with vi, so you probably > have to write me down the 'secret vi key combinations'. ;-) The problem is when I move around on the screen and insert characters, I see the actual control sequence displayed. Looks like: (actual copy/paste): [?0c[?1c [?0c[?1c [?0c[?1cj[?0c > Which SSH client do you use? OpenSSH 3.5 (stock Redhat 9) > When I recall it correctly, DL 0.5 still use the Busybox vi, so the > problem could also be in the vim package. Could be. Are there any other curses based editors or programs available on DL? Pico or something like? That might be a good test. - BS |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-06-01 22:05:25
|
Hey, Bruce Smith wrote: > >The problem is when I move around on the screen and insert characters, I >see the actual control sequence displayed. Looks like: >(actual copy/paste): > >[?0c[?1c [?0c[?1c [?0c[?1cj[?0c > > I never saw this effect, but I'll check on it. >>Which SSH client do you use? >> >> >OpenSSH 3.5 (stock Redhat 9) > > > >>When I recall it correctly, DL 0.5 still use the Busybox vi, so the >>problem could also be in the vim package. >> >> > >Could be. > >Are there any other curses based editors or programs available on DL? >Pico or something like? That might be a good test. > > - BS > > We have joe and nano, which is similar to pico. cya Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-06-01 22:44:23
|
> >The problem is when I move around on the screen and insert characters, I > >see the actual control sequence displayed. Looks like: > >(actual copy/paste): > > > >[?0c[?1c [?0c[?1c [?0c[?1cj[?0c > > > I never saw this effect, but I'll check on it. OK, after some more investigation, I'm not convinced it's NOT a bug that we need to worry about with DL. "vi" works fine from a virtual console (as the "TERM=linux" implies). I'm only seeing the problem when I slogin from a gnome-terminal window. I tested "vi" from a regular "xterm" window, and it works there too. It's nothing we need to worry about. Sorry! - BS |