|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-05-28 17:31:38
|
On 05/28/2003 11:01:12 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >I added a simple iptables script that supports 2 NIC's w/masquerading.= >Please take a look, and comment: > >http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/devil-linux/build/confi= g/ >etc/init.d/firewall.rules.2nic?rev=3DHEAD I wouldn't fix the interface to interna=3Deth1 and external=3Deth0 . Let the user choose it. I didn't look over the rules. >Much of the code was originally based on a script from my 2nd favorite= >dedicated Linux firewall distribution. :-) Thief ;-) = |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-05-28 17:59:19
|
> >I added a simple iptables script that supports 2 NIC's w/masquerading. > >Please take a look, and comment: > > > >http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/devil-linux/build/config/ > >etc/init.d/firewall.rules.2nic?rev=HEAD > > I wouldn't fix the interface to interna=eth1 and external=eth0 . > Let the user choose it. I'm trying to come up with script(s) that I can copy to firewall.rules in my new setup script. I need to default them to something. I'm happy to switch them around if you like that better. Also, in my experience, the numbering of ethernet interfaces is very arbitrary. Even if the cards use two different drivers, I don't know how to tell which is which without examining the MAC addresses or trying them. The output of "ifconfig" doesn't say which driver it's using. Asking a newbie if they want eth0 or eth1 connected to the internet isn't going to mean anything to them, unless I can tell them which card is which. So, my instructions would be to plug one NIC into your cable/DSL modem, and the other into your internal LAN. If it doesn't work, switch the cables, reboot DL & modem, and try again. I'd appreciate advice, if there is a better way. > I didn't look over the rules. Please do, if you get the time. I'd like many people to look at it seriously and test it. This script is very preliminary (untested by myself), and I don't want it to have a security hole somewhere. It's true that the code was "borrowed" from a different firewall package, but I made some changes. We need to check to make sure I didn't break something while I was at it. I will test it myself, when I get the time, but I'd feel much better if other people looked at it, and tested it too. > >Much of the code was originally based on a script from my 2nd favorite > >dedicated Linux firewall distribution. :-) > > Thief ;-) Open Source! :-) - BS |
|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2003-05-28 18:26:49
|
Wow Bruce, you are hot !! --- Bruce Smith <bw...@ar...> wrote: > > >I added a simple iptables script that supports 2 NIC's w/masquerading. > > >Please take a look, and comment: > > > > > >http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/devil-linux/build/config/ > > >etc/init.d/firewall.rules.2nic?rev=HEAD > > > > I wouldn't fix the interface to interna=eth1 and external=eth0 . > > Let the user choose it. > > I'm trying to come up with script(s) that I can copy to firewall.rules > in my new setup script. I need to default them to something. I'm happy > to switch them around if you like that better. > > Also, in my experience, the numbering of ethernet interfaces is very > arbitrary. Even if the cards use two different drivers, I don't know > how to tell which is which without examining the MAC addresses or trying > them. The output of "ifconfig" doesn't say which driver it's using. > > Asking a newbie if they want eth0 or eth1 connected to the internet > isn't going to mean anything to them, unless I can tell them which card > is which. > > So, my instructions would be to plug one NIC into your cable/DSL modem, > and the other into your internal LAN. If it doesn't work, switch the > cables, reboot DL & modem, and try again. > > I'd appreciate advice, if there is a better way. > > > I didn't look over the rules. > > Please do, if you get the time. I'd like many people to look at it > seriously and test it. This script is very preliminary (untested by > myself), and I don't want it to have a security hole somewhere. > > It's true that the code was "borrowed" from a different firewall > package, but I made some changes. We need to check to make sure I > didn't break something while I was at it. I will test it myself, when I > get the time, but I'd feel much better if other people looked at it, and > tested it too. > > > >Much of the code was originally based on a script from my 2nd favorite > > >dedicated Linux firewall distribution. :-) > > > > Thief ;-) > > Open Source! :-) > > - BS > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > This SF.net email is sponsored by: ObjectStore. > If flattening out C++ or Java code to make your application fit in a > relational database is painful, don't do it! Check out ObjectStore. > Now part of Progress Software. http://www.objectstore.net/sourceforge > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop ===== CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... President, The Linux Society http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM). http://calendar.yahoo.com |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-05-29 02:05:26
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>I added a simple iptables script that supports 2 NIC's w/masquerading. >>>Please take a look, and comment: >>> >>>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/devil-linux/build/config/ >>>etc/init.d/firewall.rules.2nic?rev=HEAD >> >>I wouldn't fix the interface to interna=eth1 and external=eth0 . >>Let the user choose it. > > > I'm trying to come up with script(s) that I can copy to firewall.rules > in my new setup script. I need to default them to something. I'm happy > to switch them around if you like that better. > > Also, in my experience, the numbering of ethernet interfaces is very > arbitrary. Even if the cards use two different drivers, I don't know > how to tell which is which without examining the MAC addresses or trying > them. The output of "ifconfig" doesn't say which driver it's using. > > Asking a newbie if they want eth0 or eth1 connected to the internet > isn't going to mean anything to them, unless I can tell them which card > is which. > > So, my instructions would be to plug one NIC into your cable/DSL modem, > and the other into your internal LAN. If it doesn't work, switch the > cables, reboot DL & modem, and try again. > > I'd appreciate advice, if there is a better way. You're right, do it if nobody comes up with a better idea. Heiko |