|
From: Heiko Z. <hz...@pr...> - 2003-05-15 14:27:22
|
On 05/15/2003 10:16:11 AM Bruce Smith wrote: >In my effort to help out, I noticed that very few help files exist in >the directory: scripts/configuration/help/ > >If anyone else is working on creating them, please speak up. Otherwis= e >I'll go through the packages and create as many as I can figure out. > >All I have to do is create the help files for packages listed in >"make menuconfig", right? No other tweaking required? Correct. It's mostly a cut'n'paste from websites. Have fun and many thanks for the help ! Heiko = |
|
From: John v. V. <joh...@ya...> - 2003-05-15 15:31:43
|
If we go with Webmin,as I hope, and utilize perl for producing DL (and eLSD) then maybe the Perl "Pod" format from Perl would be an appropriate format. Standardized perl scripts exist to create formatted text or html with ease. Perl, despite its weird community, has a culture of pragmatism and practicallity (same thing ??) which I feel parallels the DL philosophy. If you look at any recent perl module, you will see robust Pod documentation. More often than not, perlers include a common example of its usage. I think that the DL mission could be greatly enhanced with an educational purpose if users are encouraged to supply their own configurations and usages as addendums to the standard documentation. Pod, btw, stands for "plain old document" On another formatting topic, XML, I made contact w/ a XML-RSS news feed guru, Morbus Iff, who created AmphetaDesk, also in Perl. I found him on the Sourceforge RSS page, so I am sure RSS is available to DL as well. Morbus is an O'Reilly author w/ several books to his credit. The latest, he claims will be a winner, but he won't tell anything more. It seems to include the word "hack" though. --- Heiko Zuerker <hz...@pr...> wrote: > On 05/15/2003 10:16:11 AM Bruce Smith wrote: > >In my effort to help out, I noticed that very few help files exist in > >the directory: scripts/configuration/help/ > > > >If anyone else is working on creating them, please speak up. Otherwise > >I'll go through the packages and create as many as I can figure out. > > > >All I have to do is create the help files for packages listed in > >"make menuconfig", right? No other tweaking required? > > Correct. It's mostly a cut'n'paste from websites. > > Have fun and many thanks for the help ! > > Heiko > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------- > Enterprise Linux Forum Conference & Expo, June 4-6, 2003, Santa Clara > The only event dedicated to issues related to Linux enterprise solutions > www.enterpriselinuxforum.com > > _______________________________________________ > Devil-linux-develop mailing list > Dev...@li... > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/devil-linux-develop ===== CXN, Inc. Contact: jo...@th... President, The Linux Society http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. http://search.yahoo.com |
|
From: Bruce S. <br...@ar...> - 2003-05-16 15:44:17
|
> >In my effort to help out, I noticed that very few help files exist in > >the directory: scripts/configuration/help/ > > > >If anyone else is working on creating them, please speak up. Otherwise > >I'll go through the packages and create as many as I can figure out. > > > >All I have to do is create the help files for packages listed in > >"make menuconfig", right? No other tweaking required? > > Correct. It's mostly a cut'n'paste from websites. > > Have fun and many thanks for the help ! I have them almost all done. One question: Why is the config file for the "SCM USBAT-02 Compact Flash Reader (Zio et al)" CONFIG_SCM_USBAT02 named: scripts/configuration/linux.config ? -------------------------------------------- Bruce Smith br...@ar... System Administrator / Network Administrator Armstrong International, Inc. Three Rivers, Michigan 49093 USA http://www.armstrong-intl.com/ -------------------------------------------- |
|
From: Heiko Z. <he...@zu...> - 2003-05-16 16:20:20
|
Bruce Smith wrote: >>>In my effort to help out, I noticed that very few help files exist in >>>the directory: scripts/configuration/help/ >>> >>>If anyone else is working on creating them, please speak up. Otherwise >>>I'll go through the packages and create as many as I can figure out. >>> >>>All I have to do is create the help files for packages listed in >>>"make menuconfig", right? No other tweaking required? >>> >>Correct. It's mostly a cut'n'paste from websites. >> >>Have fun and many thanks for the help ! >> > > I have them almost all done. One question: > > Why is the config file for the > > "SCM USBAT-02 Compact Flash Reader (Zio et al)" CONFIG_SCM_USBAT02 > > named: scripts/configuration/linux.config ? It is a Kernel patch and I didn't want to create a new script. Lazyness.... ;-) Heiko |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-05-17 15:00:19
|
I've said before that it'd be nice to have some kind of a web based configuration program for DL. That will take a lot of work. How about something simpler in the mean time? Being heavily involved in my local LUG, I see a LOT of novices who want to get started with Linux. A lot of these people would like a firewall at home, but Devil Linux is not for the novice user. i.e. Creating an iptables script is above their heads. How about a (simple?) improvement that would allow Devil Linux to work "out of the box" (no configuration) for many broadband users? User Requirements: o Broadband (cable/DSL) with Ethernet connection w/NO authorization, which gets IP from ISP via DHCP. This covers MANY cases. o Ethernet cables and hub/switch. o PC with 2 NIC's, 64 MB memory, CDROM drive, Floppy drive, etc. Instructions: o Plug one PC NIC into cable/DSL modem, other into HUB. o Download & burn DL ISO. o Insert _BLANK_ FORMATTED floppy. o Set PC to boot from CDROM. o Boot. That's all! (if it doesn't work, reverse Ethernet cables and try again) What would it take for DL to do this? o Simple, default, iptables script that does masquerading. o Simple, default, dhcpd.conf file for a private IP range. o New/default option in /etc/sysconfig/nic/ifcfg-eth[01]: MODULE=probe where it tries a few popular NIC modules. o During boot, if it finds an EMPTY/FORMATTED floppy, it copies the default configuration to the floppy for next boot. If it finds the normal tar'ed etc directory, it uses it as normal. The advanced user would still be able create their own custom configuration on floppy, just like they do now. It wouldn't effect the power user at all. Thoughts? Am I missing anything? - BS |
|
From: Friedrich L. <fl...@fl...> - 2003-05-17 19:54:22
Attachments:
screenshot.png
|
Bruce Smith wrote: > .... Whatever it is PLEASE when you want to start a new thread do really START a NEW THREAD and DO NOT REPLY to a posting on the list. See attached screenshot. -- MfG / Regards Friedrich Lobenstock ____________________________________________________________________ Friedrich Lobenstock Linux Services Lobenstock URL: http://www.lsl.at/ Email: fl...@fl... ____________________________________________________________________ |
|
From: Bruce S. <bw...@ar...> - 2003-05-17 21:23:48
|
> Whatever it is PLEASE when you want to start a new thread do really > START a NEW THREAD and DO NOT REPLY to a posting on the list. See > attached screenshot. Sorry, I was being lazy. It won't happen again. Please delete my old message from your folder since I resent it with a new thread. And when/if anyone replies, please reply to my latest copy. - BS |