Victor Grishchenko <gritzko <at> plotinka.ru> writes:
> While building and testing a customized version of DevilLinux router
> distro I found an IRC bot onboard. As far as I understood, it was
> EnergyMech compiled from source right there plus some executable named
> "TODO" (for camouflage purposes). The stuff unfolds at /shm/sshd/ and
> runs somehow. Sadly, I had no time for detailed investigation. It leaves
> an overall impression of script kiddie's work.
> Last days DevilLinux website seems to be dead.
I am the project leader of Devil-Linux.
First of all our website is up and was not down at any time.
I don't know how this bot got on your system, but what you're writing does
not make any sense.
1. There's no bot included in the DL sources
2. I can never have been compiled on a running DL system, because there
are no compilers included.
3. It can only have been introduced (compiled from source as you say) if
the machine you compiled DL on, was compromised.
4. The location you specify (/shm) is a ramdisk. So it must be copied onto
the system after it boots up. This can only be the case if you have the
system wide open and somebody can log in easily.
5. I verified the official 1.2.10 release and there's no bot to be seen.
So it seems the problem does not like with Devil-Linux, but rather with
your own system.
Please stop spreading accusations like this, especially without properly
analyzing the issue first.
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.