Menu

Software Requirements Specification Document (SRS)

pchatzik
2015-12-07
2016-02-22
  • pchatzik

pchatzik - 2015-12-07

Hello,

I found the Speech and Debate Timekeeper pretty helpful for debates. I also liked the sound and visual notifications that are used before the timer expires. I would like to write a Software Requirements Specification Document in which I will analyse how the software works in detail. For this reason I will use a common standard for writing the SRS.
    More information about SRS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_requirements_specification

I think it can be really helpful for the community to fully understand this software as it could help develovers improve it or test it better and users can use it as another guide. I can only write it in Greek but another contributor could then translate it to English. When I finish writing the document, I can share the link here if you wish to include it with the program files.

I would really appreciate a positive responce in order to start.

Panagiotis Chatziantoniou

• Jemmy

Jemmy - 2015-12-08

Panagiotis,

Thank you for your interest in advancing the development of this software. You can write the document and I can include it with the source files after I review it. Why can you only write it in Greek? Your English writing in this email is very good.

These are some the most important requirements of the software:
      Interface for starting, stopping, resetting time must work, look and feel, like a regular stopwatch.
      Audio-visual time signals, including voice.
      Interface for navigating between speeches in an ordered sequence.

Jemmy Chen

Last edit: Jemmy 2016-01-15
      • pchatzik

pchatzik - 2015-12-09

Jemmy,

Thanks fot the quick reply. Well, I thought about it and I decided to try writing it in English. I think that the document may not be as good as it would be in Greek in terms of fluency but I can give it a try. If I get stuck then I will switch back to Greek.

So, if I need some help, I will let you know. I plan to start writing in the next few days and finish it probably by mid-January. Also, thanks for mentioning some of the most important requirements. I will definitely include them in the SRS.

Panagiotis

• pchatzik

pchatzik - 2016-01-05

Hello Jemmy,

I have finished writing the SRS (in English). The structure of the document is based on Karl E. Wiegers' template. I hope you will find it useful.
    Here is the link: https://app.box.com/s/yijinxwtzpse45d8a5i47bnqprvn2oxa

Please feel free to review it and suggest possible corrections.

Panagiotis

• Jemmy

Jemmy - 2016-01-15

Panagiotis,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been busy lately, but I am almost done reviewing your document. It is very detailed and thorough and very well written. Thank you for your contribution. I will send you my suggestions as time permits.

Sincerely,
      Jemmy Chen

Last edit: Jemmy 2016-01-15
      • Jemmy

Jemmy - 2016-01-16

Panagiotis,

Here are some minor corrections:

In some places, the first P in Pocket PC is not capitalized, which should be capitalized.

In REQ-5, the correct term for the reverse case is "vice versa" instead of "opposite". It is Latin actually, not English.

In section 4.9.1, there needs to be a comma between the words "contextual" and "meaning" to disambiguate correct sentence parsing.

Jemmy Chen

• pchatzik

pchatzik - 2016-01-16

Jemmy,

You are right. Here is the corrected document:
          https://app.box.com/s/min3s44y97168t0hdf6b5smqbrgc8v3k

• pchatzik

pchatzik - 2016-01-29

Jemmy,

So, if you have no other corrections for the SRS and you think that it is useful for the community, you are free to include it with the source files, whenever you find some free time. Otherwise, if you would like me to add something, feel free to mention it.

• Jemmy

Jemmy - 2016-02-18

I added the SRS to the Git repository. Thank you for your contribution.

• pchatzik

pchatzik - 2016-02-22

Thank you for your cooperation.

Panagiotis