EasyDNS Support

Help
2006-02-05
2013-01-14
  • David Costelloe

David Costelloe - 2006-02-05

Hi,
    I have been through a discussion with Easydns in regards to DDclient.

I'm told that the Wildcard=yes does not work with easydns.

My solutiion to get around this is to use the following config:

# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
    #
    # /etc/ddclient.conf

pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
    syslog=yes
    protocol=easydns
    use=web
    fw=http://192.168.123.254/st_device.html
    fw-login=adimname
    fw-password=routerpassword
    fw-skip="WAN"
    server=members.easydns.com
    login=easydnsusername
    password=easydnsuserpassword
    welford-costelloe.com,*.welford-costelloe.com
    wildcard=yes
    mail=root@localhost.localdomain
    daemon=300

The issue is now as I use both urls:
    welford-costelloe.com and I need to have *.welford-costelloe due to other sites etc.

Easydns is telling me that the usage of: welford-costelloe.com,*.welford-costelloe.com is causing their system not to pickup the *.welford-costelloe.com this is due to ddclient sending the second domain 1 second after the first. This causes easydns server to only refresh the one domain.

So when I ping the domains:
    ping welford-costelloe.com  return the new IP
    ping www.welford-costelloe returns the old IP (no refresh)

I have to manually go into my easydns config and force a refresh as the config shows the correct IP's assigned.

Steps to Fix manual:

Log in to Easydns and change the ip to anything then click done. This causes a refresh.
    Wait the required time and then re-assign back the right IP and click refresh.
    Then I pray alot that my IP doesn't change again because this is a real pain.
    I called the easydns support and they confirm via the logs that DDClient is sending 2 seperate requests almost a second a part.
    The only supported dynamic update client supported by Easydns is ez-ipupdate which I can't seem to get much help on and I can't get it to read the router. That said I would like to push hard to easydns to use DDclient as the supported dynamic Dns update utility.

So I am now at a cross roads. If I can't get this resolved with Easydns I have to go to another provider that can support DDClient and wildcard which would intail moving my domain as well. That said I have a couple of others clients that will have to move also. Is there anyway this issue with the wildcard can get resolved?

Would greatly appreciate any help to resolve this I like Easydns and would hate to leave.

Thanks
    David............

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2006-02-05

You could try to modify ddclient yourself or if you could point me the correct update specifications, maybe I'll update the code myself.  It would pretty interesting if easydns has a page like https://www.dyndns.com/developers/ to find all information.
      Beware: I'm working on ddclient (and a few other projects) in my sparetime so it can take a while before the update is ready.

• glandvador

glandvador - 2007-06-05

Hi,
        Sorry to relive this old thread, but the patch 1108955 will solve parent problems. Actually, ddclient works (for me) like expected with this patch for more than two years, but will exhib parent problems without.
        The main problem I have actually is to apply this patch every time my distro will update ddclient package before an IP update occurs. In two years this happened several times and it's not more fun. When I summited this patch two years ago, I was told that there is some work on a new version of the ddclient and only bug fixes will be taked in account. Passed the fact that I still consider this a bugfix (as it doesnt completly work without), there wasn't radical changes to the ddclient script (I don't count adding options).
        Can you please apply this patch in order to remove some burden from me?

Regards,
        Glandvador.

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2007-06-05

Glandvador, for some reason I must have missed this patch.  I'll take a closer look asap.  Thanks for noticing.

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2007-06-05

Patch applied to revision 53.  Should be in next release.

• glandvador

glandvador - 2007-06-06

Thanks you very much.
              Regards,
              Glandvador.

• David Costelloe

David Costelloe - 2006-02-05

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2006-02-05

After a quick look at the description, i think it must work if you use two configuration.  One with

welford-costelloe.com
        wildcard=yes

and one with

welford-costelloe.com
        wildcard=no

There is a way to let ddclient do this in one configuration but I've never used it.  So I would suggest to try this.
        * remove the wildcard and check what gets update.
        * put wildcard=no in your configuration and check it again
        The first should update *.yourdomain.com and the second yourdomain.com  If this works, try to put it in one configuration.  Somewhere in the ddclient documentation there's an explication about how to do this.

Good luck.

• David Costelloe

David Costelloe - 2006-02-07

The update to the configuration works ok.

Wildcard=yes
          only welford-costelloe.com gets updated

welford-costelloe.com,*.welford-costelloe.com

updates both. The issue being wildcard does not work with easydns.

Not sure where to find the sample using 2 configurations? check the help page no luck there.

Thanks

• wimpunk

wimpunk - 2006-02-07

Let me try to explain it again and hope we understand each other:
            To update *.welford-costelloe.com you need:

wildcard=yes
            welford-costelloe.com

To update welford-costelloe.com you need:

wildcard=no
            welford-costelloe.com

So there _*NO*_ wildcard in the configuration, only the word wildcard is there.  That's the way other ddclient users reported it works.
            If it doesn't work for you, post the not working configuration with the full logging (ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet) as a bugreport and put a link to the bugreport here.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks