require: command not found

Help
adsldude
2008-04-28
2013-01-14
  • adsldude

    adsldude - 2008-04-28

    Problem: ddclient 3.73 no longer starts

    Symptom: here are the errors messages

    root@host:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.ddclient start
    Starting ddclient: /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 14: require: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 15: use: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 16: use: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 17: use: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 18: use: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 20: my: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 21: my: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 22: =~: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 23: my: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 24: =~: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 25: my: command not found
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    /usr/sbin/ddclient: line 26: `my $hostname  = hostname();'

    Background:
    I'm running ddclient on Slackware 12.  I have been using it for a few years without issue.  I believe the problems may have started a month or so ago when I upgraded from Slack 11 to Slack 12, but that only a guess.  It appears that /usr/sbin/ddclient is having trouble finding perl, again a guess.  Slack 12 uses perl 5.8.8 which I use for other functions without apparent issue.

    I've search the help forum here and Google but no joy.  Any ideas on how to bring ddclient back to life?

    TIA

     
    • wimpunk

      wimpunk - 2008-04-28

      it looks like you have a problem with your interpreter.  There's (or at least should be) a #!/usr/bin/perl in the beginning of ddclient which should be used as interpreter.
      Check how ddclient gets started by your init script.  I think you'll see something like 'sh /usr/bin/ddclient' in stead of '/usr/bin/ddclient' without interpreter.
      Try to run ddclient manual with "ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose"

       
      • adsldude

        adsldude - 2008-04-28

        It fixed!  Your comment on the interpreter pointed me in the right direction.  I had made a change to the ddclient script recent based on a forum thread and left a reference/comment at the top of the file:

        # patched see: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1945780&forum_id=399429
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
        ######################################################################
        # $Id: ddclient 78 2007-08-07 06:35:55Z wimpunk $
        #
        # DDCLIENT - a Perl client for updating DynDNS information
        #
        # Author: Paul Burry (paul+ddclient@burry.ca)
        # ddclient-developers: see https://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=116817
        #
        # website: http://ddclient.sf.net
        #
        ######################################################################

        I moved the 1st line into the banner area below the interpreter lines and ddclient fired up first time.  I'm not versed in perl so I didn't realize the interpreter lines needed to be at the top of the script.  Thanks for your help!

         
        • wimpunk

          wimpunk - 2008-04-29

          Nice to know you got it fixed.  Most people doesn't give any feedback which makes it pretty frustrating.

           

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks