Menu

Why this fork ?

2017-05-05
2023-11-08
  • Alexandre Takacs

Hello

Discovered your fork somewhat by chance... Would you elaborate as of what you want to achieve here ?

• Alex

Alex - 2017-05-13

Hello,

Main idea – encryption has to be open source to trust. There are many closed source commercial competitors and more functional (TPM, smart cards etc).

At first I wanted to make the tool for personal use only for my T732 but there was big interest to support EFI from community. So DCS was published.

DCS was a separate project (not part of VeraCrypt). DCS could support OPAL, DiskCryptor, LUKS or other encryption tools as PBA. It is general PBA for EFI.

I chose VeraCrypt because it looked like the most dynamic project and the most functional.

Mounir stopped support of VeraCrypt and I had to start the branch of VeraCrypt to publish enhancements and bug fixes.

I started donation campaign to check interest of community. Unfortunately there is no activity.

The development is complex. It takes a lot of time and requires new hardware (e.g. TPM 2.0). During last year there were long periods I worked for the project full time.

So future of the project is not clear. I cannot find funding sources.

Last edit: Alex 2017-06-10
  • Buggy M.

Buggy M. - 2017-05-13

I started donation campaign to check interest of community. Unfortunately there is no activity.

If your tool solves the issue we're currently discussing, I'll happily donate. Consider putting your tool on GitHub which will not only draw other developers to help you with the program, but also sky-rocket its "fan-base". Please especially think about accepting anonymous donations via PaySafeCard - because that will be the only way I will donate, buddy. Privacy-geeks like donating in private, ya know... ;-)

Last edit: Buggy M. 2017-05-13
  • Kdmeizk

Kdmeizk - 2017-06-25

related to https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/features/thread/fa975105/

For the USB key method, this is what I would like yes. But your project is not a real part of VeraCrypt if I am not mistaken. Why your project is not directly in VeraCrypt?

Last edit: Kdmeizk 2017-06-25
  • Alex

Alex - 2017-06-25

Probably most of modification will be included in 1.20 final release of VeraCrypt

We've been working with Mounir. He had some personal issues for last half year. Future of VeraCrypt was not clear. This is the reason to start DCS project separately.

Configuration procedure of two factors authentication is in disk_encryption_v1_2.pdf. There are several steps from EFI shell.

• Kdmeizk

Kdmeizk - 2017-06-25

Ok I understand. Really sad to see that for the main developer. I hope it will be OK, VeraCrypt is very important, but obviously nobody forces you for logical reasons.

• Alex

Alex - 2017-06-25

I hope Mounir will return to project soon.

• Dag Hero

Dag Hero - 2018-03-01

The state of things is Alex needs funding for this project and he only has 3 possible sources of funding.

1- Users
    Unfortunatally no one has ever been able to install this software as intended as documentation is non existent. Alex is the smartest person in the world on UEFI, and he doesnt realise mortals (users) cant install or use his software. We are not as intelligent as you. We dont understand UEFI at all. The only thing I understand is when I look for a computer I look for BIOS support for MBR booting, as I will never buy a UEFI only computer again.

2- OEM
    Unfortunatally I doubt motherboard and embedded devices will approach Alex for this software as its GPL. I doubt they would start preinstalling it as it creates legal ramifications.
    I would love to just pay Mr. Alex to write a guide for users. He didnt bite on this.

3- backdoors as a subscription service

To alex: what is it going to take? I have cryptos. I need guide. Please do not choose option 3 for funding.

Users will come to software they understand and has a guide. You could increase your userbase if the tech/software was understandable. More users = more donations. I am praying you will TAKE MY MONEY to throw up a guide. Come on man.

• DJ Bonez

DJ Bonez - 2018-03-08

Step by step guide: Creating hidden OS in UEFI mode (v2.0)

• Dag Hero

Dag Hero - 2018-03-11

Copied from my other post

Why is that not in the "guide"? Is it because the information is wrong? Is it because the names of partitions dont matter? So I skim on.

Next step: Install windows to partition H_OS. Im thinking to myself, windows makes 4+ partitions during install, so now my drive is gonna have 8+ partitions. This will probabally break support for the guide. I dont see this working.

Next step: Add Shell.efi to rescue disk. I am going to open it in 7zip and add the file like the .iso was an archive. This is probabally going to break everything and not work. Since all this takes 4 hrs or so, im wasting it wondering what one of the many things in this "guide" I am messing up.

Next step: Boot from rescue disk with efi shell. Does that mean boot into efi shell from motherboard? Does that mean boot the disk and select an option of efi shell? I am guessing I need to boot the disk, and it will have an efi shell.... I guess.....

At that point I skimmed over the rest of the guide. Questions popped up at every single command. I am not stupid, but a guide should not be anywhere close to this hard.

Last edit: Dag Hero 2018-03-11
    • DJ Bonez

DJ Bonez - 2018-03-11

I'm sorry, my guide didn't helped you. I really spend a lot of time to make it as understandable as possible.
      But I didn't understand your problem either:
      1. Changing partition type to Recovery or ESP is detailed described - literally step by step. (Step 5.10.)
      2. I don't think, it's a mentionable problem, how to change the name of a partition, since it isn't related to disk encryption.
      But of course you should NOT have to search for complicated informations - but actually there really is no need to do this. Since Windows 98, I guess, the names of volumes can be changed at their properties in Windows Explorer.
      You don't have to format or even assign anything more than exactly described in my guide!
      3. I described the creating of partitions very detailed. If they are created correctly, Windows will use them without creating additional partitions.
      4. Shell.efi is hyperlinked to a file named Shell.efi. You have to put this file to the position described in Step 4.5.
      5. You have to boot from Shell.efi like described in Step 5.1.: Boot from RescueDisk (where Shell.efi is stored, too) and enter s to boot Shell.efi from it. I didn't get your problem.
      6. I still think, the guide is very simple compared to the complexity of this project. Maybe I will create another step by step guide on video to reliably clear up any misunderstandings.

I hope, you will be successful soon! The guide is working properly.
      If there are any further questions, feel free to ask directly.

Kind regards
      Bonez

Last edit: DJ Bonez 2018-03-11
  • Dag Hero

Dag Hero - 2018-03-11

Apparently I cant launch an efi shell on my 3k surfacebook. Its literally the best laptop ever, rip.

• DJ Bonez

DJ Bonez - 2018-03-12

If it runs in UEFI mode, of course you can boot from efi shell.

1. Create directory /EFI/Shell/ on VeraCrypt RescueDisk
      2. Put Shell.efi into this directory
      3. Plug in RescueDisk and boot laptop
      4. Press (probably) F2 to enter UEFI menu and move VeraCrypt Loader (EFI USB) to first position in boot order
      5. Let laptop boot from USB
      6. Press s and enter to start Shell.efi

• Ronald Morgan

Ronald Morgan - 2023-10-30

"Disk Cryptography Services offer robust security measures that are as reliable as the rigorous Degree Attestation for UAE. Protect your data with confidence!"

Last edit: Ronald Morgan 2023-11-13
  • Official PVA

Official PVA - 2023-11-08

I've been looking into Disk Cryptography Services to secure my sensitive data, but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone recommend a good software or service for this purpose?