MySQL 5 ?

Help
2007-08-08
2013-03-06
  • Ronald Krause

Ronald Krause - 2007-08-08

Is there a way to connect to MySQL 5.x ?

I have Delphi up to 2007. I tried to replace dbexpmysql.dll (from BDS 2006) and libmysql.dll, but it did not work.

Thank you for help.

• Ronald Krause

Ronald Krause - 2007-09-07

I found a way. To all who are interested:

Buy CoreLabs MySQL driver for dbexpress (www.crlab.com).
      Then open the advanced tab in connections, enter "dbexpmda.dll" as Library name and "getSQLDriverMySQLDirect" as GetDriverFunc. This worked for me. Not very open source, but a possibility.

• GruntZ

GruntZ - 2007-10-31

Hi,

I plan to use DBDfork (great job !) but have the same question about MySQL 5 compatibility.

Before made my choice, I have search and found this article :
      http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?49,81834,81834

Perhaps someone more experimented than me can try if this fix the problem.

And this one is Open Source Software ...

• Ronald Krause

Ronald Krause - 2007-10-31

It works. What I did is:
        - place the dll in the DesignerFork Program directory (C:\Program files\DBDesigner Fork\ - Open DBDesigerFork, click Database \ connect to database \ new database connection
        - set the connection parameters
        - on the "Advanced" tab enter GetDriverFunc=getSQLDriverMYSQL50 and LibraryName=dbxopenmysql50.dll
        - click ok

thats it.

I have not tested the drivers functions. But the connection worked.

• BES

BES - 2007-11-07

Also, move a copy of C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\libmySQL.dll to the directory.

• shreyder

shreyder - 2008-01-30

Another solution is to use ODBC for connecting to a MySQL5 database server. Just install the official MySQL Connector/ODBC, configure it and then configure DBDesigner to use ODBC.

• Phillip Street

Phillip Street - 2008-03-01

Well I've found that DBDesigner-Fork works pretty much straight from download without changing anything on the DBDesigner side, I didn't switch out any Dll's or anything like that.

If you're talking about the failure to connect error you usually get, it's just that DBDesigner is failing due to the new PASSWORD format that MySql switched to I think from version 4.1 onward.

All you need to do once you've got a user and database is change the password to the old format by doing an update statement and using the OLD_PASSWORD() function.

Something like:

use mysql;
      update user
      set Password = OLD_PASSWORD('the password')
      where User = 'your username';

You will probably need admin privileges to do that, so you may have to ask the DB admin if you can't do it. I forgot to also mention that the MySql server needs to be configured to allow OLD_PASSWORDs so check that too.

Hope that helps.

• Joao Paulo Schwarz Schuler

You can connect thru ODBC.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks