Menu

mkisofs remaster iso after syslinux.cfg edits

Help
Dave
2010-06-23
2013-05-21
  • Dave

Dave - 2010-06-23

I'm using DBAN to nuke a stack of drives I've accumulated. I've altered the default options to my liking in syslinux.cfg and want to rebuild the bootable .iso. No joy so far. Working in XP but could use a linux live CD if required.

I've exploded the .iso with 7zip, made my edits, and am now trying to rebuild the .iso with Win32 mkisofs. Must have an option out of whack as I can't quite get it to boot post edits.

Suggestions, a mkisofs command line, or other advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

D.

• Luke-LCSD

Luke-LCSD - 2010-07-19

I've been toying with this as well, with no luck. I'm far from an expert on mkisofs, but the last thing I tried was copying the img into the root and deleting the catalog, then running this command line to create the ISO:

mkisofs -no-emul-boot -b Bootable_NoEmulation.img -c ISOLINUX.CAT -o dban226.iso

Output:

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
    Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
     94.11% done, estimate finish Mon Jul 19 09:36:39 2010
    Total translation table size: 2048
    Total rockridge attribute bytes: 0
    Total directory bytes: 530
    Path table size(bytes): 10
    Max brk space used 0
    5317 extents written (10 MB)

Due to it not being urgent, I think I'm just going to document and hang it up until the surplus we love to use DBAN on requires i586. Maybe it needs a -r for rockridge(like the 1.0.7 modification) after -b to work correctly.

Hopefully this helps,
    Luke

• Luke-LCSD

Luke-LCSD - 2010-07-19

Oh, I forgot to mention. This method produces this while booting:

ISOLINUX 4.00 4.00-pre46 ETCDisolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...
    Boot failed: press a key to retry...

While a vanilla iso boots to the prompt.

• Dave

Dave - 2010-07-19

Workaround: I installed GRUB on the machine doing the wiping. I can specify the default options I want from there.

• Luke-LCSD

Luke-LCSD - 2010-07-19

Cool glad you found a way to get it swinging. I have this thread bookmarked, so if I ever get it going I'll post a how-to.

• Jordy O

Jordy O - 2010-09-24

I'm having the same issue.. I've tried to remaster the ISO but with no luck.

I've tried using ISO buster to pull the boot.img out of the original ISO and rebuilding it all with CDBunerXP (as suggested on the dban site) and still have no luck..

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-01-05

Here is one solution to the problem. Without really knowing what I was doing, I managed to get it working by stichting together different pieces from various sources. I used Ubuntu 10.10 on a i386 standard laptop - so nothing special OS and hardware wise.

Prerequisit: Download the original .iso file and put it in your home folder

Step 1: mount the original .iso to extract the files
    - Open a console and do:

{mkdir iso_mount new_iso
        sudo mount -o loop ~/dban-2.2.6_i586.iso iso_mount
        cp -a iso_mount/* new_iso
        umount iso_mount}[\code]
    Step 2: modify the files
    - The file extraced from the .iso will most likely be read-only. So, before editing, change the file permissions on the isolinux.cfg file
    - Make the changes to the isolinux.cfg that you want and save it. I only changed PROMPT 1 to PROMPT 0 in order for dban to start without any user interaction
    Step 3: Remaster the .iso
    This to me was the most challenging part, as I have no detailed knowledge of how this actually works and I do not find a conclusive guide.
    - Open a console and do:
        -[code]{cd ~/new_iso}[/code]    (you need to cd into the directory of the extracted files for mkisofs to find them)
        - [code]{sudo mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -b isolinux.bin -c isolinux.cat -o /tmp/bootable.iso ~/new_iso/}[\code]
            The options have the following function: (I do not know exactly how the commands work, explainations would be nice)
                -R: I do not know
                -no-emul-boot: Gets rid of the "Error - boot image has not an allowable size" problem
                -boot-info-table: Gets rid of the "Image checksum error, sorry...Boot failed: press a key to retry..." problem
                -b: set the bootable image file
                -c: set the catalog file (I do not know what this file actually does)
                -o: set output file
                ~/new_iso/: set the location of the files to be put in the image file
        - This will create a file bootable.iso file in /tmp/
    Step 4: Burn the .iso
    I used Brasero to burn the image to a disk. Burning the image should work with any cd authoring software.
    This worked for me. Disk booted and dban started wiping without user interaction.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-01-05

Here is one solution to the problem. Without really knowing what I was doing, I managed to get it working by stichting together different pieces from various sources. I used Ubuntu 10.10 on a i386 standard laptop - so nothing special OS and hardware wise.

Prerequisit: Download the original .iso file and put it in your home folder

Step 1: mount the original .iso to extract the files
    - Open a console and do:
    - mkdir iso_mount new_iso
    - sudo mount -o loop ~/dban-2.2.6_i586.iso iso_mount
    - cp -a iso_mount/* new_iso
    - umount iso_mount

Step 2: modify the files
    - The file extraced from the .iso will most likely be read-only. So, before editing, change the file permissions on the isolinux.cfg file
    - Make the changes to the isolinux.cfg that you want and save it. I only changed PROMPT 1 to PROMPT 0 in order for dban to start without any user interaction

Step 3: Remaster the .iso
    This to me was the most challenging part, as I have no detailed knowledge of how this actually works and I do not find a conclusive guide.
    - Open a console and do:
    - cd ~/new_iso (you need to cd into the directory of the extracted files for mkisofs to find them)
    - sudo mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -b isolinux.bin -c isolinux.cat -o /tmp/bootable.iso ~/new_iso/
    The options have the following function: (I do not know exactly how the commands work, explainations would be nice)
    -R: I do not know
    -no-emul-boot: Gets rid of the "Error - boot image has not an allowable size" problem
    -boot-info-table: Gets rid of the "Image checksum error, sorry…Boot failed: press a key to retry…" problem
    -b: set the bootable image file
    -c: set the catalog file (I do not know what this file actually does)
    -o: set output file
    ~/new_iso/: set the location of the files to be put in the image file
    - This will create a file bootable.iso file in /tmp/

Step 4: Burn the .iso
    I used Brasero to burn the image to a disk. Burning the image should work with any cd authoring software.

This worked for me. Disk booted and dban started wiping without user interaction.

Hope this helps.
    Regards

• Luke-LCSD

Luke-LCSD - 2011-01-10

Hmm, I'm going to give this a try tomorrow, thanks Stf!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-24

Stf's method worked for me. Thank you!

• Nec

Nec - 2011-04-01

Hi,

here the solution for all Windows Users. Im using mkisofs.exe to create a new iso.
    1. Step:

-Create Folder e.g. Test
    -Copy mkisofs.exe and cygwin1.dll to this folder.
    -Create a subfolder CD_root
    -Copy all files from dban-2.2.6_i586.iso to this subfolder, execpt ISOLINUX.CAT

2. Step

-modify the ISOLINUX.CFG in CD_root folder to your needs

3.Step

-run a cmd
    - go to the test folder
    -run mkisofs.exe
        use the following command:

mkisofs.exe -R -o output.iso -b ISOLINUX.BIN -c ISOLINUX.CAT -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table c:\Test\CD_root

this will create an iso named output.iso in the folder Test. Be aware of upper and lower letters of ISOLINUX.BIN.
    Here the Switchs:
    -boot-info-table            Patch boot image with info table, for my example all files in folder CD_root
    -no-emul-boot               Boot image is 'no emulation' image
    -R, -rock                   Generate Rock Ridge directory information, get rid of reading sector error

4. Step

-burn the output.iso

This works fine for me. Thanks Stf your Post was a great help to me.

Regards

• KMN_Kevin

KMN_Kevin - 2011-04-07

I followed Stf's post and managed to build an ISO.  Burned it using Brasero under Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit workstation.  Up till this point everything works as expected.  When I boot the DISC it appears isolinux starts to mount but then I get a flashing "_" and the system hangs with the PC speaker beeping.  I've tried multiple copies on multiple machines with the same result.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• KMN_Kevin

KMN_Kevin - 2011-04-07

If at first you don’t succeed… use XP?  Surprisingly, that worked where Ubuntu failed.

The difficult part seemed to be locating the non-native XP bits.  I’ll post links here in hopes to help the next person.

cygwin1.dll   ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/cygwin1.dll

mkisofs.exe  ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/cdrtools-1.11a12-win32-bin.zip

CDburnerXP  http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Grab those then follow Necroid’s instructions.  I built it on a Lenovo T60 with XP (32 bit) SP3.  Works great.

Good luck.