DBAN from external CD drive interrupted

Help
Anonymous
2012-12-19
2013-05-21
  • Anonymous - 2012-12-19

Hi. I was using DBAN 2.2.7 from an external DVD drive to wipe my hard drive before I installed a new OS. Unfortunately someone moved my laptop without carrying the external drive. The drive broke off from the cable and fell on the floor. I got error messages (white font, black background) that I didn't understand on my monitor, so I turned the laptop off, reconnected the drive (without getting the CD out) and tried again. It worked, except when I moved the laptop to the left, error messages popped up again.

Currently I'm running DBAN (I haven't moved the laptop, just to be sure). I haven't used DBAN 2.2.7 before this, so I don't know if this is something to note: when it starts up, a whole screen of black with white font similar to the error messages flashes before it pops back to the blue screen before the, uh, "main menu" page (um, sorry, you can tell I'm not a computer whiz).

Will what happened cause problems for my hard drive or laptop? And the DVD drive?

Thank you for reading.

• Scott

Scott - 2012-12-19

When you moved the laptop to the left, you say error messages popped up.  It is possible that when the external drive fell to the floor, it may have damaged the connectors on one the ends of the cable.  I suggest getting a new cable.  If it's not getting a good connection, data transfer could interrupt causing major problems down the road.  Another possibility, is that the cable is ok, but it may have damaged the pins where the cable plugs in to the hard drive.  When you get chance, unplug cable, and look carefully at the pins to see if there is any noticeable damage.  Probably not.  I suspect cable.  Look at the pins on both ends of the cable to see if any are loose or broken.  Also, you can connect the drive to another computer and while data is being read, move the cable on both ends alittle to see if an error occurs.  First thing to do is to test the drive and cable to see if any damage has occured.  Also, check the connector on your computer to see if any noticeable damage.  You can plug a different device into it to test it.  Since the drive fell to the floor, it may have become damaged as well.  No problems for the hard drive since it did not fall to the floor.  You can still wipe it clean by starting the process over with an external drive with no damage to it.

• Scott

Scott - 2012-12-19

mistake in my reply:  I said "damaged the pins where the cable plugs in to the hard drive".  I meant to say "damaged the pins where cable plugs into the computer".