How To Wipe Out Hard Drive on Gateway 700X with Windows XP

Help
cerni
2014-04-21
2014-05-26
  • cerni

cerni - 2014-04-21

I have an old Gateway 700X with Windows XP. I have downloaded DBAN 2.2.8 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media and have saved it on a CD. I have placed the CD in both the 16x/48x DVD-ROM Drive and the Recordable/ReWriteable CDRW and have rebooted the PC multiple times. However, it appears that the machine is not booting from the CD Drive. I have verified that the BIOS is set to ATAPI CDROM for the first entry, Floppy for the 2nd entry, and Hard Drive for the 3rd entry. What could I be doing wrong? Is my PC so old that I need an older version of Darik's Boot and Nuke? Or is it how I saved the file to the CD?

• cerni

cerni - 2014-05-26

I could not get DBAN to work. I bought WipeDrive and that worked.

For this issue: I have a Gateway Solo 5300 CX laptop with Windows ME Operating System. I would like to wipe the hard drive. I tried WipeDrive but after I get the first screen and hit enter (Step 1 - To begin the process, boot up WipeDrive and select the top "WipeDrive" option.), I get two lines
    loading init ??? ...........
    loading init ??? ........... ready.
    and then the screen goes black and nothing happens. I am guessing that WipeDrive doesn't work with ME? Or maybe the processor or memory is too small. This laptop was bought in 2001.

I had to buy KillDisk for DOS and that worked.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks