Accidentally erased HDD with wanted data

Help
hyg
2012-11-23
2013-05-21
  • hyg

hyg - 2012-11-23

Hello, im really sorry for asking stupid questions, but today I made an epic mistake. It has been a long day and i just autonuked with my external HDD used for backup plugged in. Ive found it out after few seconds and i just unplugged it. Now i cant see it in win (dont have any linux system at the moment).
    Is there any chance to get data back? It has been erased just for few seconds…
    Thanks guys

• Nomenludi

Nomenludi - 2013-01-02

Sorry, it's rather unlikely.  Usually the file allocation tables are wiped in the first few seconds which is where the file system (whether it's ext3, ntfs or anything else) keeps information about the location of your files.  Most of the file data will be intact on the disk but without this critical information it's very hard to reconstruct the disk.  If there is some particular bit of information (and if you were not running disk encryption software) you might get it back by dumping the disk to a file or using a disk editor on it, but unfortunately it's just vanishingly difficult to get all the files back.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks