No config file

Help
jgale
2010-06-16
2013-05-21
  • jgale

jgale - 2010-06-16

Hi
    I ripped DBAN to a CD and DVD, but both boot and say "ISOLINUX 4.00 … Error: No configuration file found."

I'm running Vista x64 on an HP G60 Notebook with an ATA drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• sierra guy

sierra guy - 2010-07-10

I've come into this as well, with another error.

ISOLINUX 4.00 4.00pre46 ETCD Comyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    reading sectors error(EDD)
    ERROR: No configuration file found

The target system is a Dell Latitude CPx J650GT, I downloaded the dban-2.2.6_i586.iso file into my MacOSX system, opened Disk Utility, opened the ISO image and selected Burn, inserted the CD and D/U burned and ejected nominally, put the CD in the Dell, reboot, and experienced the error. For media, I am using Sony CD-R 700mb discs.

I did do a sloppy copy of the files onto a 1gb USB stick, MS Dos formatted FAT, renamed the stick DBAN and simply copied the files over and rebooted the Dell, but it's most likely older and won't recognize the USB as a bootable device.

I'm really in a bind here as I was prepping this Dell to sell today. Anyone with any information please reply or email me.

• adrianr

adrianr - 2010-07-11

Hi,

I can't help, but I have had the same problem. I burnt Dban 2.2.6 iso to a CD-rom  on my desktop ( running XP-S2) with the same result as above. I then tried the same exercise on a laptop (Vista OS) with a freshly downloaded copy of Dban 2.2.6 iso, burnt the CD-rom on it and got exactly the same result as previously. I am wondering if the iso file has been corrupted at source but I have no idea how to find out.

• sam

sam - 2010-07-13

I'm having the exact same problem, I'm going to see if i can find an older version.  Same thing, (Vista, and on a laptop). 

• gardengal

gardengal - 2010-07-13

Same problem here too.   I burned  the 2.2.0-i586iso that I got from the sourceforge project page.   It was the only Download choice.    I burned it on my  Dell Win7-64 on regular CDR52x.   The target pc to wipe is a Compaq Presario Pentium 4 (is that 586???)     I put it in to boot and get an error right off.  I can't see the entire error because the horiz is shfited.  Something about sectors error (EDD).     Then_ No Configuration File found._

My prior attempt at this wipe picked up dban-1.0.7_i386 (perhaps from cnet.download.com) but it didn't work either.   It went into a loop wanting to write a log file to a formatted floppy (hit enter and wait).   I actually put a formatted floppy in, but it didn't help.

Even the 1.0.7 screenshots on the sourceforge.net.projects/dban page don't match what I got with my 1.0.7 burned iso.

I thought this was supposed to be SIMPLE :-(

This process seems very linux-centric.   I wonder if there is some linux-windows something out-of-sync?

• gardengal

gardengal - 2010-07-14

I looked at the ISO file contents and there is a file ISOLINUX.CFG.    No idea if that's correct or not for a Windows machine.  Here's a part of it:

I also ran CHKDSK on my 2 partitions and they were clean.

• gardengal

gardengal - 2010-07-14

fyi, I tried the 1.0.7 i386 again and it is working now.    Even though the left side of the screen was truncated and I couldn't see all the instructions, I typed autonuke and that seemed to do the trick.   Earlier attempt I entered ENTER which insisted I fix the floppy drive issue.       wipe in progress.   yea!

Good luck.

• Free Spirit

Free Spirit - 2010-07-19

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?   I am trying to wipe a hard disk in a Viglen computer and also get the "ISOLINUX 4.00 … Error: No configuration file found."  

Tried the v1.0.7 i386 iso but it can't find the hard drive (SATA), yet you can still boot the Windows XP that is on the drive.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Rek

Rek - 2010-07-20

Ran across the same thing today…

Inserted DVD/CD into the drive and turned off the comptuer.  Then powered it back on again and it read the disk perfectly.

On a second machine I had to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to get it to read after the above steps.

Weird, but it worked for me.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-08-02

Use DBAN 1.0.7.    1.0.7 = i386, 2.2.6 = i586.   The 2.2.6 that your trying to use is tripping up on something in your computer, the 1.0.7 should work fine.  (I had the same issue on a older P4 board and used 1.0.7 successfully.  On the same token I've used 2.2.6 on lots of other machines).

1.0.7 from this site:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-1.0.7/dban-1.0.7_i386.iso/download

-Allan

• Navi

Navi - 2010-08-28

I tried the 1.07, and it doesn't boot from the CD. I get the error no configuration file with the2.2.