Question about using Dban

Help
Ian
2012-03-07
2013-05-21
  • Ian

Ian - 2012-03-07

Hey guys, I want to do a COMPLETE wipe of my laptop to fresh completely fresh and I know simply reformatting does no do this. So I heard your program was good but I was wondering if in any way does it affect the BIOS? Basically is there anything that I should be cautious about when I do this. I have the OS on a disc, I have all the drivers on a disc along with the programs I use frequently. Also I have all my other important files on a disc. Now, is there anything else you guys would recommend reviewing before using this program? Thanks in advance.

• Scott

Scott - 2012-03-07

DBAN does not affect the BIOS, it does not make any changes to the BIOS and it does not wipe the BIOS out.  DBAN will only wipe the hard drive.  It does not cause any physical damage to the hard drive, sectors, etc.  It is perfectly safe to use.  You have everything you need to wipe your laptop and to begin reinstalling everything.  Many people wipe their drives and forget to have the drivers, some forget to backup important files, etc.  But, in your case, it looks like you have everything you need.  When backing up important files, your list of favorites in windows internet explorer, is not listed under 'my documents'.  So, many people don't know how to back up their favorite websites.  These are listed under 'My Computer', 'Local Disk C', 'Documents and Settings', choose user name, 'favorites'.

• Ian

Ian - 2012-03-07

Thanks a lot dude! You have made me feel at ease.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks